Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Intruder & Fire Alarms

• 08-10-2020 10:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Looking to start installing CCTV, intruder alarms & fire alarms in domestic premises.

Do I need to be a qualified electrician to do so?

Does anyone have any experience in this, or has anyone completed HiTechs online course for intruder alarms.

I am a graduate electronic engineer & I have experience with intruder alarms as I worked directly for an Irish manufacturer for some time.

Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭kub

Hi, what manufacturer did you work for ?

You do not need to be an electrician no, but you will have to have a PSA licence to work on CCTV and Intruder Alarm systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 LorcanMull

kub wrote: »
    Hi, what manufacturer did you work for ?

You do not need to be an electrician no, but you will have to have a PSA licence to work on CCTV and Intruder Alarm systems.

Hi kub,

Many thanks for reply, I’d rather not say on this.

Yeah I’ve read about the PSA that shouldn’t be a problem once I get started. What distributors are out there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭kub

LorcanMull wrote: »
    Hi kub,

Many thanks for reply, I’d rather not say on this.

Yeah I’ve read about the PSA that shouldn’t be a problem once I get started. What distributors are out there?

I appreciate where you are coming from ;).

In all probability a lot of the same ones that were there when you were last working in the sector.
    Gardiners became RWL which is now Fortus.
    Scot and O Shea, long gone.
    REW still there.
    Greenhills long gone.
    Borsatec long gone.
    Northwood set up approx 20 years ago.
    PC Pro went into security distribution approx 15 years ago and are now called Mercury.
    As i am not based in Dublin, there may be others up there, a lot of the electrical distributors also diversified into security equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭SDKev

To add to the above list

RSPL in Dublin
    SESCO in Meath
    AES in Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 20 LorcanMull

kub wrote: »
    I appreciate where you are coming from ;).

In all probability a lot of the same ones that were there when you were last working in the sector.
    Gardiners became RWL which is now Fortus.
    Scot and O Shea, long gone.
    REW still there.
    Greenhills long gone.
    Borsatec long gone.
    Northwood set up approx 20 years ago.
    PC Pro went into security distribution approx 15 years ago and are now called Mercury.
    As i am not based in Dublin, there may be others up there, a lot of the electrical distributors also diversified into security equipment.

Thats great thanks a mill for the replies & useful info! Greatly appreciated!

• Advertisement
Advertisement