Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Slovakia vs Ireland, Nations League Playoff - Mod Note in OP

1131415161719»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭radiata

Where has Michael Obafemi been?

He's been sitting on the bench for Southampton so far this season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭crossman47

crossman47 wrote: »
    Why we should be expected to win tonight is a mystery - away to a team of roughly equal ranking. We have no goal scorer and that will tell.

Can't blame Kenny. This is what I posted yesterday. I used to be one of those who said Robbie only scored tap ins but I ignored the fact that he was there to do it. Same as Inzaghi (remember him) who Fergie said was born offside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

kona wrote: »
    Sure is, we have scored 1 goal in like 4 games. Odds on to win alright :confused::)

You must be a superstar gamblooor!

Fact is for 2 years youd have made a deposit on a house if you rolled A e50 over a under 2.5 in ireland games.
    Another fact that’s not a fact? Your deposit would be back to zero after 2 x 3-1 matches towards the end of last year.

I’d say you were good at making up stories in school.

McGoldrick played well last night but he's not a goalscorer. We don't have goalscoring wingers nor midfielders so we're really in the ha'penny place.

It's time to get the youngsters in up top.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,123 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

crossman47 wrote: »
    Can't blame Kenny. This is what I posted yesterday. I used to be one of those who said Robbie only scored tap ins but I ignored the fact that he was there to do it. Same as Inzaghi (remember him) who Fergie said was born offside.

I didn't appreciate Keane either as I always assumed there must have been a more talented player out there for Ireland but seems I was very wrong

Inzaghi though I always thought was a legend and couldn't understand why so many people particularly Premier League fans couldn't see it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

McGoldrick played well last night but he's not a goalscorer. We don't have goalscoring wingers nor midfielders so we're really in the ha'penny place.

It's time to get the youngsters in up top.

Doherty is a goal scoring wing back to be fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭McFly85

TheCitizen wrote: »
    I don't see that happening at all. I think anyone with an ounce of sense wouldn't blame the manager for that exit last night. Stephen Kenny will get time and support so long as there are signs that good work is being put in by himself and the players and there was signs of that last night despite going out on penalties.

You’d think so, but I’m genuinely surprised at the amount of people who have already seen enough(these people seem to be generally against his appointment anyway). Even looking back on this thread previous managers have been described as pragmatic, when the term id use would be negative.

Kenny deserves to keep his job for another 4 years unless WC qualification is a complete disaster.
    Based on what we’ve seen so far that’s not going to be the case, and I reckon the worst we’ll do will be about as good as we had been under previous management.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Only for Covid these matches should have been under Mick.

Kenny was due take over country that was starting a Nations league and World cup campaign. The general idea was that the world cup campaign would give him that time and then push on for Euro 2024.

It's tough enough to qualify for World Cup but going be just tougher under new format which we know wont suit us.

Rome was not built in a day. Kenny needs time. He needs 2 campaigns.. this playoff was not 1 if them

Kenny was due take over country that was starting a Nations league and World cup campaign. The general idea was that the world cup campaign would give him that time and then push on for Euro 2024.

It's tough enough to qualify for World Cup but going be just tougher under new format which we know wont suit us.

Rome was not built in a day. Kenny needs time. He needs 2 campaigns.. this playoff was not 1 if them

I wouldn't worry no one but the insane and WUMs would even contemplate it in the near future

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Meh. If we're eliminated from contention with numerous games to go in the coming campaign he'll be fired, like every Irish manager before him going back decades. He needs to bring it down to the last game at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

penalties are literally a lottery. Dúndalk lost the 2017 Cup final on penalties, beat Riga on penalties, beat Derry in the EA Sports Cup final on penalties, lost the 2019 Cup final
    to Rovers on penalties, and beat Sheriff on penalties. Its on the day and if your luck is in. Stephen was unlucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

McFly85 wrote: »
    You’d think so, but I’m genuinely surprised at the amount of people who have already seen enough(these people seem to be generally against his appointment anyway). Even looking back on this thread previous managers have been described as pragmatic, when the term id use would be negative.

