Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planning on building a solid streaming/recording/gaming PC

Options
  • 08-10-2020 5:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭

Howyie

So my old goat of a PC is really starting to show it's age. I play at 1080p on a 144hz monitor. The system is an i5-4690k with a gtx970 and 16gb ram. It still does okay for just gaming.

Recently I've started recording my gameplay and editing the videosjust as a little hobby. This is where it really starts to lag and stutter. So I've decided I would like to build a new rig. Especially with the announcement of the new 3000 series cards.

From what I understand and read online, is that I should wait a month or two before I build as there is lot's of new stuff coming from AMD. (just watched the zen3 launch)

My question is, Would it be worth it for me to plan the build now and try acquire the parts over the next few months, let's say leading up to December/January? Budget being around 1500-2000.

I want to be able to stream from this PC, record gameplay, and edit at 1440p. Is that a big ask? or should I stick to 1080p? I would hope that this build would last me at least 3 years

Should I be going for a 5900x with a 3080? or is that too little?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Simi

vlad2009 wrote: »
    Should I be going for a 5900x with a 3080? or is that too little?

Those are the two fastest planned consumer components. Where else would you go from there? The 3090 is only 10-15% faster than the 3080 which is long past the point of diminishing returns. Same for the 5950X. There's very few workloads that can really take advantage of the extra 4 cores / 8 threads.

If you can afford them and manage to get your hands on a 5900x and 3080, it's a combo that will serve you well for years to come. It would be an order of magnitude faster than your current build. You might be better served by a 3070 or Radeon 6000 series at 1440p though. The 3080 seems to hit architectural limits in some scenarios at 1080p and 1440p.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,391 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

5900X with a 3080, if that's in your budget, will work fantastic. You shouldn't see any appreciable latency while streaming and recording at that resolution during mainstream and AAA gameplay.

The 5950X is a 'flawless' twin chiplet, as in all 8 cores on 2 chiplets are active and passed QA. Whether you feel the extra few cores is worth the increase in price is personal IMO. If you are also creating, editing, encoding video etc. it could be worth it but practically speaking you wouldn't regret either buy. For storage, especially your recording drive/scratch-disk, look for something that will support the upcoming DirectStorage standard - ie., use NVME drives. It really depends on how serious your workload is, if recording streaming and editing is something you will do constantly, either choice seems good. If it's something you do casually, even a 5800X would do the job well.

AFAIK if you aren't playing at 4K, most GPUs are bottlenecked by the CPU, so you would probably be leaving performance on the table by playing at 1440p and using something like the RTX 3090. In any of these configurations, the streaming/recording load shouldn't be a burden to gaming. Your monitor refresh rate will play a key role and you may want to see online for benchmark comparisons to see if you get the gains per money spent going to a higher tier card, I suspect you won't get the return for that resolution.

You can get an X570 board now that will support it (if you can find a good deal) but launch boards are including redesigns that remove the chipset fan if that interests you, but otherwise the net performance sounds like it would be roughly the same unless they announce some other feature upgrade, you're just getting rid of a noisy part.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

Overheal wrote: »
    5900X with a 3080, if that's in your budget, will work fantastic. You shouldn't see any appreciable latency while streaming and recording at that resolution during mainstream and AAA gameplay.

The 5950X is a 'flawless' twin chiplet, as in all 8 cores on 2 chiplets are active and passed QA. Whether you feel the extra few cores is worth the increase in price is personal IMO. If you are also creating, editing, encoding video etc. it could be worth it but practically speaking you wouldn't regret either buy. For storage, especially your recording drive/scratch-disk, look for something that will support the upcoming DirectStorage standard - ie., use NVME drives. It really depends on how serious your workload is, if recording streaming and editing is something you will do constantly, either choice seems good. If it's something you do casually, even a 5800X would do the job well.

AFAIK if you aren't playing at 4K, most GPUs are bottlenecked by the CPU, so you would probably be leaving performance on the table by playing at 1440p and using something like the RTX 3090. In any of these configurations, the streaming/recording load shouldn't be a burden to gaming. Your monitor refresh rate will play a key role and you may want to see online for benchmark comparisons to see if you get the gains per money spent going to a higher tier card, I suspect you won't get the return for that resolution.

You can get an X570 board now that will support it (if you can find a good deal) but launch boards are including redesigns that remove the chipset fan if that interests you, but otherwise the net performance sounds like it would be roughly the same unless they announce some other feature upgrade, you're just getting rid of a noisy part.

A 3080 will cost you 890 ish euros if you can get one and the 5900x will be at least 560 euros so thats 1450 euros, for editing you will need 32gb of cl16 3600 which is about 150 euros and a half decent b550 or x570 board will run you 180-200 ish,you already have the monitor,you may have to look at fast drives also to take advantage of pcie4..with this rig you could easily play and stream at 1440 144hz

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭vlad2009

Thank you for the responses guys!

I think 3080 and 5900x is what I will try aim for.

Was just curious if there would be any other ideas, or if I really need the 3080 x 5900x combo and could get with something else like 3070.

Hopefully I don't end up having to overpay loads with all the shortage of supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

Was just curious if there would be any other ideas, or if I really need the 3080 x 5900x combo and could get with something else like 3070.

Hopefully I don't end up having to overpay loads with all the shortage of supply.
    you could go with a 3070 and a 5800x and it would be fine..i personally would wait till 28th october to see what big navi will bring both with price and performance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,391 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

3070 sounds like it will do great in 1080p gaming. until you are invested in going to 1440p+ 144Hz+ gaming I wouldn't consider 3080 or above, those are 2K and 4K cards basically with a lot of your money going to GDDR6 increases your setup wont take advantage of (unless you install Crysis on it?), that much memory is not needed for 1080p. If I had a 1080p 144Hz screen that would be the minimum I would consider increasing to, and that would probably justify bumping the card grade.

When the 3070 lands we will know where Big Navi is sitting too! I will have a total team red build this winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭vlad2009

I have a 1080p 144hz, but I was gonna retire that to my second monitor, and get a 144hz 2k for main. Record at 1440p. Also monitor not included in my budget, as I will probably sell my old rig to fund that.

Advertisement