Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Slovakia vs Ireland, Nations League Playoff - Mod Note in OP

• 08-10-2020 1:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭NewMan1982

Match thread for tonight.
    What’s your preferred lineup and predictions?

I’m going 2-1 for Ireland.

Back 5 pick themselves.
    McCarthy, Hendrick, Hourihane.
    Connolly, McGoldrick, Robinson.

I prob would have Arter in instead of Hourihane or Hendrick based on last month.

Mod Note: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=114870269&postcount=888

Mod: annoying result but please keep it civil.

No abuse, no having a go at or ranting against other posters.

- If you can't be civil don't post.
    - If you see a post you think is a wind up, please do not engage.
    - If you see a post you don't like, but decide to reply, put forward a point that furthers discussion.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,559 ✭✭✭LeBash

Hourihane has to play, we'll be so cautious tonight that set pieces will be the way we go forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,012 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Is the game on Irish TV or Sky?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,525 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Is the game on Irish TV or Sky?

Both. RTE2 and one of the Sky Sports stations, k.o. 7.45

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

In

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I'll watch of course, as I'd always watch the qualifiers, but I'm not at all confident we'll go through..
    is it 30 minutes of extra time if the game finishes as a draw? or straight to penalties??

No fans definitely helps us of course....

(It's a pity away goals don't count here seeing as they have the home advantage :D )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,417 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I'll watch of course, as I'd always watch the qualifiers, but I'm not at all confident we'll go through..
    is it 30 minutes of extra time if the game finishes as a draw? or straight to penalties??

No fans definitely helps us of course....

(It's a pity away goals don't count here seeing as they have the home advantage :D )

I'm finding it hard to justify the fact we are even in the qualifiers. Hopefully with Kenny we can become a good team despite the limitations but on our last few years we have no right to be here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

breezy1985 wrote: »
    I'm finding it hard to justify the fact we are even in the qualifiers. Hopefully with Kenny we can become a good team despite the limitations but on our last few years we have no right to be here

I'd happily take 3-4 years in the doldrums now if it meant we player better football, and we're actually able to compete with other teams in playing actual football.

I just worry that 3-4 years won't be enough time, but at least Kenny was managed the u21's for a while, so those lads will have already been playing his style of football.

I desperately want him to succeed, and really hope fans give him the time to do so.

and an appearance at a major tournament, would give him and the players a massive amount of experience going forwards...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭NewMan1982

sugarman wrote: »
    Sky Sports Football.

Should probably stick that in the thread title, it'll be asked more than once.

This starting threads comes with too much responsibility for me :)

I don’t seem to have the edit option on my phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,827 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Kevin Long and Josh Cullen dropped from the 25 man squad.

On the balance of things, the two squads look very evenly matched you'd have to say. Guessing it'll be a tight cagey affair. I will be hoping for a better performance from our midfield today, will certainly have to improve on the Finland performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭crossman47

I desperately want him to succeed, and really hope fans give him the time to do so.

So do I but he won't get that time if he loses. Our press and "fans" are so predictable. Why we should be expected to win tonight is a mystery - away to a team of roughly equal ranking. We have no goal scorer and that will tell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,640 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

NewMan1982 wrote: »
    Match thread for tonight.
    What’s your preferred lineup and predictions?

I’m going 2-1 for Ireland.

Back 5 pick themselves.
    McCarthy, Hendrick, Hourihane.
    Connolly, McGoldrick, Robinson.

I prob would have Arter in instead of Hourihane or Hendrick based on last month.

That’s probably the best starting line up available, so hopefully Kenny will go with that. On paper that team should have enough to beat Slovakia. All down to how they perform. Slovakia have their own issues with players unavailable. Hopeful of a win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Sheridan81

Easy win for the Slovaks. I put some money on them so I'm half-hoping Hamsik and co can pull it off. Shouldn't be too hard for them.

Number one first, he who dares wins Rodney, he who dares wins.

crossman47 wrote: »
    So do I but he won't get that time if he loses. Our press and "fans" are so predictable. Why we should be expected to win tonight is a mystery - away to a team of roughly equal ranking. We have no goal scorer and that will tell.

A lot of Irish fans give very little respect to the former eastern block teams despite many of them having similar or better playing numbers, infrastructure etc.

If ever there was a night I could do with some wild out of the blue romp from an Irish team this would be it but it's more likely a draw or 1-0 loss coming up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Dillonb3

Their results lately haven't been outstanding and I think their keepers have had a few howlers.
    Dont think we can really carve them open and score much from open play so hopefully get a bit of luck from set pieces

TheCitizen wrote: »
    That’s probably the best starting line up available, so hopefully Kenny will go with that. On paper that team should have enough to beat Slovakia. All down to how they perform. Slovakia have their own issues with players unavailable. Hopeful of a win.

It is a decent team actually. All the players (except for Duffy now) are premier league regulars.

With a bit of luck molumby, smallbone and knight make the step up soon. The first two should look for regular first team football ASAP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,433 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

We never make it easy do we. Going be a slog. Hopefully we get through but it's not going be easy

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

This starting threads comes with too much responsibility for me :)

I don’t seem to have the edit option on my phone.

thread title edited

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,069 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I just can't muster any enthusiasm for this.

I think we'll lose comfortably enough in the end by a goal or two. I don't see us going away from home to any half decent team and winning and Slovakia, despite their absences, are no mugs.

I just don't see it for us tonight. It will be the traditional moral victory story at best.

