Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does anybody use Aspen fuel in garden appliances?

Options
  • 09-10-2020 6:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭

I have read good reviews but itis about 25 euro per gallon it seems - The tools I have are lawn mower - blower and power washer.

Power washer is one I use most doing neighbours / friends etc - usually takes about a gallon petrol to do a drive - that would be expensive.

Aspen seems to be good for engine and you can store tools for long periods as it does not degrade - Any users here? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I use it for storage, if I am regularly using fuel then I use pump fuel.
    Over winter and if it will not be used for a a long time then I will drain the tank and fill it with Aspen, then run that through for a while.
    The issue with pump fuel is that it contains a proportion of Ethanol which will attract and absorb moisture from the air, this then condenses in the fuel and is sucked into the carb which causes corrosion and subsequent problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭loco-colo

Cheers CJH - not a man I would have gone to for some honest advice - but I will make an exception in this case.

As an aside.

I accidentally filled can with fuel plus petrol from Circle K and used it in power washer.

Noticed a huge difference in performance - not necessarily power - but noise and smoothness in flow - I will be using it from now on - a bit dearer but nothing in comparison to Aspen - I wonder could you go half and half for example. Thanks CJ.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

No point. If the Circle K stuff runs well then use it for day to day usage.
    Once you think about stopping for more than a few weeks, drain the carb and tank and refill with Aspen.
    Run it for a minute or so, long enough to pull the fresh fuel through the system and then shut it down for the winter.
    If its a Honda GX engine pull the starter until a rod passes through the 12 oclock hole in the recoil starter mechanism and the engine is sealed with valves closed.

Yeah - Washer is GX 200
    Thanks again CJ.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭P2C

I use the red aspen in my strimmers and chainsaw. Being using for years. Always had issues before started using with carburettors getting clogged.

• Advertisement

P2C
    Is the red the two stroke version of Aspen? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,376 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

loco-colo wrote: »

yep i was in kees getting aspen 2 for my chainsaw this afternoon, i use it in all my machines (leaf blower, hedge trimmer, chainsaws) everything just runs cleaner and im not smelling 2 stroke fumes for hours afterwards.

Advertisement