Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Slovakia vs Ireland, Nations League Playoff - Mod Note in OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Morrison J

pgj2015 wrote: »
    We played ok in the end, good to see them stringing a good few passes together. Kenny obviously doesn't rate Jack Byrne.

Tragic that we wont be in the euros when there will be games played in Dublin.

Can't understand the fascination with him. If we had a player playing in the conference people wouldn't be screaming for him to be in the team. That's the level Byrne is playing at. Be mental throwing him into a game like that tonight. Outrageously big step up for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭NewMan1982

I think a warning is required on this.

Firstly let's look at Scotland, for example, for the last 20 years. Always played free flowing, passing etc...where did it get them? Nowhere.

Jack Charlton, in his time as manager (particularly when he started), had the players to play ole football (Brady, O'Leary etc).

But he said at the start in an interview - quote "If we try to play continental teams at their game we are going to get stuffed"

That's what he said and he was right.

What is the point in the passing game if there is no end product?

There is a balance to be struck and I think some are getting ahead of themselves in regards the passing game.

We were stuffed tonight and we were stuffed against Finland.

Long ball had stopped working even against the minnows. Did you watch us the last few years?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

I can smell your joy from here you miserable bollox

If you think that was being "stuffed" you're either on a wind up or this is your first ever football game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭pgj2015

gmisk wrote: »
    I thought that was better than ok.

Jack Byrne isn't the second coming or anything let's be honest. I am sure he will get some chances down the line.

I thought Byrne should have came on for Hendrick towards the end. he can take a peno as well. im surprised long didnt take one before our right back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

It's so refreshing to hear positivity in the studio.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

At the end of the day we lost, ergo we got stuffed.

I predicted a moral victory, that's what we got.

We aren't going to Euro 2021.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,323 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

kona wrote: »
    Ah sure didnt we try to play like barcelona.

****in joke some of the misses there tonite.

Weve no striker, so we need to play defensively and hope to nick a goal with our best top scorer centre back duffy from a set piece.

Thats our strength. Play to it.
    Barcelona is a stretch.
    But we tried to play and it was great to see.
    I'd rather watch that than some of the muck under other recent managers.
    We missed chances as you say and didn't actually concede...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Mod: I know its an emotional time after a match, especially one that is lost in that manner, but please refrain from using abuse against players/managers etc.. posters have already been actioned on.

As always please discuss civilly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Bully out of ya. Work here is done so.
    Off ya pop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Overall, I thought the performance was decent. I think the team that was put out tonight couldn't really be faulted, and the tactics were good.

Randolph in goal obviously is our best option.

Egan and Duffy have developed a nice partnership, it's a shame we didn't get more chances to use Duffy's aerial threat though. Stevens was solid enough at left back without being too threatening, but Doherty was disappointing, maybe time to consider Coleman?

The midfield three were generally pretty good, they controlled the game, they showed for the ball and kept things fairly tight. I think those three have probably solidified themselves as the first choice three going forward.

The front three is where the real problems are. McGoldrick is decent, but has never been prolific, nor will he be at his age - same goes for Long. Out the wide players, McClean, Idah, Connolly, Robinson, O'Dowda, they all look ok, but I don't think anyone in particular has stood out just yet. It would be great if we could even get one attacking player who could just put in a nice run of form. Maybe the next batch of games will offer a chance. Hopefully.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Why have RTÉ no interview with Stephen Kenny? What the fúck is going on there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Lets be honest too here.we will stand a better chance at getting to tournaments playing like that. Especially world cups. Hopefully Parrot, idah and Connolly can come good. Obafemi too. Idah woulx seem to be a goalscorer so himself and Parrot need to be fast tracked. Just play them at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

NewMan1982 wrote: »
    Long ball had stopped working even against the minnows. Did you watch us the last few years?

I'm not suggesting only long ball - i'm suggesting mixing it up more. We need to play to our strengths or we will have a lot more of these moral victories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭RonanG86

Firstly let's look at Scotland, for example, for the last 20 years. Always played free flowing, passing etc...where did it get them? Nowhere.

