Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gears jumping after moving to trainer

Options
  • 08-10-2020 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭

I put my bike on the direct drive trainer. Moved the rear cassette across and now it skips in the 15 in both the big and small rings but the rest of them are all fine. Any ideas what is wrong with it?

I took the cassette off and checked the gears but they all look fine and in good condition. Its a very new cassette and chain that gave no issue on the bike before this week. I have tried adjusting the rear derailleur low and high and it just skips like made either way.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,048 ✭✭✭G1032

Had the same issue myself all last winter. Indexed the gears with the bike on the turbo and it made no difference
    But as it happens, I gave the bike an overhaul about a week ago and changed Inner and outers on both gears and brakes
    Put bike back on turbo on Tuesday evening and to my pleasant surprise the jumping is gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

New turbo trainer! ;)

(Finally a problem not solved by buying a new bike! :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭pairofpears

Its not even a year old so cant be buying a new trainer. No idea why its jumping as I had the bike on the rollers last week and no issue.

I do have a spare new cassette so might fit that tonight and see what happens with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

07Lapierre wrote: »
    New turbo trainer! ;)

(Finally a problem not solved by buying a new bike! :) )
    Its not even a year old so cant be buying a new trainer. No idea why its jumping as I had the bike on the rollers last week and no issue.

I do have a spare new cassette so might fit that tonight and see what happens with it.

07 is joking. The answer to all bike questions is new bike.

Are you sure you don't need a spacer on the turbos hub? It may be longer than your rear wheel.

It shouldnt need a spacer as its set up the exact same as it was when I put it away in April. I will check it out tonight and try the new cassette and play with the spacer.

Just odd that only 1 gear is causing issue and in both the big and small ring with everything else running fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Macy0161

ED E wrote: »
    07 is joking. The answer to all bike questions is new bike.
    Issues with indexing, albeit at the time still riding the bike outside (so different cassettes), is why I ended up repurposing a dedicated bike for the turbo! 7 speed Carrera Zelos on my Hammer - before I started zwifting I didn't even bother indexing when I was purely using TrainerRoad and ERG mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

10 or 11 speed bike?

Tunney, its 11 speed Ultegra 6800. New cassette, chain, rear derailleur wheels and small front ring put on no more than 2 months ago. All working perfectly until this week with being put on the trainer.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Tunney, its 11 speed Ultegra 6800. New cassette, chain, rear derailleur wheels and small front ring put on no more than 2 months ago. All working perfectly until this week with being put on the trainer.

I'd agree with the assessment of a spacer being the issue. Either one is on the turbo that is not needed or one is needed on the turbo.

Or one that got me when I moved to direct drive a few years ago was not putting the bike on centred. I learnt that I need to put the drop outs on the axle of the turbo, not tighten, lift the handlebars and bike up, pivot back on the axle and then down again. Then tighten the QR skewer - ensures level.

A spacer would affect all sprockets no? if its only skipping on one, i'd suspect an alignment issue?

• Advertisement

tunney wrote: »
    I'd agree with the assessment of a spacer being the issue. Either one is on the turbo that is not needed or one is needed on the turbo.

Or one that got me when I moved to direct drive a few years ago was not putting the bike on centred. I learnt that I need to put the drop outs on the axle of the turbo, not tighten, lift the handlebars and bike up, pivot back on the axle and then down again. Then tighten the QR skewer - ensures level.

Id agree with this.

Turns out the barrel adjuster needing adjusting. Just very strange how it was only on 1 gear but you get that. I have to return the new bike and trainer I bought now cos I fixed the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

Derailleur hanger......check to see if it is bent

Advertisement