Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Guinness 470ml can

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

I've a feeling it will take off when it comes out on tap (if the pubs ever open again).

Wonder how much it would sell for in a pub?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,018 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I've wondered for years why there hasn't been an af Guinness stout!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Surely that comment was a wind up?
    I don't think so, a lot of people are ignorant about what they eat & drink. It does not help that you have the ridiculous exemption on alcohol so they do not even have to list ingredients or nutritional info, its a serious problem.

Even when the ingredients are there people do not read them, I have heard of several vegetarians who were shocked when veggie spice burgers were released, as they presumed the standard ones were.

I remember years ago 2 friends started drinking cans of guinness, not usual drinkers of it, I then discovered they were watching their weight and drinking it since it was 0% fat, as guinness were one of the few who sometimes declare nutritional info. I told them no beers have fat, and they were laughing at me, like I was talking nonsense, and saying "well why do you get a beer belly drinking beer?". You see this in lots of discussions on nutrition, many think you only get fat from eating fat.

Turns out guinness was a good choice for them as its relatively low in calories, I have also seen lots of people presume it is very high, as they consider it "heavy" and probably due to that phrase "there is eating & drinking in it".

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

rubadub wrote: »
    I have also seen lots of people presume it is very high, as they consider it "heavy" and probably due to that phrase "there is eating & drinking in it".
    I'd say it's due to the word "stout".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

wally1990 wrote: »
    I am looking forward to trying this.
    Their non alcoholic beer is supposed to be quite good.
    I'd be interested to see what non alcoholic Guinness will taste like.

I will definitely pick up some to try it when it comes out.

The launch timeline seems weird? Big PR push last week, only for it to come out "next month" in Ireland. Would have expected it on Irish shelves this week. And the UK get it first...

• Advertisement

Pen Rua wrote: »
    The launch timeline seems weird? Big PR push last week, only for it to come out "next month" in Ireland. Would have expected it on Irish shelves this week. And the UK get it first...
    I'm sure the supply chain logistics for something like this are Byzantine. The press launch happened just before it arrived in UK shops. That it was distributed to the UK first might have something to do with it all being canned there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Speak for yourself, there chief, cos you aren't talking 'bout me with that guff. I'd rather not have to deal with being ripped off under the guise of helping the alcos from destroying their lives.

Laws are brought in for the majority of the general population. They aren't based purely on your drinking habits. Just because you might be able to control your alcohol intake doesn't mean everyone else can.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,972 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Effects wrote: »
    Laws are brought in for the majority of the general population. They aren't based purely on your drinking habits. Just because you might be able to control your alcohol intake doesn't mean everyone else can.

Ah enough of this crap in the after Hours thread tbh.

Your on about the minority minority. Alcohol consumption gas been going down year on year for the last ten years. We arent the top drinkers in Europe I believe not even top 5.

The youth aren't even into alcohol anymore . It's image related and health related these days . But sure feck the statistics let the vintners misinformation campaign shine through.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭lasair

have you noticed a chnage in taste? I have for sure- it's more a stale pint, sharp taste, no real creaminess to it. Very much porter like. We got a case over the weekend, and whats left will be used in pies and stews.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

BeerNut wrote: »
    I'm sure the supply chain logistics for something like this are Byzantine. The press launch happened just before it arrived in UK shops. That it was distributed to the UK first might have something to do with it all being canned there.

Ah, true. I'll keep an eye on Tesco's off license aisles when I do the weekly shop anyhow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

lasair wrote: »
    have you noticed a chnage in taste? I have for sure- it's more a stale pint, sharp taste, no real creaminess to it. Very much porter like. We got a case over the weekend, and whats left will be used in pies and stews.

They're horrible. Bought a crate of them by accident before I realised they were any different from normal cans. Sat down to watch the rugby matches on Saturday and opened 1, absolute muck. Decided to give it a second chance with another can. Absolute muck again. Sent the missus to the off licence for some old cans as I couldn't drive anymore and a world of difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭vojiwox

They're horrible. Bought a crate of them by accident before I realised they were any different from normal cans. Sat down to watch the rugby matches on Saturday and opened 1, absolute muck. Decided to give it a second chance with another can. Absolute muck again. Sent the missus to the off licence for some old cans as I couldn't drive anymore and a world of difference.

And would you be one to enjoy a non nitro can/bottle of Guinness?

