Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do REA's trickle out properties on purpose?

Options
  • 08-10-2020 11:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭

Hey Guys,

So i've been looking at the housing market for about a year now. Should be ready to buy new in January. I've been ringing agents about houses out in Naas. It seems that they always only have a few houses available. I've driven around the new estates and there's a lot more empty houses than they've listed.

So either people are still sorting out finance before moving in. Or the agents are only letting a few out at a time to prey on FOMO. Or am I just reading into it too much?

If this is by design, what other sly tactics do they use that I should be aware of. Feeling kinda powerless as a buyer at the moment, so might as well try get some advantage if I can.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Mitzy

I can't see how an estate agent can only release properties a few at a time onto the housing market.
    If someone want's to put a property up for sale then they will put it on the market when the seller requests it.
    I am assuming you are looking at second hand properties?

With regard to empty houses, there can be numerous reasons why they are vacant. People may be working remotely due to Covid.
    Also landlords might be keeping rental houses vacant at the moment due to the ever changing rental rules so are waiting to see what the market is like in 6 months time before they commit to sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

Hi Mitzy,

I'm looking at new homes. When spoke to the agents, they would say "we'll have more homes coming on stream later, once the developers release them", just sounded weird to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

New builds can appear completed from the outside - especially from a drive by - for months before anyone moves in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Xios wrote: »
    Hi Mitzy,

I'm looking at new homes. When spoke to the agents, they would say "we'll have more homes coming on stream later, once the developers release them", just sounded weird to me.

It wouldn’t make sense for a developer to release all their houses at the same time .There is usually a wait list that the agent will add you to and then as the houses are released the agent notifies you

• Registered Users Posts: 68,780 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Developers release in phases, mainly for financing and construction purposes. EAs are not responsible for that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement