Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New battery or something draining it

Options
  • 08-10-2020 8:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

Ford Focus MII battery is draining all of the time. I believe this is an on going issue with these cars - something to do with keyless entry I've read online.
    Anyway it was dead yesterday evening and multimeter reading was 7.8. I jumped it this morning and while running it was 14.5 which suggests not an alternator problem I think.
    I turned it off and could see with the multimeter that the numbers started to fall a point every 15 seconds or so and so it seems it is not holding the charge.
    So I guess I need a new battery but just wanted to check if you think it could be something else before I go fork out 100+ on a battery.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭goldenhoarde

Inkers92 wrote: »
    Ford Focus MII battery is draining all of the time. I believe this is an on going issue with these cars - something to do with keyless entry I've read online.
    Anyway it was dead yesterday evening and multimeter reading was 7.8. I jumped it this morning and while running it was 14.5 which suggests not an alternator problem I think.
    I turned it off and could see with the multimeter that the numbers started to fall a point every 15 seconds or so and so it seems it is not holding the charge.
    So I guess I need a new battery but just wanted to check if you think it could be something else before I go fork out 100+ on a battery.

Check and make sure all lights are off in the interior especially the glove box. Sister in law had an issue in another car that used to drain nightly. Turned out the glove box light wasn't going off.

Others will have better advice as I'm not a whizz with cars LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭KB22

Disconnect the battery, check voltage with your meter, leave it like this overnight. If there is a voltage drop, that mean's a bad battery. Hope this help's.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Inkers92

KB22 wrote: »
    Disconnect the battery, check voltage with your meter, leave it like this overnight. If there is a voltage drop, that mean's a bad battery. Hope this help's.

Yes, makes sense. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭delboythedub

Disconnect battery positive and just tip it off the battery pole that it came off and see if there is a spark. If there is, it means that something is drawing juice from battery and next step is remove one fuse at a time check for a spark. If spark is still there replace fuse and move on to next fuse. If you remove a fuse and there is no spark at battery you will need to investigate that circuit using a wiring diagram. Make sure that all electric are turned off before you start. Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 3,490 ✭✭✭John.G

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Bmw123d

Disconnect battery positive and just tip it off the battery pole that it came off and see if there is a spark. If there is, it means that something is drawing juice from battery and next step is remove one fuse at a time check for a spark. If spark is still there replace fuse and move on to next fuse. If you remove a fuse and there is no spark at battery you will need to investigate that circuit using a wiring diagram. Make sure that all electric are turned off before you start. Best of luck

That’s a very long way of doing it.
    Just use a amp meter and check each time u pull a fuse does the amps drop when they do you have found your drain.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

have you tried putting distilled water in the battery many sealed batteries are not
    what voltage is battery
    and what voltage is it when car is on

have you cleaned the battery terminals

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭KB22

bobbyy gee wrote: »
    have you tried putting distilled water in the battery many sealed batteries are not
    what voltage is battery
    and what voltage is it when car is on

have you cleaned the battery terminals

I would like to know WTF you meant by that diatribe? I suppose I will be banned again . Bye Bye KB.

Advertisement