Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Grievance with Church of Ireland

• 07-10-2020 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭

Who do i report A Clergyman who Snubs his parishioners and is two busy to Make Contact with and not Fulfilling his Work Commitments to

Thanks in Advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭Tork

The Bishop?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Dare I ask, but have you tried attending one of his services - you know - in the church?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭jmlad2020

His supervisor... Don't the church of Ireland have Bishops or the equivalent? Bear in mind you are asking this question to a probably majority Catholic audience

torrevieja wrote: »
    Wow Lot of Wasters in here tonight this a Genuine Question what a bunch of ?????

You didn't answer my question - attend one of his Sunday services - I assume he opens the church on a Sunday?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭davetherave

I don't know about C of I, but your Parish may be in a grouping with other nearby parishes. If it is then that grouping might have a Moderator who would be one of the Priests of a Parish in that group. This might only be an RC thing though.

I'd suggest the next step then would be to contact your Diocese office and address your concerns to them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭torrevieja

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Dare I ask, but have you tried attending one of his services - you know - in the church?

Its Not about me Dare Its Parishoners in General of the Church, Some People Can not go Unfortunately

I don't know about C of I, but your Parish may be in a grouping with other nearby parishes. If it is then that grouping might have a Moderator who would be one of the Priests of a Parish in that group. This might only be an RC thing though.

I'd suggest the next step then would be to contact your Diocese office and address your concerns to them?

A Letter and Emails were sent to the Archbishop who just ignored them Sad Really. guess the whole set up is a Clan...

It all sounds a tall story. The OP comes on looking for advice of who to contact to report a clergyman and later states that the Archbishop has already been contacted. Queen Elizabeth II is head of the Church of England, Defender of the Faith etc.etc. so you could always drop her an email as there's no Pope to appeal to in the Anglican community. :D

What are you talking about ? Yes the Archbishop was contcted ,i had done that sorry i ddnt mention this at beginnin,

yea a big consirpacy goin on here

I do suffer from dylslexia

Sorry i asked the question, No Wonder People Dont bother Askin

Mods delete this Thread Please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭km991148

What are you talking about ? Yes the Archbishop was contcted ,i had done that sorry i ddnt mention this at beginnin,

I have nothing to add, except report posts that are nonsense.

I don't know why people feel the need to be heard even they have burning useful to say..

On a Christianity forum as well lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

What exactly has this person done (or not done)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Crasp

jmlad2020 wrote: »
    His supervisor... Don't the church of Ireland have Bishops or the equivalent? Bear in mind you are asking this question to a probably majority Catholic audience

Where does the OP specify that it's a Church of Ireland issue? (Prior to mentioning the archbishop).
    Who do i report A Clergyman who Snubs his parishioners and is two busy to Make Contact with and not Fulfilling his Work Commitments to

Thanks in Advance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭faolteam

Its Sad really the OP asks a question obviously has a Dyslexia Issue,

Then gets blasted with Smart Remarks by the Keyboard Warriors,

Im sure it takes a lot to come in here and post a question under those circumstances

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Mod: A lot of new posters to Christianity forum in this thread, so firstly welcome. It appears unfortunately that some of you have not read the charter which includes the following;
    1. The purpose of this forum is to discuss Christian belief in general, and specific elements of it, between Christians and non-Christians alike. This forum has the additional purpose of being a point on Boards.ie where Christians may ask other Christians questions about their shared faith. In this regard, Christians should not have to defend their faith from overt or subtle attack.

and

6. Do not post anything intended to inflame or insult. The goal of this forum is to be a place where ideas relating to Christianity are expounded, debated and challenged. While discussion is encouraged, each member is expected to remain within the boundaries of taste and decency. If you disagree with a opinion expressed, please do so in a well mannered fashion.

I've deleted a number of posts that fail to meet these very basic criteria, any further such posts will first get infracted and then deleted. Repeated posts of this nature will get the poster banned from this forum.

Apologies if this seems a bit harsh but we've had a number of reports that this forum is subject to ongoing low level trolling which needs to be dealt with. If you've any comments on this, please make them in the feedback forum here, do not post in thread. Thanks for your attention.

Mod: Rather than deleting the thread at this point, I've deleted all the offensive posts and will deal with any posters who continue in this manner. Let me know if you'd like to continue with the thread on that basis or would still like to see it deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭karlitob

Thanks in Advance

God.

I’m only surprised that the all-seeing, all-powerful deity hasn’t done something already.

karlitob wrote: »
    God.

