Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Slovakia vs Ireland, Nations League Playoff - Mod Note in OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,274 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Overall a really positive performance. Much more football played than the ONeill era in just one game. We just need to find the right mix in the final third. Connolly would have made a difference had he been there. More time under the manager should bring more improvement hopefully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

briany wrote: »
    Pfft. Euro 2021 will probably be cancelled anyway.

hope it is now

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭TheQuietBeatle

That or an empty stadium...not the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Low and hard like a terrier’s mickey is the way to take penalties.

I'd much prefer see a lad miss it by putting it wide or hitting the post/bar but they at least hit it with conviction. Nothing worse than a weakly hit peno

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Signs are positive but too many players lack conviction. Hourihane virtually passed it to the defender 5 yards out and Browne was always going to miss his penalty. We all knew he would.

I'd bring in a lot of the younger lads next campaign. If we got a bit of belief about us we could make the major tournaments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭NewMan1982

Good performance. Plenty of positives. Anyone can lose on penalties.

I’m looking forward to the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Imagine the Nordies getting a game in the Aviva.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,116 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Even that shower up north got through!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,722 ✭✭✭golfball37

Unlucky tonight but some Gibraltar lad who scored an og is our joint top scorer over the campaign and don’t deserve to qualify overall. NI led in Holland and were competitive, I hope they see it through now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭McFly85

In fairness Slovakia had enough chances to win comfortable also, two bad teams.

Ireland are 3 games in with a new manager trying to change the teams footballing philosophy. There’s definitely been enough there to say that this team have more potential. Will need to work on scoring goals definitely, but it’s much better than it has been.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,824 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

McGoldrock played great but what's the point if you don't have another striker to benifit from it,
    We really need to go 3 5 2

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Good performance, big step up from Kennys first couple games.
    Thought we improved alot from the hour mark with the 2 subs and change of positions. Hendrick, McGoldrick, Duffy and Stevens were all very good. Browne was very good when brought on and O'Dowda showed well in ET. McClean and Brady were probably the poorest on show but still did ok.

Dont get the hate on Doherty, people seem to be in the Doherty or Coleman camp and pick on the others mistakes. Doherty was the best Irish player in the EPL the past 2 years. Didnt play great tonight but didn't play badly either, seemed to be trying too hard to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,323 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

pgj2015 wrote: »
    We played ok in the end, good to see them stringing a good few passes together. Kenny obviously doesn't rate Jack Byrne.

Tragic that we wont be in the euros when there will be games played in Dublin.
    I thought that was better than ok.

Jack Byrne isn't the second coming or anything let's be honest. I am sure he will get some chances down the line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Sadlier absolutely spot on there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,722 ✭✭✭golfball37

Even that shower up north got through!

They played well in a much tougher group than us. Both teams are where they deserve ultimately

briany wrote:

Wont be in Dublin anyway you'd imagine, cant see a competion being spread across multiple cities next summer, it'll be like the final stages of the the CL in on city/country depending on if fans are allowed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,424 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Oat23 wrote: »
    Darragh Maloney talking sh*te in the studio.

Hes some wanker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Dont get the hate on Doherty
    Doherty had a poor game and nearly cost us a goal, easily our worst player tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭RonanG86

corny wrote: »
    Signs are positive but too many players lack conviction. Hourihane virtually passed it to the defender 5 yards out and Browne was always going to miss his penalty. We all knew he would.

I'd bring in a lot of the younger lads next campaign. If we got a bit of belief about us we could make the major tournaments.

You can see the lack of a goalscorer in the side, they all want to pass the responsibility to someone else.

And Hourihane's miss was really shocking. Even with his weak foot he'd do well to scoop it over from there (not impossible, obviously, but not as common as "WORST MISSES EVER!" compilations would lead one to believe) and just needed to stick his boot through it instead of tamely sidefooting it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

7 goals in 8 qualification games (with Gibraltar), 0 goals tonight in 120 minutes, missing penalties in shoot out...

Kenny's football looks more positive but he has a job on his hands to get Irish players to stick that ball in the net

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Pity we didn’t have a few of the lads on the thread available to take a penalty, we’d be getting ready for a game in windsor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I have a ticket for the opening game of the Euros. I'm sad but I am very happy with how they played. Its all we ever ask from our team. Show some gusto. Give it a go. Kenny did a very good job tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭colly10

Hard to listen to, of course it’s disappointing but he’s really pushing hard on the negativity.
    For me, it’s the most positive performance i’ve seen from Ireland in a long time. We’ve been lucky and beat better teams but we deserved the win tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,462 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Some of the chances were easier than penalties. If you can't score into an empty net then you don't deserve to win.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Kinda baffled by posters saying it was an excellent performance!

We had a decent spell in the second half and were slightly the better team but Slovakia aren't much of a side either. Nice to see us passing the ball a bit more but we're very sloppy at times in our passing and didn't create enough clear chances.

We're very weak in central midfield both in creating chances and breaking down the opposition play. Also short of a goal scorer up front.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ratracer

Unlucky Ireland. Loads of positives though. If we develop an end product we'll be formidable

It’ll be interesting to hear the true story re Connolly and Idah, either of them could have done a job there in extra time by running at that Slovak defence.

