Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another pavlova question!

• 07-10-2020 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭

Hi There

I discovered why my pavlova leaked the sugar.
    According to Mary Berry on the BBC greatest home cook, you need to have the mixer at a medium speed, not a low speed.

So I'm delighted to have that mystery resolved but I've still one more issue I wonder if anyone has a suggestion for please.

When I cut into the pavlova, there's a gap between the soft marshmallowy centre and the outer "crust."
    So the pavlova looks like it's higher/taller than it actually is.

I bake it on the middle shelf of my oven.
    The oven is heated up at 140 then I turn it down to 130 when I put the pavlova in.
    Bake for an hour and allow to cool in the oven.

I use Delia Smyth recipe 3 Egg Whites, 6oz caster sugar.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭phormium

I'd have the mixer on high! Sure you'd get nowhere on low whatever about medium :)

I wouldn't leave it to fully cool in the oven, I prop the door ajar a bit and leave it in there for about 40 mins. You don't want it to keep drying out as it shrinks and this might be what is happening the soft inside bit although most pavlovas either have a gap or the top cracks and collapses which fills the gap, it's not a big issue. Nigella always turns hers upside down for putting on cream and fruit :)

This is an excellent recipe I got from someone else, it uses icing sugar which generally already has a bit of cornflour in it so that helps with the marshmallow texture as most pavlova recipes have added cornflour and vinegar usually. Never an issue with weeping as the icing sugar dissolves much easier than caster sugar.

125g icing sugar for every 2 egg whites so whatever size you want it to be. Put all the egg white into your bowl and add a few tablespoons of icing sugar. Mix to combine for about 15 seconds. Add in the rest of the icing sugar in one go. Whisk slowly to start and then turn up to full and beat until stiff and glossy. This can take up to 8/10 minutes depending on how many eggs you're using. Spoon onto a parchment lined baking tin, about 2 inches thick. Bake at approx 135 fan for about 40 minutes, turn off oven, prop door slightly open and leave it there for about 40 mins. It will be crispy on the outside and squidgy in the middle

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭ellejay

phormium wrote: »
    I'd have the mixer on high! Sure you'd get nowhere on low whatever about medium :)

I wouldn't leave it to fully cool in the oven, I prop the door ajar a bit and leave it in there for about 40 mins. You don't want it to keep drying out as it shrinks and this might be what is happening the soft inside bit although most pavlovas either have a gap or the top cracks and collapses which fills the gap, it's not a big issue. Nigella always turns hers upside down for putting on cream and fruit :)

This is an excellent recipe I got from someone else, it uses icing sugar which generally already has a bit of cornflour in it so that helps with the marshmallow texture as most pavlova recipes have added cornflour and vinegar usually. Never an issue with weeping as the icing sugar dissolves much easier than caster sugar.

125g icing sugar for every 2 egg whites so whatever size you want it to be. Put all the egg white into your bowl and add a few tablespoons of icing sugar. Mix to combine for about 15 seconds. Add in the rest of the icing sugar in one go. Whisk slowly to start and then turn up to full and beat until stiff and glossy. This can take up to 8/10 minutes depending on how many eggs you're using. Spoon onto a parchment lined baking tin, about 2 inches thick. Bake at approx 135 fan for about 40 minutes, turn off oven, prop door slightly open and leave it there for about 40 mins. It will be crispy on the outside and squidgy in the middle

Thanks for the reply Phormium.
    Are you saying that really everyone gets that?
    I know cream and fruit hides it but I just wondered if I could do something to prevent it.
    Handy tip to increase the size!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I have exactly the same problem with mine and I use Delia's recipe too. It looks fabulous at first then it collapses because of the gap.
    So phormium, am I right in saying that with your recipe you add some sugar before the egg whites have been beaten?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,682 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Could you use a springform tin for pavlova or does it have to be a flat baking sheet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭swiwi_

As long as you know pavlova is from NZ and not Australia the rest is immaterial

(it takes practice to get the egg whites and the oven settings just right)

• Advertisement

Yes I would say everyone gets gaps and cracks in it, pavlova does that, it rises and then contracts on cooling :) I honestly wouldn't even notice that if I had them, it's all being covered up anyway, probably the main reason why it is decorated like that! :)

Yes you add a little sugar first and beat briefly and then add the rest.

I wouldn't be too inclined to use a springform pan as you will have to line the sides with parchment to stop it sticking but I suppose if you want to do that it's fine, is it the only thing you have to use? I'd be more inclined to put a sheet of parchment over the base of the pan and pile straight onto that without the sides.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Thanks, I'll give that a try next time :)

Luckily with Pavlova nobody else notices or cares, once there's lots of cream and fruit on top! I use equal parts mascarpone cheese and cream with a little vanilla extract.

Yes pavlova is never going to be a neat dessert anyway, I like to make them in different shapes to add the interest rather than try get a perfect finish, a big one in the shape of a flat Christmas tree shape is a great one for the festive season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

I like to make individual pavlovas, they make for neater presentation. They're my go to dessert when I have guests, lots of options, toasted hazelnuts in the meringue with cream, raspberries and melted dark chocolate drizzled over. Passion fruit curd and pineapple or lime curd and mango and toasted coconut. Everything can be ready just a bit of last minute assembly and they're not too heavy.

Advertisement