Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance on vacant property query

Options
  • 08-10-2020 5:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭

hi folks, my query is in relation to an elderly relatives property.

My relative has moved into full time residential care, where she has been for at least 6 months. She has told me that the property is insured, but there is something nagging me that if a property is vacated for more than a certain period, the insurers must be informed - is this correct, and if so, does anyone know what the defined period is?

The property is located in a residential/commercial area, and is just off the main street of a town. It was previously a commercial premises (hers) with living quarters above. The commercial side has not been in use for approx. 30 years.

A related concern is that the property although habitable, is in disrepair, and I am worried that if, for example, slates were to fall from the roof and cause damage or worse, who is liable?

My relative is totally compos mentis, but it is difficult to have a proper chat with the visiting restrictions currently in place.

thanks

Comments

Advertisement