Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for refund for COVID cancelled trip to Australia

Options
  • 09-10-2020 1:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭

A friend of mine, and his girlfriend booked a trip to Australia through USIT in Jan, 2020

They were scheduled to leave in May, going through Thailand, in transit to Australia.

USIT was liquidated in late March, and my friend contacted AIB in early April

He was told to contact the Aviation Regulator, this was done in early April.

The Aviation Authority responded as above in the last week of September, stating they only covered flights, and as he received tickets
    he could not claim against them ...

He has applied for the charge-back from AIB now.

I was wondering, due to time constraints should he simultaneously contact Thai Airlines, Australian embassy looking for refunds
    for loss of money?

https://www.thaiairways.com/en/contact_us/thai_special_assistance_form.page

Here are the details from the liquidator.

https://www.kinlaygroupliquidation.ie/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,578 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

As your friend has the airline tickets in his/her possession, it seems that you have to choose between the options offered by the carrier.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭CFC1969

Thanks for the reply Dav010

The problem is, as USIT paid for the tickets it is more than likely they will refund to original card .....

Charge-back is the simplest process, but wondering if both approaches should be used in conjunction

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I don't see how this is of any concern of the Australian embassy, it's nothing to do with them.

Cabaal wrote: »
    I don't see how this is of any concern of the Australian embassy, it's nothing to do with them.

Apologies for confusion

Part of the package was a one year VISA to work in Australia

To my knowledge, It cost approx 200 EUR

• Registered Users Posts: 18,664 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

OP how come you're friend has left it until now to follow this up considering flights were for May. USIT is in liquidation do they cannot help. AIB will be unable to chargeback as they are in liquidation. USIT are s trave agent. Your friends only hope is to contact the airlines directly and see what is the result. You may contact USIT liquidator and put a claim in there but I think your friends will struggle to get a refund

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

OP how come you're friend has left it until now to follow this up considering flights were for May. USIT is in liquidation do they cannot help. AIB will be unable to chargeback as they are in liquidation. USIT are s trave agent. Your friends only hope is to contact the airlines directly and see what is the result. You may contact USIT liquidator and put a claim in there but I think your friends will struggle to get a refund
    This is not true, the chargeback process exists to protect buyers and one of these is in event of liquidation.

Bass

As I said above, he was told to dal through the aviation regulator in early April by AIB.

They relied in last week of September, hence pressure on getting things moving

Thanks for information

ELM327 wrote: »
    This is not true, the chargeback process exists to protect buyers and one of these is in event of liquidation.

Thanks for reply Elm 327

Do you know if Charge-back is a straightforward process, or what issues they will find ahead of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

CFC1969 wrote: »
    Thanks for reply Elm 327

Do you know if Charge-back is a straightforward process, or what issues they will find ahead of them?
    It's quite laborious but if you've paid with a branded card (eg VISA) then your issuer (eg AIB) is bound by the rules of the program

It's quite laborious but if you've paid with a branded card (eg VISA) then your issuer (eg AIB) is bound by the rules of the program

Elm327,

Thank you very much for your update, I will pass this on to my friend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

for a company that is in liquidation, it is not laborious. Its quite simple.

Call AIB, have transaction details ready, send info requested - usually copy of receipts and something to show liquidation and refund will be in 2-3 weeks.

Different if you are claiming for a faulty item or a non delivery, but liquidation is liquidation and this is exactly what chargeback is for

Thanks Silver2020,

I do not have knowledge of this subject, so all hel is much appreciated.

Advertisement