Kenny deserves to keep his job for another 4 years unless WC qualification is a complete disaster.
    Based on what we’ve seen so far that’s not going to be the case, and I reckon the worst we’ll do will be about as good as we had been under previous management.

When people talk about pragmatism I think it’s to do with finding a system that suits the players we have. That doesn’t mean hoofing it but it also doesn’t mean passing out from the back for the sake of it and slowing the game down while passing it around for the sake of it. Last night was a pragmatic display and we also used the ball well at times. If Kenny has the team playing like that he’ll keep his job and be given a couple of campaigns at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭McFly85

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Meh. If we're eliminated from contention with numerous games to go in the coming campaign he'll be fired, like every Irish manager before him going back decades. He needs to bring it down to the last game at least.

Really depends on the group. If we land in a group that’s got the Netherlands as 2nd seeds then comfortable third is a decent target. I think there should be no burden of qualification for the WC and his job should only be in question if they finish comfortably below their seeding, with automatic qualification for 2024 the primary target.

Really depends on the group. If we land in a group that’s got the Netherlands as 2nd seeds then comfortable third is a decent target. I think there should be no burden of qualification for the WC and his job should only be in question if they finish comfortably below their seeding, with automatic qualification for 2024 the primary target.

Our targets should be based on the situation of the qualification group, availablity of players and the reality of the situation at the time. The 90s are a long time ago and alot of Irish fans need to get over the idea that all these former eastern bloc teams are cannon fodder there to be beaten by fellow minnows like Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

champchamp wrote: »
    Kenny didn't pick him for some unknown reason.

The reason is very well known, whether you agree or not is a different matter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 242 ✭✭champchamp

The reason is very well known, whether you agree or not is a different matter

I don't know the reason. What is it?

champchamp wrote: »
    I don't know the reason. What is it?

Anytime anyone ever says something is "well known" rather than just say why it's because it's either really obscure or the poster doesn't know themselves

Noble, possibly correct. But not realistic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Randolph was so close to being the hero last night. Extra annoying that NI would have been up next.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Since I have no time for Kenny, can't say I was overly disappointed with the result.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

Is there a tree where Ireland managers are grown? How many do you think the FAI can burn through hoping they can get a performance out of strikers who don't score goals?

How much compensation can a bankrupt organisation pay to each of them who fail?

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭plibige

Since I have no time for Kenny, can't say I was overly disappointed with the result.

Why do you have no time for Kenny?

Seems a bit backwards to not be disappointed when your country loses over an issue with a manager, you sure you are a fan?

plibige wrote: »
    Why do you have no time for Kenny?

Seems a bit backwards to not be disappointed when your country loses over an issue with a manager, you sure you are a fan?

Here is a real fan. Poor fella was in bits after the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Here is a real fan. Poor fella was in bits after the game.

Gary is as sound as they come. Very nice man

Gary is as sound as they come. Very nice man

Seems like decent auld salt. feel sorry for the fella. Puts his heart and soul into supporting the team.

He is brother of Karl Spain (comedian) as well. Only found that out recently.

dfx- wrote: »
    Is there a tree where Ireland managers are grown? How many do you think the FAI can burn through hoping they can get a performance out of strikers who don't score goals?

How much compensation can a bankrupt organisation pay to each of them who fail?

There’s no shortage of managers in football!

And Kenny is our cheapest manager to dispose of since Kerr.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭tanko

Haven't been following this today, just wondering if UEFA would have had any problem with Connolly and Idah playing last night?

tanko wrote: »
    Haven't been following this today, just wondering if UEFA would have had any problem with Connolly and Idah playing last night?

This is what I'm annoyed about. I'm not certain at all that Connolly and Idah had to be left out.

As far as I know the guidelines in Ireland are 1 to 2 metres, not specifically 2 metres. But even if we were in breach of Irish HSE guidelines, we weren't in Ireland when it was happening. The guidelines we needed to adhere to were UEFA guidelines, were they not?

