Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insulating steel shed

Options
  • 08-10-2020 12:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭

I am thinking of buying a 8x14' steel shed. The seller recommends leaving the gaps under the eaves for ventilation. It comes with that anti drip material. I would like to use the shed for storage, but also as a hobby workshop.
    I'm thinking a vapour barrier off the steel, 25mm kingspan and sheet with thin OSB or plywood . Also a vent or two on either end. Would this work, or would condensation gather behind the wall leading to problems down the line?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,311 ✭✭✭blackbox

Bicky wrote: »
    I am thinking of buying a 8x14' steel shed. The seller recommends leaving the gaps under the eaves for ventilation. It comes with that anti drip material. I would like to use the shed for storage, but also as a hobby workshop.
    I'm thinking a vapour barrier off the steel, 25mm kingspan and sheet with thin OSB or plywood . Also a vent or two on either end. Would this work, or would condensation gather behind the wall leading to problems down the line?

Would you not consider buying a properly insulated shed e.g. Adman Thermastore (no connection)

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Bicky

blackbox wrote: »
    Would you not consider buying a properly insulated shed e.g. Adman Thermastore (no connection)

Yes absolutely I would, but moneys tight at the moment and need a shed for storage now. This way I could insulate some time in the future.

I asked the shed salesman and he said there would be no issue whatsoever. Almost laughed at the suggestion there would be damp. Exactly what a salesman should do.
    So I rang a competitor, who told me that would never work and I would have huge issues with damp and mildew. She then proceeded to try and sell me an insulated shed. Exactly what a saleswoman should do.
    Hard to know who to listen to, which is why i am asking here. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,311 ✭✭✭blackbox

If you leave all of the gaps under the eaves it will be very draughty and cold, but you will need some ventilation to stop condensation.

Advertisement