Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Dublin really that bad ?

Options
  • 09-10-2020 10:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭

Looking at Dublinlive for instance . Everyday the stories get worse, some horrible gang terrorizing some neighborhood or some article about car jackings, endless antisocial behavior and gang activity in the capital. Is a true reflection or just click bait ? I like to keep informed about what’s going on in the City, but it just seems like a constant flow of misery and carnage lately.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

All true, but no more then any other capital city in Europe TBH.

It's a dismal grimy city. Just like so many British cities. It's going to go downhill with crime and other issues. Just gotta accept that's life now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Valresnick

It's a dismal grimy city. Just like so many British cities. It's going to go downhill with crime and other issues. Just gotta accept that's life now.

Yeah seems we are becoming overrun by the grey and black tracksuit brigade. I think the state, police and Judiciary have lost all authority now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Valresnick wrote: »
    Looking at Dublinlive for instance . Everyday the stories get worse, some horrible gang terrorizing some neighborhood or some article about car jackings, endless antisocial behavior and gang activity in the capital. Is a true reflection or just click bait ? I like to keep informed about what’s going on in the City, but it just seems like a constant flow of misery and carnage lately.

Dublinlive survives on clickbait, do yourself a favour and put it on your ignore list.

Ah, the oul’ Dublin is a kip crowd will be out in force.

There’s a great road network out of the city lads. Safe travels. Say howayis to yer ma for me.

• Advertisement

JayZeus wrote: »
    Ah, the oul’ Dublin is a kip crowd will be out in force.

There’s a great road network out of the city lads. Safe travels. Say howayis to yer ma for me.

I don’t think it’s a kip, In fact parts of it have seen huge improvements since the 80s. What I’m saying is I think it’s getting more dangerous and more violent by the day which is a shame.

What I’m saying is I think it’s getting more dangerous and more violent by the day.

It's really not.
    It's a big city and some parts are not great, but so long as you have some common sense it's a grand city.
    I'm living in Dublin since 93, and i have lived and worked all over it, it's grand.
    Do yourself a favour, delete that website, it's terrible

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Dublin is a great place. Depends on where you live though, if you have a choice it is brilliant in some lovely areas. I live in one of them within the M50 ring and will be carried out in a box.

That doesn't mean that there are no issues at all, far from it, but that's life everywhere. Sure aren't the solo houses in country areas plagued with nomadic visitors up to no good, robbing dogs and worse.

Every place has it's pluses and minuses. But if you are a townie, Dublin is the best there is IMV.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

Dublin is one of the few capital cities (if not the only one) of a developed country where the city centre is ****e and the best looking parts are an hour away.

New York, London and L.A. may have their grim parts, but any tourist who wants to avoid junkies and grim parts just has to follow the tourist map and stay within the good sides.

No such thing for Dublin. O'Connell Street looks like a rundown kip. Dublins image can only be appreciated once you drive towards Donnybrook and the N11 or Merrion Square.

Dublin is one of the few capital cities (if not the only one) of a developed country where the city centre is ****e and the best looking parts are an hour away.

New York, London and L.A. may have their grim parts, but any tourist who wants to avoid junkies and grim parts just has to follow the tourist map and stay within the good sides.

No such thing for Dublin. O'Connell Street looks like a rundown kip. Dublins image can only be appreciated once you drive towards Donnybrook and the N11 or Merrion Square.

Won’t argue there. The boardwalk is like something from the Living Dead... The city center can be absolutely dog rough at times.

• Advertisement

Can you point out where in LA centre is a good side?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Parts of it are very bad. Parts of it are absolutely gorgeous. One thing is clear, the very bad parts are in constant deterioration. Each generation is worse than the previous.

We need a decent mayor that can clean the place up...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,307 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Merrion Square is in the city centre you know. Most of the South Inner City is really nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,095 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

begbysback wrote: »
    Dublinlive survives on clickbait, do yourself a favour and put it on your ignore list.
    Someone here described it as 50 percent click bait, 50 percent screeching. Pretty spot on.

I am from the country but lived here about 18ish years.
    I find it in general an extremely safe place with the majority of people being decent and friendly. Certainly more than a lot of other european cities.
    I was assaulted randomly about 7/8 years ago but it wouldn't colour my opinion of dublin and the people in dublin being in general extremely sound.
    Clearly some not so nice areas but you get to know them pretty quickly.
    I live in a real Dub terrace street, the neighbours could not be nicer, everyone will say hello and have a chin wag.
    It's home for me now.

You mean Donnybrook that is literally a 15 - 20 minute brisk walk from the door of Stephens Green.

An hour away my hole.