I also think questions will be raised as to Kenny's suitability at this level should it go the way I suspect.

Don't get me wrong - I want to be proven wrong.

I don't see it happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,233 ✭✭✭McFly85

1-1, possibly 2-1 to Slovakia. Don’t think we’ve shown enough in the last 2 games to suggest we can really increase the score, and the defence are still learning how to play in a way that doesn’t involve immediately getting rid of it.

All I’m looking for tonight is a good team performance, hopefully with some signs of improvement from last month. Qualification would be an amazing bonus but should we fail to do so it’s not the end of the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Sheridan81 wrote: »
    Easy win for the Slovaks. I put some money on them so I'm half-hoping Hamsik and co can pull it off. Shouldn't be too hard for them.

Number one first, he who dares wins Rodney, he who dares wins.

Can never understand people betting against their own country. The winnings would be like blood money.

• Advertisement

Can never understand people betting against their own country. The winnings would be like blood money.

I can't bet either way on the results if my team are playing. The closest I'll allow myself to get is first goalscorer

I think he’s looking for attention that lad, telling us all that he’s an uber Liverpool fan like anyone cares

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,199 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I think he’s looking for attention that lad, telling us all that he’s an uber Liverpool fan like anyone cares

(which i also presume he's not)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

Easy to be negative, but I’m going to be optimistic...

An energetic Ireland on the front foot, neat triangles, and some impressive gegenpressing from the lads.

Slovakia 0 Republic of Ireland 3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,199 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Since pens were mentioned earlier, I can't get away from the thought that that's what's going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

KungPao wrote: »

An energetic Ireland on the front foot, neat triangles, and some impressive gegenpressing from the lads.

I see you have started the run on the off licences early ☺️

For once in my 30 years of supporting the Boys in Green it would be nice to just win one game by 3 or 4 nil. Not asking for much.:(

For once in my 30 years of supporting the Boys in Green it would be nice to just win one game by 3 or 4 nil. Not asking for much.:(

Was Estonia the last time we put a few past a team in a game that mattered?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,749 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Bosnia must be favs from the 4 teams. Mon Ireland !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I just hope to god that he doesn't persist with the type of football played in the last 2 games. Full backs out on the touchline and passing it sideways around the back. It's outdated, it doesn't work anymore, it's easy to to play against and all it takes is a ball winner and a through ball to quickish striker against expose centre backs.

I want IrelandBall, Not Roberto Martinez's Everton.

Was Estonia the last time we put a few past a team in a game that mattered?

Yep and before that the last game where we won by more than a goal against any half decent opposition was against Croatia in 1998 2-0

Or famous wins usually are 1-0.
    Very rare

Yep and before that the last game where we won by more than a goal against any half decent opposition was against Croatia in 1998 2-0

Or famous wins usually are 1-0.
    Very rare

I was at the Croatia game. Unexpected result. They’d just done very well in the World Cup if I remember rightly.

Back then going to home games were exciting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,781 ✭✭✭eire4

KungPao wrote: »

That is beyond optimistic this Ireland team not just winning not just on the road but scoring 3 times as well. Wow. That would be unreal. Hope your right but sadly doubt it. I can see us winning tonight but they are favourites albeit tight ones tonight. Maybe 60-40 odds in their favour.

Bosnia Playoff 2-0 at Home.

Jesus how could I forget that obvious one. One of the most complete performances we have had.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,112 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

So 2 irish players have covid ?

• Advertisement

PTH2009 wrote: »
    So 2 irish players have covid ?

Any links to that news?

Someone posted it on Ybig and said it was from an FAI source??

Anyway team selection should be soon ?

Randolph
    Doherty Duffy Egan Stevens
    Hendrick McCarthy Hourihane
    Robinson McGoldrick McClean

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭MurDawg

Randolph
    Doherty Duffy Egan Stevens
    Hendrick McCarthy Hourihane
    Robinson McGoldrick McClean

Not a bad squad minus McClean tbf

Injury related?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,084 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

what channel is the game on

• Advertisement

MurDawg wrote: »

Injury related?

I’m assuming Connolly has covid

Thats a very conservative / Mick McCarthy esque lineup

https://twitter.com/nathanmurf/status/1314255630736257024

Worrying lineup

Connolly and Byrne from the bench

MurDawg wrote: »

Injury related?

Don’t know. I thought Connolly would start but if it’s McClean then fair enough. I was expecting him to play some part of the game.

Brock Turnpike and a few others on here won’t be happy. LOL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,781 ✭✭✭eire4

Surprised McClean in ahead of Connolly. But otherwise that is about what I expected.

Hes on the bench. Nobody has Covid!

Maybe Kenny does picking McLean. **** me. I thought we’d seen the last of that headless chicken.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,316 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

McClean over Connolly is absolutely baffling.

Good team. I think we’ll win

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

McClean over Connolly is absolutely baffling.

I'd agree it is but he's being pragmatic/cautious because McClean offers more defensively.

There where a lot of lads on here thinking Kenny getting the gig would be the end of McClean, not so as he still can offer something.

Fromvert wrote: »
    I'd agree it is but there where a lot of lads on here thinking Kenny getting the gig would be the end of McClean. He's being pragmatic/cautious because McClean offers more defensively.

Yep. They were wrong and not for the first time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,175 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Great to see McClean back in the team, work rate and honesty of effort will be huge tonight, Connolly a decent option off the bench. 5 subs allowed tonight we need to use them.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
Advertisement