Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New heating system for renovation

• 07-10-2020 4:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭

Looking at getting a new heating system in a very old house, the current system has radiators running of solid fuel stoves. Looking to keep the radiators (getting UFH would cost an arm and a leg) and oil.

Would it be sensible to use a heat pump to get the water to a certain temperature and then use oil to get it to a higher temperature for use in radiators and what would be the main parts of a system like this outside of a heat pump and oil boiler?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 216 ✭✭Latro

How many hours per day do you run your oil heating on average cold day and how many hours when it gets very cold, lets say -5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

Currently don't have oil to run, but one of the solid fuel stoves is lit all day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 436 ✭✭searay

ARGINITE wrote: »
    Currently don't have oil to run, but one of the solid fuel stoves is lit all day.

We have just upgraded a 20 year old house from oil to Heat pump using radiators. To make it work, the insulation had to be improved considerably and we had to add and upgrade radiators.Air tightness improvements also made including windows replaced.

It is a much warmer and more comfortable house as a result and I see it as an investment for the next 20 years. I’m glad we’ve done it but can’t say I’d the running cost saving fully justifies it.

I think you have to consider whether you are willing to invest in a full upgrade of the house or just a basic upgrade.

Advertisement