Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MacBook additional screen

Options
  • 07-10-2020 5:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭

Hello

Not sure if I'm posting this in the correct forum so apologies if that is the case.

I am currently working from home and have a 2014 13" MacBook Pro and a Dell monitor (24 inch) connected via HDMI (so I have 2 screens - Dell and MB).

What I would like to do is have 2 large screens i.e. 2 24 inch screens. If I purchase another screen, is it possible on the MacBook with some sort of HDMI extender as the MB only has 1 HDMI port? So I would basically be using the MacBook for nothing more than powering the system i.e. I would get a keyboard/mouse.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭ddarcy

Alerium wrote: »
    Hello

Not sure if I'm posting this in the correct forum so apologies if that is the case.

I am currently working from home and have a 2014 13" MacBook Pro and a Dell monitor (24 inch) connected via HDMI (so I have 2 screens - Dell and MB).

What I would like to do is have 2 large screens i.e. 2 24 inch screens. If I purchase another screen, is it possible on the MacBook with some sort of HDMI extender as the MB only has 1 HDMI port? So I would basically be using the MacBook for nothing more than powering the system i.e. I would get a keyboard/mouse.

Thanks

Yes you’ll need to buy an adaptor. You should have a free thunderbolt port and you can get a hdmi thunderbolt connector. They’re fairly cheap now as well too. So I would check that. I’m fairly certain those MacBook Pro’s have a couple thunderbolt ports.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

I use cables like this one.
    If you're in Dublin, I have a spare.

There's an HDMI version too.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Alerium

JoyPad wrote: »
    I use cables like this one.
    If you're in Dublin, I have a spare.

There's an HDMI version too.

Hey thanks for that - is thunderbolt the same as mini-DP?

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Alerium

ddarcy wrote: »
    Yes you’ll need to buy an adaptor. You should have a free thunderbolt port and you can get a hdmi thunderbolt connector. They’re fairly cheap now as well too. So I would check that. I’m fairly certain those MacBook Pro’s have a couple thunderbolt ports.

Thanks - had a look there and yeah they're fairly cheap. You're right, there are 2 TB ports on the 2014 MB Pro. I read the new ones all need adapters etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭ddarcy

Thanks - had a look there and yeah they're fairly cheap. You're right, there are 2 TB ports on the 2014 MB Pro. I read the new ones all need adapters etc.

Yes the new MacBook Pro’s only have usb-c (thunderbolt 3). So you need to get a usbc-hdmi cable or they have the adapter things as well.

If buying id definitely read reviews. Some non apple products have issues (not all, but definitely some). I’d been a few years since I used that macbook spec, so don’t quite remember what my company used there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

Hey thanks for that - is thunderbolt the same as mini-DP?

Your MBP has TB ports which are compatible with mini-DP cables.
    Read all the facts here.

Advertisement