Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Separate Water Connection

Options
  • 07-10-2020 2:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Hi

We are in the process of buying a house that currently is only connected to water through the neighbours mains connection (the houses used to be owned by the same family)

We have been told we will need get a new water connection which is proving very costly. We are roughly 27 - 30 metres from the mains so it's quite expensive.

Is it not possible to keep the current connection but have a seperate meter? Or does it have to be a new connection altogether? The house has been lived in and has had water in the past it is currently just switched off to the house we are looking at.

Any info would be appreciated thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭ec_pc

In a somewhat similar situation myself. Firstly, is the connection from your neighbours pipe on the house side of the meter or the mains side?

Highly unlikely it is on the mains side, but if it is it does change the responsibilities perhaps. My advice is to think this over carefully before approaching Irish water in any detail as their default position is customer pays.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Gemma_22

ec_pc wrote: »
    In a somewhat similar situation myself. Firstly, is the connection from your neighbours pipe on the house side of the meter or the mains side?

Highly unlikely it is on the mains side, but if it is it does change the responsibilities perhaps. My advice is to think this over carefully before approaching Irish water in any detail as their default position is customer pays.

Hi

We are not 100% sure on that we are waiting on a few men from the council water dept to come look at it and see the full extent of what's happening. What we've been told by the estate agent is the water is a bit of a mystery, which isnt much good to us going forward haha!

Advertisement