Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Since when did the term “an invalid” become not PC

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I'd love to trace back the evolution of language, I'd assume that 'retard' is derived from the french for 'late' , but I'd love to know how it ended up in everyday use as a descriptor for someone of reduced mental capacity.

"Retarded" means backward ie literally not up to ???? full intellect , same progress as others. etc ; hard to paraphrase! One of those words for which there is no true parallel. And those who use "retard" are just ignorant

I'd love to trace back the evolution of language, I'd assume that 'retard' is derived from the french for 'late' , but I'd love to know how it ended up in everyday use as a descriptor for someone of reduced mental capacity.

I think retard can mean “slow”; you can retard a throttle on an engine. I reckon it has the same root as “tardy”.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,381 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I think retard can mean “slow”; you can retard a throttle on an engine. I reckon it has the same root as “tardy”.

That's my understanding. Slow or delayed or late, that whole area. Like slowed development, delayed development or late development.

The word itself isn't insulting. It gathered an insulting connotation over time to the point that nowadays you wouldn't call someone a retard without meaning to insult them.

Advertisement