Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone know of a Toy Donation 2020?

• 08-10-2020 12:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I'm not sure if this is the correct location to ask, and perhaps I'm a bit early in the year to be inquiring,

I'm looking to find information on where myself and my kids could donate some purposly purchased toys this year for Christmas,

I don't like donating money as I'm not 100% sure where it's going plus the government get enough tax without taking a cut from a charity donation,
    I also don't like using the term "charity" as some tend to find it degrading where the restrictions placed on all of us this year were and are unforseen and out of our control with a large percentage of the hard working population have been ceased operations.

I would like to find a place where we can provide some toys which have been purchased in the likes of Smyth's toys to then be donated and distributed where required this Christmas, brand new unopened still in the bag.

This year has affected every home and family in the country in some way and some uncontrollably more affected than others,
    Myself, my wife and our two eldest whom santy no longer delivers to as there now too old;

would really like to purchase a popular toy or two each this year for donation as we all agree that Christmas should always be a happy memory and we are willing to make additional efforts this year to anonymously assist a fellow family or two; keep the dream alive.

I'm more than sure we're not the only ones willing to donate this year
    but we're not sure what place usually does it in this way and perhaps I'm early asking;
    Just the current restrictions imposed this week has me thinking more towards Christmas.

Also with contact restrictions; will there be a toy bank in operation this year,

Thanks for reading and I look forward to discussing.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

Make sure it does not need batteries

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,088 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Women's Aid refuges or similar? Direct provision centres? Community playgroups? Barnardo's?
    It's a lovely thing to do. Lots of children out there who could benefit.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,314 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Used to do this in my workplace. It was through SVDP.
    I have also seen them having a collection point in some of the bigger shopping centres. Might be worth contacting them to see they have anything like that planned or if you can drop stuff to them, if collection points aren't possible this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭gipi

Keep an eye on the Motorcycles forum. Every year, groups of bikers participate in toy runs, which is exactly as you've described - bring a toy for a hospital, refuge, etc. There is usually a drop off location for donated toys.

Covid might change the format of these toy runs this year, but I know that the organisers of 2 runs in the Dublin area have their thinking caps on and are trying to sort something out

Advertisement