I’m only surprised that the all-seeing, all-powerful deity hasn’t done something already.

Mod: Carded for breach of the forum charter. Next one will be a ban from this forum. Please do not post here again without reading the charter. Do not reply to this in thread, we have a feedback thread for that purpose. Thanks for your attention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,712 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Thanks in Advance
    Is he your clergyman? If not, butt out, for two reasons. First, you are not well-positioned to solve problems between a clergyman and his flock; this is a relationship that you are not involved in. Secondly, this is not your business.

If he is your clergyman, your first step, obviously, is to talk to him. Let him know of the problems you perceive, listen to his view of the matter, try to find common ground, etc. Complaining about your clergyman before you have talked to your clergyman is (a) rude and (b) not a very promising way of improving his relationship with you and with the rest of his flock, which is the outcome you want here.

Right. He is your clergyman, and you have tried without success to resolve directly with him the problems you perceive. If you think the problems, and your lack of success in resolving them, are the fault of the clergyman your next port of call is the bishop (assuming we are talking about an episcopally-governed denomination here). And I see from the thread that you have in fact already contacted the bishop, but don't feel you got a hearing.

At this point, if I were you, I'd be thinking about whether I was in the right denomination/congregation. If both the priest and the bishop are basically dismissing you and your concerns, this begins to look like a systemic problem rather than an individual lapse Do you really want to be part of a community that treats you like this/that you can't get on with? That's obviously a decision only you can make. But if you do decide to stay, you may want to work on some strategy for improving your relationship with them/finding out what is wrong. And, again, this involves going and talking to them about why you feel disregarded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

If it IS church of Ireland, and the person is Rector, then you can contact the bishop if you like, but honestly? it will make no difference.

(I am a C of I lay reader BTW, so this is correct)

In the C of I, the rector is pretty much boss. so long as they have a service on a Sunday they can spend the rest of the week playing Call of Duty in their pants, the bishop can cajole them and ask them to do a bit more, but otherwise, tough.

If its a curate, or a Bishop's curate, then different story.

realistically, talk to them, if it makes no difference tell them that you're going to a different church.

and go.

Crasp wrote: »
    Where does the OP specify that it's a Church of Ireland issue? (Prior to mentioning the archbishop).

The OP altered the title of the thread and their first post. I had no idea that they were dyslexic or I would have been less dismissive - I thought that it was just the usual lazy Boards user attitude to spelling. Apologies for any offence to the OP, anyway the thread with title altered now makes the question even harder to answer as the specific denomination is important. I'm out so no need to thread ban me. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭homer911

OP should contact the secretary of the Parish Select Vestry (if COI). They would be obliged to discuss at their next meeting and reply in writing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭km991148

The OP altered the title of the thread and their first post. I had no idea that they were dyslexic or I would have been less dismissive - I thought that it was just the usual lazy Boards user attitude to spelling. Apologies for any offence to the OP, anyway the thread with title altered now makes the question even harder to answer as the specific denomination is important. I'm out so no need to thread ban me. :)

Op probably fecked off after last night's nonsense..

(after the usual offensive boards users attitude towards others)

Maybe try not to allow other peoples actions upset you so much and it won't cause an issue in the future?

No folks I did think about not coming back but I feel I may have not explained myself very good maybe the nature of my issue, which I don't like bringing up

Ok so I'll try to explain it better my father belongs to a parish and because of Covid he has not been to Church of Ireland, he is over 85 and of course watches the TV service etc,
    It was in asking when I called to him I asked him if the Rector had been in touch and he said no not even a phone call, since February and which I was taken back a bit considering that there are Two Clergymen in this parish and does it really take much to make a phone call, by the way the father wasn't and wouldn't expect anyone to visit under the circumstances,
    I don't go to this church

I spoke to a select vestry who has said this person does or has not been in touch with anyone and they are clueless to his manner

This the reason why I wanted to air my views which I did to the Archbishop of Dublin through email and letter who just totally ignored my query.

So I guess that what o wanted to know who next .
    It's intersesting to hear people her saying that Clergymen are pretty much there own boss, I think the church is run like a business now and the Hierarchy have forgot there Flock,

Ps I got this typed for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

No folks I did think about not coming back but I feel I may have not explained myself very good maybe the nature of my issue, which I don't like bringing up

Ok so I'll try to explain it better my father belongs to a parish and because of Covid he has not been to Church and he is over 85 and of course watches the TV service etc,
    It was in asking when I called to him I asked him if the Rector had been in touch and he said no not even a phone call, since February and which I was taken back a bit considering that there are Two Clergymen in this parish and does it really take much to make a phone call, by the way the father wasn't and wouldn't expect anyone to visit under the circumstances,
    I don't go to this church

I spoke to a select vestry who has said this person does or has not been in touch with anyone and they are clueless to his manner

This the reason why I wanted to air my views which I did to the Archbishop of Dublin through email and letter who just totally ignored my query.