Jack Charlton, in his time as manager (particularly when he started), had the players to play ole football (Brady, O'Leary etc).

But he said at the start in an interview - quote "If we try to play continental teams at their game we are going to get stuffed"

There is a balance to be struck and I think some are getting ahead of themselves in regards the passing game.

"Stuffed" 0-0?

As for balance, I thought tonight was fairly balanced. There was considerably less faffing around with it at the back vs. the two Nations League games, and we did go more direct into McGoldrick, as well as trying a few in over the top. It was certainly more balanced than anything we've produced since Martin O'Neill decided to forgo any attempt at attacking football in the middle of his 2nd campaign and turned exclusively to hoofing. Which was largely maintained by Mick.

The problem was we didn't put it in the net. That's hardly a new problem to Kenny. Would we have scored if we'd hammered the ball 70 yards all the time? The approach that got us a wonderful 2-0 against the mighty Gibraltar.

So idk what you wanted tactically here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,477 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Yer man interviewing sounds like he's on the moon

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Why have RTÉ no interview with Stephen Kenny? What the fúck is going on there

It actually looks like a comedy sketch, it’s like Apres Match

• Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Lets be honest too here.we will stand a better chance at getting to tournaments playing like that. Especially world cups. Hopefully Parrot, idah and Connolly can come good. Obafemi too. Idah woulx seem to be a goalscorer so himself and Parrot need to be fast tracked. Just play them at this stage.

Let’s be honest? Mate you’re just indulging in wishful thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Does anyone know when the WC qualifiers will begin?

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭plibige

I take it that's the end of the road for Long, and possibly Mcgoldrick now? Can't see them hanging around until 35 plus for the chance at the Qatar World cup

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭scouserstation

Good performance from the lads tonite we dominated the game and created chances, ultimately we suffered from our usual problem of lacking an out and out goalscorer, its funny to see people already writing off our chances of qualifying for the next world cup, based on the way we have played tonite I reckon we have a fairly decent chance of getting to Qatar in 2022 providing the players we have now keep on developing the way they are

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Vital Transformation

It's odd that RTÉ aren't handling the interviews themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭McFly85

We weren’t stuffed tonight. It was a draw decided by the lottery of penalties.

We are 3 games in and the team is trying to create chances instead of kicking it long and looking for a foul to get a set piece. I think most agree here that Kenny will definitely need to work on, and look, if at the end of the next campaign they still have the same problems then maybe his job will be in danger. But I don’t think he’s setting up a team to pass for the sake of it, it’s just there’s more to work on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Kenny doing a video interview for Ireland job.

I think we could be even better if we go for the wing backs too.

Its hard not to win but it doesnt feel so bad knowing we have something to build on going forward.

Again Gibraltor looked as good as us not so long ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

What kind of ****ing pony is this?

Jesus wept :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭franglan

Someone get our Stephen some tissues, stop asking soppy questions man on the moon from sky. Thank you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Some interview there hahaha. I think.. you know ehhhhhh

So the two lads missed out by 0.2 meters of a difference in Social Distance

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Sounds like connolly and Idah were partying

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Morrison J

plibige wrote: »
    I take it that's the end of the road for Long, and possibly Mcgoldrick now? Can't see them hanging around until 35 plus for the chance at the Qatar World cup

McGoldrick has never been playing better. No need for him to stop until he shows he's regressing. Those type of big centre forwards can often play well into their mid 30s at a high level anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I just don't, at all, get your point.

Firstly, it's childish to go down the route of "all losses are equal" at the beginning of a new managers reign, when obviously half of what we're looking for is signs of how things will be under their time in charge. You're on a discussion forum, that sort of implies you're here to discuss something, instead of just throwing out some generic bland "this is shit" rhetoric.

What was at least good about tonight is that there's no regrets. Had we played the way we've played over the past 4 years, we'd know we could have done more. We'd know we could have tried to go at them. Tonight, we did that. We gave it our best, kept a clean sheet, and created a few great chances with some very good football. Head and shoulders above what we've done recently. I don't see how it can be argued that any more conservative approach would have gotten any better.

