Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whether to prune new buddlea

Options
  • 08-10-2020 8:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

I planted a buddlea a few weeks ago. Just wondering should I prune the flowered spikes back before winter or leave it please?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭RachelsCousin

I'd just cut off the dead flowers, but heavy pruning of most varieties should be done in the spring. How big is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Star10

I'd just cut off the dead flowers, but heavy pruning of most varieties should be done in the spring. How big is it?

It’s not big at all yet..have attached pic

Star10 wrote: »
    It’s not big at all yet..have attached pic

Ah, I wouldn't prune that for another year. Just cut off the dead flowers when they're dead to tidy it up.

Ah, I wouldn't prune that for another year. Just cut off the dead flowers when they're dead to tidy it up.

So, will I just cut them at the base of the flower or at the bottom of the stem?

Star10 wrote: »
    So, will I just cut them at the base of the flower or at the bottom of the stem?

Just at the base of flower. Any heavy pruning should be done in spring, but only once it's established and has 'woody' stems. They grow extremely quickly once established.

• Advertisement

Just at the base of flower. Any heavy pruning should be done in spring, but only once it's established and has 'woody' stems. They grow extremely quickly once established.

That’s great, thanks for your help

Advertisement