Won’t argue there. The boardwalk is like something from the Living Dead... The city center can be absolutely dog rough at times.

Certain parts of it are for sure. But not all of the city is rough at all. Blame DCC, blame the Gardai, blame whoever, there will always be parts of a large city anywhere in the world to be avoided. Everyone knows this.

I love Dublin, love the architecture, the squares, Stephen's Green and the fact that you can reach the sea and the mountains within a half an hour.

Love it and will never leave it.

Certain parts of it are for sure. But not all of the city is rough at all. Blame DCC, blame the Gardai, blame whoever, there will always be parts of a large city anywhere in the world to be avoided. Everyone knows this.

I love Dublin, love the architecture, the squares, Stephen's Green and the fact that you can reach the sea and the mountains within a half an hour.

Love it and will never leave it.

I won’t blame DCC or the Gardai. They both do their best. It’s a mix of lack of investment - education and also at times just bad parenting. Our judiciary are also very soft on crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

I love Dublin, love the architecture, the squares....

Tallaght Square is beautiful alright.

Live in Drumcondra myself. The whole way up from O'Connell Bridge through Summerhill and Ballybough can be pretty much considered a dive with plenty of ropey characters about.

Teenage bike gangs seems to be the latest thing.

• Advertisement

Tallaght Square is beautiful alright.

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

gmisk wrote: »
    Someone here described it as 50 percent click bait, 50 percent screeching. Pretty spot on.

I am from the country but lived here about 18ish years.
    I find it in general an extremely safe place with the majority of people being decent and friendly. Certainly more than a lot of other european cities.
    I was assaulted randomly about 7/8 years ago but it wouldn't colour my opinion of dublin and the people in dublin being in general extremely sound.
    Clearly some not so nice areas but you get to know them pretty quickly.
    I live in a real Dub terrace street, the neighbours could not be nicer, everyone will say hello and have a chin wag.
    It's home for me now.

Drug addicts get a hard time because of how it makes Dublin City centre look, but it is for the most part aesthetic only, at worse they are bit of a pain asking for money or a smoke, and may argue with each other. But if you are assaulted in the city centre than the chances are that it’s by a young drunk lad, or a group of drunk lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

That website is up there with the Liberal, which is ran by the Iona Institute...

Seems to me it is absolute drivel and hearsay published on a page and shared via Facebook and Twitter as their brand of shock headlines look good...

I won’t blame DCC or the Gardai. They both do their best. It’s a mix of lack of investment - education and also at times just bad parenting. Our judiciary are also very soft on crime.

There has been so much investment in so called dodgy areas for years. Sports facilities, swimming pools, community centres, drug treatment and so on. But when you get things for nothing there is little appreciation, and more and more is always demanded from Community Activists.

Education is free for all up to secondary level. Don't get the issue there, maybe it is lack of enforcement of attendance or something.

Meanwhile those of us who actually pay for this get little back either.

But I don't care, I'm a rarity, a fourth generation Dub whose Great Grandad was born in Bride Street. And I ain't leaving. It is what it is, a great place to live.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,582 ✭✭✭dubrov

That whole post is BS. Maybe stop reading the media articles and get out more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭AlphaDelta1

Nothing Robocop wouldn't sort out tbh OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,493 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

In fairness there is a fix to o Connell st....

If we could ninja the majority of fast food places. Put nice things, nice amenities there, nice places to go.... instead of just Internet cafes, Carrols, fast food places, people Qing for buses, arcades....

In fairness the Clearys quarter redevelopment looks savage. Hopefully it can kickstart the potential and standards of the area into high gear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

If the Guards got off their arses and policed anti social behavior things would be a lot better. You could walk around the city centre all day and not see a Guard walking around.

Strumms wrote: »
    In fairness there is a fix to o Connell st....

If we could ninja the majority of fast food places. Put nice things, nice amenities there, nice places to go.... instead of just Internet cafes, Carrols, fast food places, people Qing for buses, arcades....

In fairness the Clearys quarter redevelopment looks savage. Hopefully it can kickstart the potential and standards of the area into high gear.

DCC have a lot to answer for here. O'C Street is just perfect with the wide pavements for outdoor dining and that, and it could transform the place big time.

But I suppose the punters would be plagued with the unwell tapping their way up and down the street.

Worth a try though, Covid restrictions permitting of course. There are lots of ways to gentrify run down places. The only imagination in DCC is cycle lanes AFAIS. But many of the councillors represent the unwell and the so called disadvantaged and so on, so will only vote through things that help their deprived communities. That has to change. The city is for everyone especially those who pay for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,857 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

We need a decent mayor that can clean the place up...

Travis Bickle and a real rain more like

Advertisement