Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Dublin really that bad ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,197 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

francois wrote: »
    Been hearing the same crap about it going downhill for decades now.

Yep. I used to hear it in the eighties when I lived there. I used to see a lot of rough things. I first found a nice flat in Phibsboro in an old Georgian, then 7 months later moved into an Edwardian in Donnybrook. I loved both sides of the Liffey, but it was obviously softer on the eyes walking around Ranelagh, Rathgar and Rathmines, and Ballsbridge than the Northside nabes. I remember one day coming back from work, two little chislers, no more than 7 years old broke the triangular glass window on a car trying to rob it. I truned around amd said to them: Hey! What are you doin' there fellas? They didn't answer, one of them just pointed to the lock, sheepishly suggesting I open the door for them. Lol.
    I scooted them off, and found a lady cop to tell on O'Connell street.

Every other night I came out from my workplace on a street near the Royal Canal, there were kids burning pushcarts and baby prams and whatnot. One time, I was sitting at tea break at 3 in the aft, when a car sped into the front yard of our theatre set construction company's compound, and 4 guys came out w balaclavas, and ran out to escape along the canal. The most surprising thing was that a bunch of people ran into the yard
    and tried to get as much stuff as they could riffling through the glove compartment and all the rest of it til the cops came. Plenty of kiddies took part too.

In fact, the guys at the shop always had the garage door open in the summer and the kids would come and visit us all day! I remember my first warning about not letting my tools out of sight. The kids would steal and bring them to their dads and my colleagues had to go buy them back at one of the pubs.

There was this little girl, maybe 10 yrs, she came up to me one day and said: where you from mistah? America? I said no, Canada. She then said: this is moy sistah, Jacqueline, she's smert; she can say bollocks. Come on say bollocks you little **** ya! Lol. Her sistah was two yrs old.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

No parenting, no accoumtability, no
    deterant sentencing, no gaurds on the streets and generations of social welfare families who never have and never will work demanding their ‘rights’ to taxpayer paid appartment and city center houses free for life (ie e20 a week for a 3 bed house with parking outside) while they are handed medical cards and e200 a week + other payments and FIS cash &
    childcare top-ups to drink and drug off while they doss on the streets and make whole areas no go crime zones.

Whole blocks of Dublin city centre are
    drug and crime infested ghettos with the taxman,
    revenue , tulsa and social welfare workers & inspectors sitting with their eyes wide shut being allowed draw their salaries while watching families take the piss for generations. Sean McDermot Street, Charlotte Dock blocks of 20m appartments just bought for exclusive social welfare use at up to 500k per appartment, half of Ringsend is intergenerational social welfare - all this despite millions being spend in ‘education’ and schemes, Pearse St flats - multiple complexes, James St ghettos, Gardiner Street ‘flats’, Summerhill, creeping out to Crumlin, Drimnagh, Tallaght, most still a no go area 20 years on from the ‘new /SW occupied ‘appartments’ - poveety despite every opportunity and underpinning all of this is the free house once you leave school and get pregnant or sign on at 18 as ‘homeless’ and get an almost free 3 bed house on the back of the working poor guaranteed for life by the time you are 23 or less. And insist on your rights to refuse whatever is offered to stay in ‘your’ area and living beside
    your family. No wonder the city is a ****hole.

Zero accountability by those working for
    the government, zero accountability to the working poor by thise in administration or making policy, , zero insistance on taking up any of the jobs thousands seem to come to Ireland to work in - who we also end up paying for to accommodate in schools and hospital services etc for...more costs, congestion and crowding.

In the meantime the Irish scroungers, dossers and junkies are allowed litter the streets with
    their wasted lives and self inflicted diseases and drug abuse - which we also pay for - socially and financially. In the meantime our liberal left facilitates all of this with mo repurcussions for
    those in charge in welfare and revenue who fail to bring consequences or penalties for those flaunting and cheating the social welfare laws or for those caught and convicted breaking our criminal laws . Small wonder out city centre is a cesspit - and it streatches a lot further out.

I could go on but until the bleating liberals and profiteering rotating door of crime ‘free legal aid’ legal system and social welfare fraud and exploitation and the so called homeless industry who enables and facilitates them is tackled our city will continue to be an 18th century hovel and tourist and partying relic whose shell barely hides and interior infested with dangerous vermin who are let do whatever they want at whatever cost, human or financial because decades
    of authorities will not tackle drugs, crime or cheats.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

^^^ What he said. The city centre will always be a bit of a kip as long as we have all that social housing there, especially the Northside. It's not going to get any better because they just house them in new privately built builds now around the docklands and IFSC etc. Parts of the centre are gorgeous though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 ThePerfectE

I generally find the people that say Dublin is a kip, are people that don't live in Dublin and their only real experience of the city is arriving into BusArus and strolling around to Henry Street or Grafton Street and going nowhere else.