Stephen Kenny said if Connolly was playing for a different country he could have played, and he was ruled out because we have particularly stringent guidelines re Covid in Ireland. However they are just guidelines, they're not hard and fast rules a lot of the time.

Why were we applying extra stringent HSE guidelines when we were in a different country? Was there no one there with a bit of cop on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

I haven't read most of this thread but I'd find it hard to see how any complaints about last night could be directed at Kenny. Team performed well, created chances, didn't concede and no issues with team selection. We didn't qualify for the euros and that's extremely disappointing but how can the blame lie at his door when he has managed us for only one game in the whole campaign and it was by far our best performance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,369 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

We didn't qualify for the euros and that's extremely disappointing but how can the blame lie at his door when he has managed us for only one game in the whole campaign and it was by far our best performance?

Because there are a group of Irish fans who already made their minds up on Stephen Kenny back in 2018 when he was given the U21 job and pencilled in as Mick's replacement.

I haven't read most of this thread but I'd find it hard to see how any complaints about last night could be directed at Kenny. Team performed well, created chances, didn't concede and no issues with team selection. We didn't qualify for the euros and that's extremely disappointing but how can the blame lie at his door when he has managed us for only one game in the whole campaign and it was by far our best performance?

Not blaming Kenny for the exit. The team played well and should/would have won if they took their chances. The performance was much better than the two NL games previously.

I'm pissed off about what happened with Connolly and Idah. There has not been a proper explanation of what happened there and if it was actually necessary to pull both players out of the squad prior to kick off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭tanko

This is what I'm annoyed about. I'm not certain at all that Connolly and Idah had to be left out.

As far as I know the guidelines in Ireland are 1 to 2 metres, not specifically 2 metres. But even if we were in breach of Irish HSE guidelines, we weren't in Ireland when it was happening. The guidelines we needed to adhere to were UEFA guidelines, were they not?

Stephen Kenny said if Connolly was playing for a different country he could have played, and he was ruled out because we have particularly stringent guidelines re Covid in Ireland. However they are just guidelines, they're not hard and fast rules a lot of the time.

Why were we applying extra stringent HSE guidelines when we were in a different country? Was there no one there with a bit of cop on?

The whole things sounds like a shambles, the two lads could have made all the difference. That game was ideal for Connolly to come on in the second half.
    The FAI should clarify exactly who made the decisions and why they were made.

tanko wrote: »
    The whole things sounds like a shambles, the two lads could have made all the difference. That game was ideal for Connolly to come on in the second half.
    The FAI should clarify exactly who made the decisions and why they were made.

I'm not certain you'll ever get proper clarification on this because I think they inexplicably shot themselves in the foot unnecessarily.

Did they ring someone in the HSE that gave them an error on the side of caution answer, is that what happened?

Who's guidelines were they supposed to be adhering to UEFA or the HSE? Why didn't they ask UEFA for guidance?

Anyone in the HSE will just cover their own ass, they fúcked it up big time.

The manager forced to change his team just prior to kick off and a couple of strikers suddenly unavailable to play who have now gone back to their clubs btw. Are they self isolating for 14 days? Will they miss their next club games as a result?

An omnishambles of Saipan proportions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭adaminho

I would think it's to do with when they arrive back to Ireland. The HSE would insist on the entire team being close contacts and have to Isolate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

joeysoap wrote: »
    penalties are literally a lottery. .

They're literally not.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Anyone in the HSE will just cover their own ass, they fúcked it up big time.

The fate of irish football is the least of the HSEs concerns

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭NewMan1982

I seen a post somewhere suggest that the issue would be for the Welsh game if those players played on Thursday.

I’ve no idea if that’s true but a full explanation should be given. So what if someone messed up, acknowledge it, learn from it and move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

I pity any neutral who watched that. What a dreary display. When it really mattered many Irish passes went to nobody.

Advertisement