It's going to take time, and we know that. We do at least have a few talented young goalscorers in Parrot, Idah, Connolly, and Obafemi, but they're all 20 or under. We went a decade without producing a striker, and the result is that its hard to score goals, but that's international football for ya.

It's odd that RTÉ aren't handling the interviews themselves.

Slovakia isnt on the green list.

It certianly isnt now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭NewMan1982

I'm not suggesting only long ball - i'm suggesting mixing it up more. We need to play to our strengths or we will have a lot more of these moral victories.

What do you consider the strengths we need to be playing to?

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Vital Transformation

Slovakia isnt on the green list.

It certianly isnt now.

Even by audio link, especially given it's an important playoff game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,108 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Andrew00 wrote: »

Didnt see, what was said?

• Advertisement

Sure the pubs are closed over there. It’ll be distance at dinner or on the bus or something trivial like that

Wha?

No, no it doesnt. It soinds like they were close contacts of a covid positive case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

What a silly interview from Kenny. Keep your opinions on public health to yourself. Dope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭tanko

Second half of extra time starting on RTE2+1 now, maybe we'll win this time.

Even by audio link, especially given it's an important playoff game.

Yeh but **** it. The sky man sounded like he was in his wardrobe with a duvet between him and the mic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Morrison J wrote: »
    Can't understand the fascination with him. If we had a player playing in the conference people wouldn't be screaming for him to be in the team. That's the level Byrne is playing at. Be mental throwing him into a game like that tonight. Outrageously big step up for him.

:rolleyes:

have you seen Byrne play in the flesh? I have several times, he has what we need trust me. I agree though that he should move abroad again and test himself at a higher level.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Egan and Duffy have developed a nice partnership, it's a shame we didn't get more chances to use Duffy's aerial threat though. Stevens was solid enough at left back without being too threatening, but Doherty was disappointing, maybe time to consider Coleman?

Time to consider Coleman? He's injured

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

gmisk wrote: »
    Barcelona is a stretch.
    But we tried to play and it was great to see.
    I'd rather watch that than some of the muck under other recent managers.
    We missed chances as you say and didn't actually concede...

It was ****in ****, kenny isnt even in the same galaxy as whats required here.

This is international football, not friday night in ****in oriel park.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭MattressRick

That was the best Ireland played away from home in a long time, the patience shown was admirable albeit no end product or finishing touch for 3 great chances. But the attitude was great.
    Like how can anyone say we'd have won two games in a row against similarly ranked opposition playing the long ball ****e? We wouldn't. We were woeful playing that way under McCarthy.

what was said?

Some comment about players having to self-isolate cos they were only 1.7m apart instead of 2m. I didn't really follow it that well if I'm honest.

Sounds to me like Idah & Connolly did something stupid and he doesn't want to publicly land them in it because we'll have to replace our forward line completely in the next couple of years and he needs them.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    What a silly interview from Kenny. Keep your opinions on public health to yourself. Dope.

He's entitled to his opinion. At the end of the day the correct thing was done and the two boys are isolating.

Can Obafemi be called up for the Wales game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Should a few older heads retire ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Time to consider Coleman? He's injured
    Going forward obviously.

kona wrote: »
    It was ****in ****, kenny isnt even in the same galaxy as whats required here.

This is international football, not friday night in ****in oriel park.

Cos we were so good for the three years before he came in, weren't we?

Was like the Jack Charlton days so it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭RoryMac

We struggled against Gibraltor and Georgia under Mick. We created 3 clear cut chances. We dominated a team away from home.

Stop with the codding lad.

Anything would be a step up from Mick's 2nd term in charge.

Hardly dominated, we were slightly better and they weren't any great shakes.

It's good to see us having a bit more possession but we're very short on quality in central midfield and up front.

Can't fault the players or Kenny tonight they did their best but we're simply not good enough

• Advertisement
Advertisement