People can say what they like but Dublin is the only real proper city in Ireland. The county itself as a population of 1.348 million. Of course there's going to be issues and problems but show me a city of nearly 1.5 million people that doesn't have issues.

By and large, it's an extremely safe capital city. I live in Phibsbrough and I couldn't ask for a better area. I have the Phoenix Park 5 mins away, 5 mins in the other direction I've the Botanical Gardens, I'm right on the Royal Canal Greenway, that I use every single week to cycle to Castleknock and beyond. Never an ounce of trouble.

From this thread and other threads that have popped up on boards, the general trend appears to be that those that live in Dublin by and large love it. Those that don't live in Dublin, had a 12 year old shout at them and they're forever scarred.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,857 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Kylta wrote: »
    zell12 wrote: »
    Joe Duffy says Dublin is an unadulterated kip
    Joe who?

Duffy. It was the second word of the post you quoted. I can't believe you weren't able to figure it out.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

I can only imagine how different Dublin and Ireland in general would look had the famine not happened. We would have at least 10 million people on the island and maybe 5 million in Dublin.

Do you think it would be better or worse

rob316 wrote: »
    Nothing but hassle up there whenever I went on the beer, I've never gotten in a fight in my life on a night out I managed to get in 3 one night in Dublin.........

Awful luck or you were acting the cnut.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

begbysback wrote: »
    Drug addicts get a hard time because of how it makes Dublin City centre look, but it is for the most part aesthetic only, at worse they are bit of a pain asking for money or a smoke, and may argue with each other. But if you are assaulted in the city centre than the chances are that it’s by a young drunk lad, or a group of drunk lads.

100%..

Drug addicts find it hard to stand up straight never mind assault anyone. As someone who grew up around the NIC back in the 80s I can tell you not much has changed, it's just busier.

The smack problems back then ruined parts of the City for generations to come. It's all well and good for people to talk about D4 being nice etc, Things will only change in this city when 'real' investment is made in these disadvantaged areas, and by that I don't mean hotels or office blocks.

not yet wrote: »
    100%..

Drug addicts find it hard to stand up straight never mind assault anyone. As someone who grew up around the NIC back in the 80s I can tell you not much has changed, it's just busier.

The smack problems back then ruined parts of the City for generations to come. It's all well and good for people to talk about D4 being nice etc, Things will only change in this city when 'real' investment is made in these disadvantaged areas, and by that I don't mean hotels or office blocks.

In fairness the so called disadvantaged areas are given big apartments/houses by Dublin standards in the city centre, and are surrounded by more amenities than anywhere in Ireland. What kind of investment do you mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

Duffy. It was the second word of the post you quoted. I can't believe you weren't able to figure it out.

Wouldn't believe a word out of yer man Duffys mouth he's a spoofer like trump

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

So if you're a worrier and a nosey Parker..then Dublin is a kip :P other than that, it's one of the safest cities in the World. C'MON lads what's the crime stats in comparison to all other capital cities in the World.. a lot of fake news on here I reckon!?

So if you're a worrier and a nosey Parker..then Dublin is a kip :P other than that, it's one of the safest cities in the World. C'MON lads what's the crime stats in comparison to all other capital cities in the World.. a lot of fake news on here I reckon!?

Yea but compared to other first world cities, it's a kip. But then again, Ireland has only been wealthy since the 90s so we have a lot of catching up to do.

^^^ What he said. The city centre will always be a bit of a kip as long as we have all that social housing there, especially the Northside. It's not going to get any better because they just house them in new privately built builds now around the docklands and IFSC etc. Parts of the centre are gorgeous though.

Who's 'Them' ?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,857 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Kylta wrote: »
    Wouldn't believe a word out of yer man Duffys mouth he's a spoofer like trump

If DC wasn't 5 hours behind Dublin, or Duffy was on a bit later in the day, he'd be getting the Presidential calls rather than Hannity on Fox!

Who's 'Them' ?

The riff raff that live in the city centre and bring down the tone, and provide us with never ending streams of heroin addicts and teenage bike gangs.

In fairness the so called disadvantaged areas are given big apartments/houses by Dublin standards in the city centre, and are surrounded by more amenities than anywhere in Ireland. What kind of investment do you mean?

College opportunities and decent jobs would be a good start.

College opportunities and decent jobs would be a good start.

The opportunities are there, I suppose better mentoring and social services could help.

The riff raff that live in the city centre and bring down the tone, and provide us with never ending streams of heroin addicts and teenage bike gangs.

