Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I post packets into a post box or do you need to go to Post Office?

Options
  • 09-10-2020 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭

1. I want to ship some small things for my mother on ebay/adverts and I was wondering can I put the stamps onto the packet then drop it into a post box on the street?

Ive always gone into a post office with packets and parcels before but it's not something I want to do nowadays (for obvious reasons).

2. Another side issue on this is if I look up the cost of posting a packet it's 3.80EUR national, but I'm getting packets from ebay (Irish companies) with EUR2.00 stamps on them. 2 weeks about I got a packet with EUR1.80 in stamps. How on earth are the doing that then?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,848 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Of course you can put a properly paid package in a post box.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,103 ✭✭✭✭elperello

The post offices are well set up re. covid 19.

I would consider them safe to use.

If you get the item weighed by the clerk you will be sure you are not overpaying.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,012 ✭✭✭✭L1011

If it fits in the postbox slot and is suitably stamped, its fine.

In theory you can go up to the size of the DeliveryBox if you have one but I suspect a normal rounds postie may not want to take a shoebox with them!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

you can also hand items to a post person who is delivering letters.

and remember you can get 5% off selected stamp boxes with an advantage card https://www.anpost.com/Shop/Stamps-labels/Advantage-Card small saving, but still something.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Sn@kebite wrote: »

2. Another side issue on this is if I look up the cost of posting a packet it's 3.80EUR national, but I'm getting packets from ebay (Irish companies) with EUR2.00 stamps on them. 2 weeks about I got a packet with EUR1.80 in stamps. How on earth are the doing that then?

It's people/companies not paying enough postage. IIRC An Post are supposed to get the difference off you before delivering, it's not wroth their hassle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Sn@kebite wrote: »

Are you sure that it was not a "large envelope"

This can be about 25% bigger than A4 size, and 25mm thick.

An post will allow 2-3mm grace on thickness.

100g is €2
    250g is €2.50
    500g is €3.30 (I think)

2 dvds packed together would be about 25mm

Advertisement