Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Councillors hoping to bring 'rainbow crossing' to West Cork town

Options
  • 07-10-2020 5:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Specialun

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/munster/arid-40060616.html

I just think this is daft and no real need. Isnt a zebra crossing for safety purposes over to make statements

Am I allowed to be against this or would I be branded homophobe or whatever if I say I'm against this

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭magic_murph

prob branded more a bore bag than anything else

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

I've seen these in various cities (I think there might be one in Dublin somewhere?), and they look quite gaudy and get very grubby looking very quickly.

On the basis of aesthetics and a nice looking public realm alone, I'd say no to this.

Also, as alluded to above, a zebra crossing is a well-understood road marking and for safety purposes, is it not a bad idea to be screwing around with that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

As one of the regular shirtlifters here, we have much bigger things to be concerned about at the moment than a rainbow crossing. It's just virtue signalling.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,307 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Homophobe! Get him!

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭downwesht

Clonakilty always want to be the"first" to do everything in West Cork!Personally I think the crossings should be left alone,many people have difficulty recognising the proper ones.One accident at one of the coloured ones and who is reponsible????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,284 ✭✭✭Archeron

Won't somebody think of the automous cars?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

It's no harm ffs. If it makes some gay folk feel accepted great. If it does nothing, it's not going to cause any bother. Mind some legion of Mary type might vandalise it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,504 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Going to make crossing the road very difficult when someone's tripp'in balls on drugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭kirving

Bowie wrote: »
    It's no harm ffs. If it makes some gay folk feel accepted great. If it does nothing, it's not going to cause any bother. Mind some legion of Mary type might vandalise it.

I have absolutely zero issue with flags, signs, painted paths, etc.

But road markings are very definitely a safety feature which should not be changed without an engineered approach. Their design has been arrived at over decades of iterations to address safety concerns and be absolutely as clear as possible.

They are specifically painted white or yellow to have high contrast against the tarmacdam, to be standardised across Europe, are sized depending on the road type, speed, hazards, potential weather, among other things, using a tried and tested approach.

Road markings are a science, not a political statement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Standard pure hue of 'Purple' upon black tarmac, has a ratio of 2.22954140864877 / 20 (accessibility fail) with Relative Luminance of just 0.06147707043243851.

Insurance claim pedestrian hobbists, will be tripping over themselves onto Mercs, for easy compo cash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Standard pure hue of 'Purple' upon black tarmac, has a ratio of 2.22954140864877 / 20 (accessibility fail) with Relative Luminance of just 0.06147707043243851.

Insurance claim pedestrian hobbists, will be tripping over themselves onto Mercs, for easy compo cash.

also any time somebody brakes a bit hard on them, theres a story about the tyre marks being a 'homophobic incident' and thus giving the perpetually outraged more airtime and the gardai more work.

its a no from me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

I have absolutely zero issue with flags, signs, painted paths, etc.

But road markings are very definitely a safety feature which should not be changed without an engineered approach. Their design has been arrived at over decades of iterations to address safety concerns and be absolutely as clear as possible.

They are specifically painted white or yellow to have high contrast against the tarmacdam, to be standardised across Europe, are sized depending on the road type, speed, hazards, potential weather, among other things, using a tried and tested approach.

Road markings are a science, not a political statement.

Changing them would also require the law itself to be changed in the Dáil, at a cost of several hundred thousand euros.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,521 ✭✭✭✭Water John

See one in Wellington NZ, looked fine.
    They now sometimes have Maori figurines on the green pedestrian cross signs. Is that a problem too?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Not sure messing around with road markings is the way to go. More flags or some public art would be a better bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,032 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Water John wrote: »
    See one in Wellington NZ, looked fine.
    They now sometimes have Maori figurines on the green pedestrian cross signs. Is that a problem too?

It’s grand in New Zealand, but it would be a bit odd in West Cork. Bordering on the cultural appropriation even.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Bowie wrote: »
    Mind some legion of Mary type might vandalise it.

Projecting your own inner bully?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,432 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Seamai wrote: »
    As one of the regular shirtlifters here, we have much bigger things to be concerned about at the moment than a rainbow crossing. It's just virtue signalling.

Whether for or against anyone who's biggest worry is if a crossing is zebra or rainbow is living a blessed life

• Registered Users Posts: 26,432 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

It’s grand in New Zealand, but it would be a bit odd in West Cork. Bordering on the cultural appropriation even.

Sean Og could do some Fijian ones and youde be.in the clear

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Road signs and markings should not be tampered with to make statements about being PC.
    They would do better to ensure that all signs and markings were properly maintained.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I love rainbow colours so I like it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Paul Hayes, the guy who leftSF?
    Sounds like he's trying to win some progressive votes.

I'm against it solely because of the virtue signalling and the political message baked into LGBT these days, but I don't live there.
    Let the people of Clonakilty decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭km991148

Water John wrote: »

Now that would be confusing over here :pac:, but f it - why not!

Who actually gets upset over this sorta thing? Where exactly is the harm, at worst, it might actually be a small bit if virtue signaling, but very mildly so...

So many other things to get upset over..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

I'm surprised it's not cobh who wants it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Specialun wrote: »
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/munster/arid-40060616.html

I just think this is daft and no real need. Isnt a zebra crossing for safety purposes over to make statements

Am I allowed to be against this or would I be branded homophobe or whatever if I say I'm against this
    It's actually a homophobic move because they want to install a non standard crossing for gay people which may result in them being involved in a collision.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,521 ✭✭✭✭Water John

s1ippy wrote: »
    It's actually a homophobic move because they want to install a non standard crossing for gay people which may result in them being involved in a collision.

You mean only gay people can use it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭km991148

s1ippy wrote: »

I think there has been a slight misunderstanding :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Re: safety, couldn’t white lines be painted on each side?

Ooh getting rid of the black lines... bit racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,642 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Don't see much harm, don't see much point.

• Advertisement

osarusan wrote: »
    Don't see much harm, don't see much point.

Well put.

Advertisement