Must be nice up there in your Ivory tower.

You do know that Heroin addicts are not just confined to the City centre, I've heard rumours they have them in D4 and some other leafy suburbs.

The opportunities are there, I suppose better mentoring and social services could help.

Tell me how a young lad from the inner city is meant to get to Trinity.

Must be nice up there in your Ivory tower.

You do know that Heroin addicts are not just confined to the City centre, I've heard rumours they have them in D4 and some other leafy suburbs.

I don't exactly live in Foxrock myself. No I would imagine heroin is everywhere, but it's a massive problem in city centre social housing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Well it's not that the stories aren't true it's just that they aren't representative of the whole city. There's some really bad places to live in Dublin, and parts in the south east where quality of life is extremely high by any metric globally.

I don't exactly live in Foxrock myself. No I would imagine heroin is everywhere, but it's a massive problem in city centre social housing.

It's always been a major problem in the Inner city. I can tell you first hand some of the main reasons...

Generations of lack of investment in people.

Ignored by countless Governments.

Little or no counselling services for young people.

Communities feeling left behind.

Lack of policing.

I'm not saying it's easy to sort this problem, but if the powers that be invested in a multi-task force unit to tackle the issues in working class areas we could see progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Klonker wrote: »
    I think more guards on the streets would help. Its very rare you'd meet a guard walking around in Dublin in comparison to when you are walking around other cities around the world.
    Have to say the very start of lock-down was wonderful. Dublin 1 was heavily patrolled due to all the closed shops and it cleared out all the people who ruin the area.

PommieBast wrote: »
    Have to say the very start of lock-down was wonderful. Dublin 1 was heavily patrolled due to all the closed shops and it cleared out all the people who ruin the area.

actually, during the proper lockdown, the only people on the streets were junkies and alcoholics.

It's always been a major problem in the Inner city. I can tell you first hand some of the main reasons...

Generations of lack of investment in people.

Ignored by countless Governments.

Little or no counselling services for young people.

Communities feeling left behind.

Lack of policing.

I'm not saying it's easy to sort this problem, but if the powers that be invested in a multi-task force unit to tackle the issues in working class areas we could see progress.

Yeah I mean full on hands on social services, counselling, career guidance, family planning and all that, massive investment in this for these areas would probably be a lot cheaper than endless multigenerational people reliant on welfare and prone to addictions and all sorts. But no one seems to do anything about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭PommieBast

bubblypop wrote: »
    actually, during the proper lockdown, the only people on the streets were junkies and alcoholics.
    They came a bit later :(

Mr.S wrote: »
    Sorry, have you been to Downtown LA?! Weird to name-drop that when it's worse than Dublin.

Dublin City (and centre) is not just O'Connell Street. Totally agree the street itself is underdeveloped, and lacks any charm, but the other areas of the city centre are nice imo, especially south side towards Merrion / Iveagh gardens etc.

Yes. The worst of L.A and other American cities looks like a thirdworld hellhole compared to the worst of Irish cities. I went to the Hollywood Walk of Fame and there were homeless people eating out of the trash can

However, the best parts of it triumph the best of Dublin. You don't have to go too far to end up in Beverly Hills.

But what I was getting at is that it's easier to avoid the bad areas of L.A. than avoid the bad areas of Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

The problem with this thread is youll get loads of responses from a certain type, I see it all the time

People who work in dublin and come in on a train/ by car sunday night around 8 , go to their apartment or shared gaf , leftovers of mammys dinner in hand, get up monday and work through to friday at 5 surviving off frozen pizzas and oven chips, never leaving the house bar maybe one trip to a local spar, then friday at 5 its straight in the car / on the train back down the country to be in the local on friday evening and listen to other people talk about how much of a kip dublin is or pontificate about the one negative thing they saw on the way to work that week and how it makes dublin a kip.

People whove never spent a cent in the city, whove never gone out in the city, whove never done anything bar work there, claiming to be a moral authority on the place from their bar stool in galway/limerick etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

Augeo wrote: »
    Awful luck or you were acting the cnut.

3 fights in one night..... hmmmmm,

I had 3 fights one night as well, some dickhead throwing shapes at randomers, and I had the misfortune to meet him 3 times. Talk about coincidences.

In my 65 years, I've had probably three confrontations in Dublin city, none of them physical, but all nerve jangling - at the time.

I've experienced similar in foreign cities as well. One was Irish and wearing a Donegal jersey and gave us (two middle aged couples) sh!te for being Dubs.

So, it happens everywhere, but in my experience, 33% is caused by Irish visitors :pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭1990sman

the wang of the hum!

Advertisement