So I guess that what o wanted to know who next .
    It's intersesting to hear people her saying that Clergymen are pretty much there own boss, I think the church is run like a business now and the Hierarchy have forgot there Flock,

Ps I got this typed for me
    That is poor form you'd think someone from the church would have got in touch once or twice with a letter or a phone call, especially if it is a small congregation.

I don't think there is much you can do. Probably a bit late now but a good approach might be to ask them to keep in touch with your father rather than giving out that they didn't. If they still ignored your dad you would have better grounds for complaint after that. I'm not COI though so I dunno how or if a complaint would work.

If it IS church of Ireland, and the person is Rector, then you can contact the bishop if you like, but honestly? it will make no difference.

(I am a C of I lay reader BTW, so this is correct)

In the C of I, the rector is pretty much boss. so long as they have a service on a Sunday they can spend the rest of the week playing Call of Duty in their pants, the bishop can cajole them and ask them to do a bit more, but otherwise, tough.

I think Martinedwards sums it up here The Church of Ireland, Clergymen get well paid there car changed every two years, House to live in and don't give a Damm about there Parishoners or there Staff,they are there own Self Employed Hob Nobs,
    The Church of Ireland is run as a Buisiness, i could say more about that but ill leave it for another Day,

I would love if someone was to do a Documentary on this and the way these people live and treat their Parishoners.

Im Totally Dissapointed With the Archbishop of Dublin.

So i just want to say this Archbishop, Clergymen Get of your ??? and Keep in Touch With Your Parishoners because your an Absolute Disgrace,

Am i asking too much for a Clergyman to make a Phone Call.

That is poor form you'd think someone from the church would have got in touch once or twice with a letter or a phone call, especially if it is a small congregation.

I don't think there is much you can do. Probably a bit late now but a good approach might be to ask them to keep in touch with your father rather than giving out that they didn't. If they still ignored your dad you would have better grounds for complaint after that. I'm not COI though so I dunno how or if a complaint would work.

I appreciate that John, But Really should i have to ask them at all, is this not part of there Duty,

Seems to me the best way to get a Clergyman to Visit you is if your on Death's Door then they can be sure of been Paid then

Really OP you force me back to the thread with your editing of the title for a second time to make the thread even more offensive and now your attacking all C of I clergymen. I am a member of the church in question and never heard of such a carry on, and can't imagine it taking place in any of the various parishes that I've lived in.

Really OP you force me back to the thread with your editing of the title for a second time to make the thread even more offensive and now your attacking all C of I clergymen. I am a member of the church in question and never heard of such a carry on, and can't imagine it taking place in any of the various parishes that I've lived in.

I Never Named any Church my friend ???

So i don't know what your talking about, also i am high lightling the Lack of interest in this Organisation and the Way parishoners are been treated,in this parish and possibily others, its a Business now.

Nine Months and Nobody bothers to Make Contact, if this gets the attention or people talking about it well then were getting somewhere.

Maybe the Reason you never heard it is because nobody brought it to your attention, thus the Reason im higlighting it here.

Once again ill repeat myself ( Keep in Touch with your Parishoners)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Think they have elders in each church, ministers cover quite a few Parishes so the elders look after the church, live right beside a CofI church and know very little about it,

• Advertisement

Am i asking too much for a Clergyman to make a Phone Call.
    No, you're not. Or, more correctly, you wouldn't be.

It doesn't appear that you did ask the clergyman to make a phone call. You spoke to a select vestryman about this. You wrote to the archbishop about it. But you never spoke to the clergyman.

Can you see what you did wrong here?

In Fairness to the Op,

Should anyone have to tell the Clergy what to do,

Surely its part of there Criteria to Keep in Touch

faolteam wrote: »
    In Fairness to the Op,

Should anyone have to tell the Clergy what to do,

Surely its part of there Criteria to Keep in Touch
    Keeping in touch is, by definition, a two-way thing.

Sure, we might feel that a clergyman should be keeping in touch with elderly/vulnerable parishioners (or should be seeing that someone from the parish community is) but, if that's not happening, then the very criticism you are making of the clergyman also points you to what you should be doing about it - namely, get in touch with the clergyman.

