Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New PC help please

Options
  • 08-10-2020 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I've received great help on here in the past.
    I'm looking to upgrade my work PC. It seems to have a heart attack when I ask it to do anything that involves multitasking.

my current model is DELL
    Intel i3-6100CPU @3.7GHz
    8GB ram
    64 bit
    running windows 10

Monitor DellTM UltraSharpTM 2407WFP

I don't play games but do need it to run the likes of adobe illustrator and photoshop.

I am capable of building one if necessary but wouldn't mind the convenience of picking one off the shelf.

I'm out of touch with what's the latest tech etc. I presume there is no point in upgrading my own one?

Is my monitor still ok?

all help appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Plode

Try Linux Mint on your old machine. You may be pleasantly surprised.

linuxmint.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

Plode wrote:
    Try Linux Mint on your old machine. You may be pleasantly surprised.

Not useful if he needs to run Adobe products.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

Macspower wrote:
    my current model is DELL Intel i3-6100CPU @3.7GHz 8GB ram 64 bit running windows 10

If you can upgrade the cpu and memory it'll be helpful. If it's your work PC... shouldn't your employer be doing this upgrade?

The Adobe programs you mention can be memory and cpu hungry, so going to an i7 or i9 cpu, or even a xeon, or an AMD Ryzen or Threadripper and up to 32GB+ of RAM should smooth those out.

Advertisement