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭lasair

Glad it wasn't just me, or him! himself stuck at them longer. I couldn't stomach anything after 1....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 396 ✭✭Open the Pubs

lasair wrote: »
    Glad it wasn't just me, or him! himself stuck at them longer. I couldn't stomach anything after 1....

All reviews so far I've seen suggest they are dud cans that taste terrible.

Similar has happened before with Christmas slabs, but these new 470ml take it to another level!

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭ceekay74

Darc19 wrote: »
    Maybe it needs to be poured differently?

With the floating widgets the nitrogen goes into the liquid even as you pour.

With a fixed widget, if you pour immediately maybe you lose some nitrogen as it is not in the liquid once you start pouring

So maybe try opening, wait for 4-5 seconds, then pour?

Can someone do this and check.

As this experiment is In the in the interest of the consumer, a 7am can is OK.

I waited 5 seconds after opening before pouring and have noticed a slight improvement in the head. Still not buying these cans again though. Head not creamy enough, tastes off, like slightly sweet even. And even with the best possible chill and head, I can't get over the fact that it looks like the barman has taken a swig out of the pint.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,483 ✭✭✭beachhead

ciaran76 wrote: »
    Wonder how much it would sell for in a pub?

When they re-open about e7.00 outside of a city centre

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭DuffleBag

Not sure if anyone has seen but the video going around of the guinness tap in the pub. Mix between a nespresso machine and a normal tap. Lad is showing the staff in the pub how to work it. Pops the guinness can in upside down like a nespresso pod, presses a few buttons, pours, let's it settle until the computer tells him and finishes. Looks a serious thing to have at home, nevermind in the boozer.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭ceekay74

Any links to the video?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

Imagine paying for a nice pint in the pub and getting that sh!te

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Christ, cans in the fridge aren't visible enough so they had to engineer a can opener so they would have a font on the counter.

I like how the Diageo rep has already found a workaround for the cans being too cold. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

irish_goat wrote: »
    I like how the Diageo rep has already found a workaround for the cans being too cold. :pac:

Also if it says it needs cleaning, don't actually clean the thing just hit this button to make it go away :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭DuffleBag

I'm reliably informed they're not the same cans you can buy etc. They can't be opened by hand. Longer and thinner cans with no hand opening. These machines are also just for pubs who don't have guinness taps (imagine that)

Imagine paying for a nice pint in the pub and getting that sh!te
    :confused: It's exactly the same beer.

:confused: It's exactly the same beer.
    Guarantee you that will not taste as nice as a proper pint. I don't mind cans, but not for 5 quid a pop.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

DuffleBag wrote: »
    Not sure if anyone has seen but the video going around of the guinness tap in the pub. Mix between a nespresso machine and a normal tap. Lad is showing the staff in the pub how to work it. Pops the guinness can in upside down like a nespresso pod, presses a few buttons, pours, let's it settle until the computer tells him and finishes. Looks a serious thing to have at home, nevermind in the boozer.

It looks like a really expensive way to semi-automate the pouring of a can - only much slower than normal?

I mean - pull the tab, pour. Even stop pouring 3/4s of the way through if you buy into that brilliant marketing thing and let it settle, before finishing. Finish pouring. Job done.

Imagine that machine in a pub. "Six pints of Guinness, please. Can we get those cans, though, not ordinary pints?" "Sure. Come back in 15 minutes."

Guarantee you that will not taste as nice as a proper pint.
    Guarantee you wouldn't be able to tell the difference in a blind tasting, what with it being the exact same beer.

What would you expect to be wrong with it?

Guarantee you wouldn't be able to tell the difference in a blind tasting, what with it being the exact same beer.

What would you expect to be wrong with it?
    Surprised you think Guinness tastes the exact same from a can as it does from a proper keg set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭6541

Guarantee you that will not taste as nice as a proper pint. I don't mind cans, but not for 5 quid a pop.

I was stuck in Fuerteventura at the start of the Pandemic. Stuck in an apartment not allowed leave except for the shop. I used to buy Guinness in the supermarket 4 cans like 16 Euro's. The till operator actually commented on the price and how expensive it was.

Sometimes a guy needs a Guinness.

• Advertisement

6541 wrote: »
    I was stuck in Fuerteventura at the start of the Pandemic. Stuck in an apartment not allowed leave except for the shop. I used to buy Guinness in the supermarket 4 cans like 16 Euro's. The till operator actually commented on the price and how expensive it was.

Sometimes a guy needs a Guinness.
    I get that, I do, what I'm saying is that if I went to a pub and expected a normal pint and got one of them I wouldn't be impressed.

Advertisement