Mod: This thread has been closed pending deletion at the request of the OP. If anyone has a strong objection with good reason as to why this thread should not be deleted or re-opened PM me. If none are received this thread will be deleted tomorrow.

Mod: Thread re-opened at the request of the OP and other posters. Please keep it friendly and respectful as is possible folks. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

I've been following this thread.

(a) How does your father feel about the Rector in question, has he got a good relationship with him, and would he like to have a phone call from him? Does it bother your father as much as yourself that there has not been any communication?

(b) Are you yourself a churchgoer and if so does your own Rector visit his/her parishioners?

(c) Does your father have friends in the parish who keep in touch with him? Does he telephone his own friends in the parish? This is the alternative when the Rector fails in his duty of care.

There are some fantastic Rectors in the CoI, I know a couple of them, but I also know some others that are woefully bad when it comes to visiting.

• Advertisement

I've been following this thread.

(a) How does your father feel about the Rector in question, has he got a good relationship with him, and would he like to have a phone call from him? Does it bother your father as much as yourself that there has not been any communication? In my opinion when you hit a certain age there is less interest in the person if that makes sense, instead of a qualtiy chat its hello , how are you and Next,

He would never say it about getting a phone call but deep down i know he would particulary at his age , and such a long time frame now over 9 months really ?

Probably me more that he and other parishoners have been ignored .

(b) Are you yourself a churchgoer and if so does your own Rector visit his/her parishioners? No im not and by no way am i saying all rectors are the same, quite a lot do keep in touch.

(c) Does your father have friends in the parish who keep in touch with him? Does he telephone his own friends in the parish? This is the alternative when the Rector fails in his duty of care. Yes He Does , and yes he does phone them and they are Dumbfounded by the way it is been run

There are some fantastic Rectors in the CoI, I know a couple of them, but I also know some others that are woefully bad when it comes to visiting.

.... i filled in above

I've read your replies. The other parishioners being dumbfounded makes me wonder if the Rector has changed his habits recently and if so, then why has he changed? If there has been no change then the parishioners wouldn't expect anything and surely would be more disappointed than dumbfounded which to me seems more surprise and shock at the behaviour. But this might be a different problem. I'd wonder if the Rector himself is having problems dealing with the job other than wilful neglect and carelessness. That would certainly be something for a ‘serving’ church like the CoI to address.

I definitely get where you're at and what is upsetting you. You're right, a simple phone call would go a long way towards helping an elderly gentleman feel he is a valued member of the parish, that the church is interested in him. Rectors are given a parish in which to not only preach the word of God, to preach about God's love for all of us but also to practice it and be an example of how a Christian should behave.

I'm glad you have made it clear that you are not attacking all Rectors, though I too have witnessed the carelessness of some. There is no addressing it if the Archbishop does not reply, you've hit the ceiling at this point. But I would not automatically assume that the Archbishop has not taken note of it. Perhaps a quick email around the Diocese has been (and certainly should be) sent, reminding all those receiving their stipend that they should 'love thy neighbour as thyself'.

On another point, I have never heard that any Rector is given a change of car every two years, or any time. I believe Rectors buy their own car but the parish probably pays for his petrol expenses, ideally for parish visiting!!! I don’t know of any parish that could afford to buy a car for a Rector and I’d say any Rector that requests same from the Parish Treasurer would be laughed out of the meeting! Just my experience anyway.

Seems to me that the OP 's Father Can't Get to Church at this Time and he was just upset that his own Vicar wouldn't bother to Check up on The Parishioners by a Simple Phone call, I may be wrong,

Let's hope that any C of I Clergymen are reading this and will talk about it and maybe take a Leaf out of Mayor of Galway, Mike Cubbard's Initiative

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭homer911

OP, I'm curious as to how well known your father is to the Vicar? Would your father have been a weekly or at least monthly attendee at church services?
    Also how long has he been attending the church and how long has he known this particular vicar? And also may I ask how old the vicar is and his state of health?

There are two sides to every story and so far we have only heard your side..

PM sent to OP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭brookers

Our rector is the same, no visiting, no phone calls, hardly any service online, if you bump into him, he will say how are you and all belonging to you. No effort made though to contact you. I know of one family who are so annoyed they said they would contact the archbishop. Personally I feel the church of ireland will go down in numbers because of COvid and the church being closed and the biggest threat of all, lazy rectors who dont keep on top of things, no people, no church. I do my job 100 percent, why cant they.

brookers wrote: »
    Our rector is the same, no visiting, no phone calls, hardly any service online, if you bump into him, he will say how are you and all belonging to you. No effort made though to contact you. I know of one family who are so annoyed they said they would contact the archbishop. Personally I feel the church of ireland will go down in numbers because of COvid and the church being closed and the biggest threat of all, lazy rectors who dont keep on top of things, no people, no church. I do my job 100 percent, why cant they.