At least I feel positive about the team at the end of a campaign for once! Hopefully the attacking type football will become more prevalent for us!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Doherty had a poor game and nearly cost us a goal, easily our worst player tonight.

Bollox. That was the best game I had seen from him for Ireland.

Fairly harsh imo, thought McClean, McCarthy and Brady all did less than him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Rikand wrote: »
    Hes some wanker

So is Hamilton, the glee in his voice. Asshole

RoryMac wrote: »
    Kinda baffled by posters saying it was an excellent performance!

We had a decent spell in the second half and were slightly the better team but Slovakia aren't much of a side either. Nice to see us passing the ball a bit more but we're very sloppy at times in our passing and didn't create enough clear chances.

We're very weak in central midfield both in creating chances and breaking down the opposition play. Also short of a goal scorer up front.

We struggled against Gibraltor and Georgia under Mick. We created 3 clear cut chances. We dominated a team away from home.

Stop with the codding lad.

• Advertisement

magma69 wrote: »
    We weren't great. We weren't even close to great imo.

Ah here. We had loads of possession deep in their half . We lacked a finisher . That's all . Robbie Keane would have filled his boots tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

pgj2015 wrote: »
    We played ok in the end, good to see them stringing a good few passes together. Kenny obviously doesn't rate Jack Byrne.

Tragic that we wont be in the euros when there will be games played in Dublin.

When it comes to Byrne he needs to rate himself more and try push himself on. It’s a huge jump in level from LOI to International.

He’s not going to play a key role in this team while a LOI player that’s the truth of it. If he wants caps he needs to play at a higher level

• Registered Users Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Robbie Brady says hello

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭RonanG86

Brady's knackered imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Dillonb3

Disappointing in the end but improved performance. Badly need someone to step up and start scoring. Potentially N Ireland, Scotland, Wales and England going to the Euros

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,477 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Be tough to get to the WC out of Europe and anyway it's in bleedin Qatar in November.

3 years to get to Euro 2024. Lots of time to build on that. That's what you'd call transition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Just playing Devil’s Advocate, as he’s obliged to do. It’s a results business.

Some of the chances were easier than penalties. If you can't score into an empty net then you don't deserve to win.

Who missed an open goal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

100% fans, 25% fans, Zero fans it will go ahead, whether any games will still be held in Dublin is another story

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Jeff says hello, how is he a pro footballer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Good performance, big step up from Kennys first couple games.

I think a warning is required on this.

Firstly let's look at Scotland, for example, for the last 20 years. Always played free flowing, passing etc...where did it get them? Nowhere.

Jack Charlton, in his time as manager (particularly when he started), had the players to play ole football (Brady, O'Leary etc).

But he said at the start in an interview - quote "If we try to play continental teams at their game we are going to get stuffed"

That's what he said and he was right.

What is the point in the passing game if there is no end product?

There is a balance to be struck and I think some are getting ahead of themselves in regards the passing game.

We were stuffed tonight and we were stuffed against Finland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Euro 2024 qualifers is next real chance of going somewhere, World Cup 2022 a bit too soon

We need to build for the future from now on. Wales could hammer us on Sunday esp with our heads down

Dillonb3 wrote: »
    Disappointing in the end but improved performance. Badly need someone to step up and start scoring. Potentially N Ireland, Scotland, Wales and England going to the Euros

Id love Slovakia to beat the Nordies. Hopefully if the Slovaks have their full contingent available they will win. Cant see it in Windsor though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Ah sure didnt we try to play like barcelona.

****in joke some of the misses there tonite.

Weve no striker, so we need to play defensively and hope to nick a goal with our best top scorer centre back duffy from a set piece.

Thats our strength. Play to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,323 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Firstly let's look at Scotland, for example, for the last 20 years. Always played free flowing, passing etc...where did it get them? Nowhere.

Jack Charlton, in his time as manager (particularly when he started), had the players to play ole football (Brady, O'Leary etc).

But he said at the start in an interview - quote "If we try to play continental teams at their game we are going to get stuffed"

There is a balance to be struck and I think some are getting ahead of themselves in regards the passing game.

We were stuffed tonight?
    Utter rubbish
    Did you even watch that match?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Ah here. We had loads of possession deep in their half . We lacked a finisher . That's all . Robbie Keane would have filled his boots tonight

And then he would have been slaughtered again.

Because we have been playing with no cohesive style or plan for a long time now and its been embarassing at times with no hope in sight.

With the greatest respect Jack said that in 1986 or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

But, like, what's the point in any plan if there's no end product? Do you think we'd have been more likely to finish if we had less possession and less chances? We have a problem with a lack of goalscorers, that's just a reality and not something we can do much about. All we can do is play in a way that creates chances, and hope the players we do have will take some of them. That's what we did tonight, but alas the chances weren't taken. I'll have that any day over the week ahead of just not even trying to score or find another irish player.

We demonstrably weren't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Jeff says hello, how is he a pro footballer

I wish I got more game time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,303 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Disappointing result. Thought we deserved more vs a poor Slovakian side.

If we don’t have a player to stick the ball in the back of the net, we’re always at a loss. Desperately need a goal scorer.

Annoying to watch another international tournament with no national interest.

Advertisement