Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free wood chips?

Options
  • 08-10-2020 10:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

So many gardening youtubers talk about getting free wood chips from local tree surgeons that I thought I'd give it a go. But I'm not having any luck at all; some of them sell them as bedding, some of them say they'll drop off a load if they're in the area but then never are, but most of them don't reply at all. Has anyone had any luck with this, and if so, how, please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,757 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

I get regular loads from a local tree surgeon. Costs me 15euro a load.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭TwoCats

How did you find him or her?

TwoCats wrote: »
    How did you find him or her?

Google and a phone.
    I get a load a week from march to Oct. He can't get into the field in winter with it being soft

Need to call a local forestry for a 10ton load for over winter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I'm making my own right now and no there's not enough for sales! Amazing how much timber is reduced to such a small amount when chipped.

I've covered 1000 sqm with chips

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,719 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Not used it in years but can you still get free mushroom compost? Always used to be free to take away or transport at cost.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

So many gardening youtubers talk about getting free wood chips from local tree surgeons that I thought I'd give it a go. But I'm not having any luck at all; some of them sell them as bedding, some of them say they'll drop off a load if they're in the area but then never are, but most of them don't reply at all. Has anyone had any luck with this, and if so, how, please?

As SW said get onyo local tree surgeons etc.

You d be lucky to get it for free to be honest. Every part of tree cutting etc is for sale these days, all the way down to the dust smaller than sawdust.

I was lucky a couple of years ago a mallow based crew were doing work for esb and I asked them if they wanted to empty their load in my yard, they were happy to do it as it saved them a trip to the yard.

If someone has to go out of their way expect to pay a few bob

Not used it in years but can you still get free mushroom compost? Always used to be free to take away or transport at cost.

No, they sell that. It's not too pricey but there isn't a mushroom farm close enough to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭rje66

Where are you based???

rje66 wrote: »
    Where are you based???

Louth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭rje66

Louth.

Try ams tree services. Ardee.

rje66 wrote: »
    Try ams tree services. Ardee.

Thanks, I'll give them a try. For some reason, they didn't show up in my googlings.

Advertisement