Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your "comfort films"?

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Arghus wrote: »
    There's a few:

Raiders of The Lost Ark
    The Matrix
    Aliens
    Die Hard
    Goodfellas
    Fargo

I know these films inside and out, but would have no problem watching them again. Raiders, in particular, is as damn near to perfect filmmaking as it gets.

One thing Die Hard doesn't get half as much praise for is the perfect leaness of its script. There's not a single wasted piece of information: every single little last detail we get pays off in some way

I saw a great documentary about the making and casting of Die Hard. Worth checking it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

I've a mixed bag..

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
    Kenshin Himura
    John Constantine
    Matrix
    Twilight
    Alien
    Prometheus
    LOTRs
    Cinema Paradiso
    Pride and Prejudice 2005
    Blithe Spirit (Margaret Rutherford)1945

• Registered Users Posts: 14,508 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Aglomerado wrote: »
    Fred Gwynne as the Judge is brilliant in that! "Whatchoo warin'?"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭bo0li5eumx12kp

Honorable mention:

"The Hurt Locker"

I take comfort out of watching this as, the intended theme was "war is a drug", adrenaline junkie etc, but the theme that jumped out at me was, an expert, master of his trade plying his trade for a good cause.

True proficiency comes from enjoyment, like a master surgeon or technician in some capacity; a discipline that so many would find so difficult/impossible, and making it look not only effortless, but enjoyable.

That I find, extremely inspiring.

I understand that film was responsible for mass US army recruitment - that sucks, I don't support war but, the character the protagonist portrayed was extremely boss.

Advertisement