I agree that Some Rectors are Lazy

Im just reading this and your in the same boat just like the Vast Majority of other Church of Ireland Parishoners, left in Limbo

Well i have contacted the Archbishop Of Dublin , Michael Jackson ,Not even a response From Him,

My Father's Parish Has Two Rectors Yes thats Right Two Rectors, Absolutely No Excuse here, as i said before the Church of Ireland is Run like a Business

I hope A Journalist from the Papers is Reading this, I think this is a Good Story needs to be Publicised,

Shame on You Shame on You CoI...

Give it up will you. Just another OTT rant about the Church of Ireland and I've never heard of two rectors in a parish. As for supplying rectors with a new car every two years and running the church like a business.....please. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

My Father's Parish Has Two Rectors Yes thats Right Two Rectors,

no it doesn't

Maybe a rector and a curate, but a rector is the solo person in charge. there are no rector jobshares that I'm aware of.

Give it up will you. Just another OTT rant about the Church of Ireland and I've never heard of two rectors in a parish. As for supplying rectors with a new car every two years and running the church like a business.....please. :rolleyes:

What's wrong Del Monte afraid to hear the truth,
    How You can Say its OTT that the Old Folks are Neglected, Disgraceful Del Monte Should be Ashamed, Im Speaking for the Old People Who are Neglected and Treated Like Dirt.

Yes one Rector and one Curate Thanks Martin for that.

Maybe if there was Three We Could have one person Dial the Number and one Hold the Phone for the Rector.

Answer me why a Rector can not make a phone call to there Parishoners?
    Answer me why a Curate can not make a Phone Call to there Parishoners?
    Answer me Why an Archbishop of Dublin Refuses Emails and Letters about this Situation.

Don't forget a Rector gets a House to live in with there Family, please stop

i Guess thats not a Perk, All Bills paid for sure im OTT Again

Your a Joke Monte

So sorry i gave wrong title if i gave the real Title Your eyes would open.

Not one Rector From the CoI has bothered to even Reply or Give an Answer For there Organisation, Now Why is That ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

I think Martinedwards sums it up here The Church of Ireland, Clergymen get well paid there car changed every two years, House to live in and don't give a Damm about there Parishoners or there Staff,they are there own Self Employed Hob Nobs,
    The Church of Ireland is run as a Buisiness, i could say more about that but ill leave it for another Day,

Bit over dramatic, I would say.
    Sure, as in any profession, some people are lazy, or disillusioned, or perhaps in the wrong job.
    They get paid a salary roughly in line with an EO in the Civil Service, taxed the same way.
    House is provided and house insurance and maintenance looked after.
    ESB and phone, last time I looked into it, 50% was paid by the Church, 50% by the Rev.
    Car. They buy their own car and tax, insure and maintain it themselves.
    They get an allowance per KM travelled on Church business, that should cover depreciation and services etc.
    When the miles get high, they have to replace it themselves.
    If the clutch blows up, or whatever, they fix it out of their own pocket.
    Do some milk the system? Probably.
    At the end of the day, as retirement approaches they will need to have saved enough money to buy a home to live in with their husband/wife and perhaps dependant children.
    Pension depends on years served.
    Never came across any that got "rich", although the pension should leave them comfortable.

From what i see here the Op has asked a very Simple question why do the Rectors etc not Keep in touch with there Parishoners in these Dramatic times.

You Really Would think they Would, But the Conclusion i can see here is the Rector or Curates, The Fact that there is two in Question are Lazy.

Famous Quote comes to mind now ( Practice What you Preach )

Thread continues to be a disgraceful train wreck and would have been closed long ago if the subject was an Imam rather than a C of I clergyman. After all the posts it's still not clear whether the OP's father attended his local church i.e. is he known to the rector?

Your a Joke Monte

Mod warning: No personal attacks please, thanks for your attention

Thread continues to be a disgraceful train wreck and would have been closed long ago if the subject was an Imam rather than a C of I clergyman.

Mod warning: Less of the back seat moderation please. Given you've been carded and had substandard posts deleted from this thread, you're hardly in any position to complain about the quality of it's content.

• Advertisement
Advertisement