Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Councillors hoping to bring 'rainbow crossing' to West Cork town

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭ Hayden Chilly Pedicure

colourblind people affected by it no?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,461 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Woah...

P R O G R E S S I V E

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Are you allowed to use it if you arent too pushed by the gays?

I will petition for a heterosexual crossing in Letterkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,819 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

With all going on in the country at the moment to want to implement this is a bloody joke, no wonder Trump gets votes, he's against this complete load of bollix boxticking becoming mainstream.

All driving test documentation and training will need to be updated to make this legal, potential cost a few million, seriously?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

With all going on in the country at the moment to want to implement this is a bloody joke, no wonder Trump gets votes, he's against this complete load of bollix boxticking becoming mainstream.

All driving test documentation and training will need to be updated to make this legal, potential cost a few million, seriously?

You are missing the point, the right-on middle class of the town need a chance to show how sophisticated and cosmopolitan they are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,819 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

John Doe1 wrote: »
    You are missing the point, the right-on middle class of the town need a chance to show how sophisticated and cosmopolitan they are.

Why not paint a brick wall with some mural if they want attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭quokula

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Whether for or against anyone who's biggest worry is if a crossing is zebra or rainbow is living a blessed life

Yep, amazing to see so many people getting so offended by it. What happened to free speech? Cancel culture at its finest. Snowflakes offended by a multicoloured crossing :rolleyes: don’t they have anything better to worry about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Ooh getting rid of the black lines... bit racist.

I know this is a joke but, eh, don’t zebra crossings tend to just have white lines? And then just the tarmac in between?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

quokula wrote: »
    Yep, amazing to see so many people getting so offended by it. What happened to free speech? Cancel culture at its finest. Snowflakes offended by a multicoloured crossing :rolleyes: don’t they have anything better to worry about.

You do know you're on a discussion forum? :pac:

If you're easily offended by people expressing their opinions and etc ....

I know this is a joke but, eh, don’t zebra crossings tend to just have white lines? And then just the tarmac in between?

So you dont even acknowledge the blacks are there. Only see the whites.

Hell of a statement to make publicly in these times. I applaud your honesty.

White Crossings Matter.

(Joking obviously).

My serious contribution: rainbow crossings are a stupid idea that dont do anything for anyone. If I hate gay people, my opinion wont change by messing with the road markings.

If I was gay myself, I'd like to think I didnt need to be made a spectacle of and it become my defining personality trait.

I know a few gay people. I know a few black people. I dont feel the need to show them how much I accept them for being gay or black by hanging rainbow pictures in my house or such. I dont care if they're gay or black or asian or any other minority.

Surely the best way to show you arent a massive homophobic racist, is simply to demonstrate indifference? Not make them uncomfortable by singling people out, even if you are well intentioned..?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

So you dont even acknowledge the blacks are there. Only see the whites.

Hell of a statement to make publicly in these times. I applaud your honesty.

White Crossings Matter.

(Joking obviously).

My serious contribution: rainbow crossings are a stupid idea that dont do anything for anyone. If I hate gay people, my opinion wont change by messing with the road markings.

If I was gay myself, I'd like to think I didnt need to be made a spectacle of and it become my defining personality trait.

I know a few gay people. I know a few black people. I dont feel the need to show them how much I accept them for being gay or black by hanging rainbow pictures in my house or such. I dont care if they're gay or black or asian or any other minority.

Surely the best way to show you arent a massive homophobic racist, is simply to demonstrate indifference? Not make them uncomfortable by singling people out, even if you are well intentioned..?

Well, yeah, I’m a notorious racist. Duh!

I love rainbow colours so for that reason I’d like to see rainbow crossings. But I have to agree that marking somebody out as different isn’t the way to go. I never once thought about Leo Varadkar being gay when he was Taoiseach. Why would I?

I find much of the preachy stuff since the Floyd murder to be pretty divisive. I believe it will breed resentment.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,432 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

quokula wrote: »

Ya but road signs and that. People are very concerned about road markings in Ireland which is why all the cycle lanes are full of cars in Ireland and everyone parks on double yellows.
    "Won't somebody please think of the children"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

Gay people of Ireland, your troubles are over !! We give you.....<drum roll> A Colourful Road Crossing in West Cork ! You are Welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,347 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

sabat wrote: »
    Changing them would also require the law itself to be changed in the Dáil, at a cost of several hundred thousand euros.

The councillors can go fund it themselves out of their own pockets.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

https://vancouversun.com/news/crime/west-vancouvers-pride-crosswalk-vandalized

This is a real headline. Police actually investigated a skidmark.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,432 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

keano_afc wrote: »

That's absolutely amazing
    On a side note I tried to read a sports report on that paper once that read like a teenagers Twitter. The guy used phrases likes like "oh no they didn't" and OMG in what is supposed to be the classy paper in Vancouver

• Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

keano_afc wrote: »

They should be able to get DNA off it.

Seamai wrote: »
    As one of the regular shirtlifters here, we have much bigger things to be concerned about at the moment

Yeah, one of which is being called a "shirtlifter" by some asshole. :rolleyes:

(ninja edit!!! I don't mean you obviously, sorry!!!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

downwesht wrote: »
    Clonakilty always want to be the"first" to do everything in West Cork!

What is it about people in west Cork in general, you never hear anyone say that they are from 'east Cork' or 'north Cork', they just say they are from Cork. But the westies seem to like to distinguish themselves from the rest of the county for some reason, are they a bit up themselves down there or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

Muahahaha wrote: »
    What is it about people in west Cork in general, you never hear anyone say that they are from 'east Cork' or 'north Cork', they just say they are from Cork. But the westies seem to like to distinguish themselves from the rest of the county for some reason, are they a bit up themselves down there or something?

Now that you mention it ya, never heard of anyone from North Cork they love to mention they're from West Cork though. :pac:

Nice beaches there though in fairness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,521 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Any more remote locations tend to create a self identity. The tail end of West Cork is 100 miles/ 160 km from the city. Youghal is only 30 miles/48km from the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

yeah true, its just funny though as 'West Cork' is almost like a brand now at this stage and you always hear people mention it, especially those from there!

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭dd973

Remember OP, you're allowed any equality you want these days as long as it isn't this sort...

€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€£££££££££££££££££££££££££££$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Gervais08

Generally speaking, it’s a cracking idea and I’ve been to cities all over with them - but yeah when it is the main functional crossing on a main road, there can be safety issues.

What got me was Bake Off the other night talking about the rainbow “it’s something that came from America but for me it’s all about the NHS!”

Oh just f**k off with that!!!! It’s been the recognised Pride symbol for decades - hands off!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Water John wrote: »
    See one in Wellington NZ, looked fine.
    They now sometimes have Maori figurines on the green pedestrian cross signs. Is that a problem too?

We should do one with our own ethnic minority brethren , Irish Travellers.

I read this in a David Brent accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭rightmove

black lines matter

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Gervais08

rightmove wrote: »
    black lines matter

Am i racist if I prefer White Lines as a jam ???

• Registered Users Posts: 16,347 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Muahahaha wrote: »
    yeah true, its just funny though as 'West Cork' is almost like a brand now at this stage and you always hear people mention it, especially those from there!

They've West Cork branded everything from black puddings to unsolved murders now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

Irish people are definitely showing signs of dropping IQs.

• Advertisement
Advertisement