Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water pump - Can I turn this off overnight?

Options
  • 09-10-2020 10:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi,

I moved into a room that has the attic adjoining (little doorway from my room into it) where the water tank and hot water tank are along with the water pump (Grundfos MQ) 3rd floor of the house.

I'm assuming there is some issue like a leak or cistern (toilet) or issue with the pump itself as ever 2-3 minutes it kicks up and is quite loud. I'm a light sleeper (earplugs etc) so was hoping that I could switch it off over night as it has an off button.

Is this safe to do? Are there any consequences as in would it damage the hot water tank or someone tried to turn on hot water at night?

Praying I can turn it off to get a good night's sleep! Thanks

Also we don't have heating on from 10pm and not on in the morning, if that is relevant.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

pcoggy wrote: »
    Hi,

I moved into a room that has the attic adjoining (little doorway from my room into it) where the water tank and hot water tank are along with the water pump (Grundfos MQ) 3rd floor of the house.

I'm assuming there is some issue like a leak or cistern (toilet) or issue with the pump itself as ever 2-3 minutes it kicks up and is quite loud. I'm a light sleeper (earplugs etc) so was hoping that I could switch it off over night as it has an off button.

Is this safe to do? Are there any consequences as in would it damage the hot water tank or someone tried to turn on hot water at night?

Praying I can turn it off to get a good night's sleep! Thanks

Also we don't have heating on from 10pm and not on in the morning, if that is relevant.

Would it not make more sense to fix the leak or figure out why it keeps turning on?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭wilser

The only problem with turning it off is that no-one will be able to have a shower until you turn it back on, apart from that you'll have a good night sleep

• Registered Users Posts: 3 pcoggy

aido79 wrote: »
    Would it not make more sense to fix the leak or figure out why it keeps turning on?

It most certainly would but I'm subletting a lad's room who has gone away for the month and he failed to tell me of the rumbling water pump in the press in his room.

I will probably tell the owner of the house but likely they won't fix it or if it gets fixed I'll be gone by the time it's done. So really it is just a quick fix so I can sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 pcoggy

wilser wrote: »
    The only problem with turning it off is that no-one will be able to have a shower until you turn it back on, apart from that you'll have a good night sleep

Ah they can do without 2 am showers I'm sure. I'd rather turn it off at midnight and back on at 6am than not sleep. Thanks for that I was worried it would cause some terrible damage by turning it off. If it doesn't then I'll go ahead and turn it off each night late.

Advertisement