Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Dublin really that bad ?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

A lack of prison space and lenient judges along with drug use are the cause of criminals been bolder and more violent than in the past .

Parts of London though are a lot worse with knife crime in areas like Tottenham making main streets like Tottenham high road no go areas . It’s largely black on black youths but your not allowed say that . If you intervene you get stabbed to death as well . It’s start to creep in here but the judges still have a chance to prevent it getting as bad as UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

If DC wasn't 5 hours behind Dublin, or Duffy was on a bit later in the day, he'd be getting the Presidential calls rather than Hannity on Fox!

Joe sanctimonious prick Duffy, does not speak for dublin people. I say the majority of his listeners are outside of dublin. Duffy is basically an auldwan, anything that moron says ain't work listening too. He brought shame on the people of ballyfermot. Thats why he lives in clontarf now. Actually I met him on more than a few occassions if only abortion would've been legalised back then, sure the poor country folk wouldn't have to listen to his bolloxology now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

Dublin is beautiful.

Yesterday, I cycled out to the Great South Wall (about 20 minutes from the city centre on a slow bike) and the views were absolutely stunning. The lads I was with braves a swim but it was too nippy for me. Only a short DART trip for even more scenic views in Howth or Dalkey. I saw seals last time I was in Howth.

A couple of weeks ago I had a walk around the Phoenix Park and saw the lovely deer frolicking around. The zoo is a lovely way to spend a day.

I regularly walk in Bushy Park and it’s gorgeous; something for everyone there between the forest-y bit, the pitches, the tennis courts and the skate park.

I live in Rathmines where there are tons of lovely little cafes, pubs and restaurants within walking distance. Lovely buzz-y atmosphere to the area. I was in Smithfield the other day and it was great to see how many places had set up little outdoor areas to take advantage of the good weather. Stoneybatter is always nice for a bit of window shopping or some homemade snacks.

I’m close to the canal so I often walk along there too. It could do with a clean because people aren’t great about disposing of their rubbish properly but it’s generally lovely as well.

The Stella Cinema and the IFI are - I would argue - two of the best cinemas in the country.

There are plenty of museums and art galleries to visit, most of them free. I don’t go a lot, maybe three or four times a year, but it’s always enjoyable.

A walk around Trinity is always lovely. An al fresco lunch in Stephen’s Green too.

It’s by far the best place to live in Ireland. Unfortunately there’s a price tag to match.

Most people who hate it don’t know it very well. They think Grafton Street to O’Connell Street is the whole city.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

KiKi III wrote: »
    Dublin is beautiful.

Yesterday, I cycled out to the Great South Wall (about 20 minutes from the city centre on a slow bike) and the views were absolutely stunning. The lads I was with braves a swim but it was too nippy for me. Only a short DART trip for even more scenic views in Howth or Dalkey. I saw seals last time I was in Howth.

A couple of weeks ago I had a walk around the Phoenix Park and saw the lovely deer frolicking around. The zoo is a lovely way to spend a day.

I regularly walk in Bushy Park and it’s gorgeous; something for everyone there between the forest-y bit, the pitches, the tennis courts and the skate park.

I live in Rathmines where there are tons of lovely little cafes, pubs and restaurants within walking distance. Lovely buzz-y atmosphere to the area. I was in Smithfield the other day and it was great to see how many places had set up little outdoor areas to take advantage of the good weather. Stoneybatter is always nice for a bit of window shopping or some homemade snacks.

I’m close to the canal so I often walk along there too. It could do with a clean because people aren’t great about disposing of their rubbish properly but it’s generally lovely as well.

The Stella Cinema and the IFI are - I would argue - two of the best cinemas in the country.

There are plenty of museums and art galleries to visit, most of them free. I don’t go a lot, maybe three or four times a year, but it’s always enjoyable.

A walk around Trinity is always lovely. An al fresco lunch in Stephen’s Green too.

It’s by far the best place to live in Ireland. Unfortunately there’s a price tag to match.

Most people who hate it don’t know it very well. They think Grafton Street to O’Connell Street is the whole city.

Id agree with most of this, im not sure if id agree it was the best place in ireland to live but id say most people who hate it arse basing it on the walk up from connolly or heuston, which every country in europe theres junkies and homeless and sketchy types around train stations

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

Mr.S wrote: »
    What are the "bad" areas of Dublin though? In the core city that would be Talbot Street, Boardwalk, the lower end of O'Connel Street and...? Pretty easy to avoid imo.

Well having lived both in the U.S. and Ireland, I can say that American cities are much more segregated than in Ireland.

I used to live near Blackrock/Dun Laghaire and though it was safe, I was surprised by how many troubled characters from 'bad estates' caused trouble. There's a not so good area near Dun Laoghaire/Honeypark and Dun Laoghaire is a bit sketchy. I've had friends mugged there during the day.

In the U.S., the good neighbourhoods are far separated from the **** ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 ThePerfectE

Even the so called "bad areas" in the city itself aren't that bad. Summerhill, Ballybough and the likes have had a fair bit of money pumped into it & they're more pleasing on the eye than they would have been 5 years. If you walk through these areas, I can see why some might feel uneasy at a group of young lads sitting on the wall but they won't actually do anything to anybody.

Despite being perceived a "rough area", the north inner city is a melting pot of multiculture. There's a Chinatown, there's Brazilian places to eat popping up, African restaurants. It's great to see and nowhere else in the country do you get that.

Yes, there might be "an edge" with some drug addicts roaming about the place but this is a city, show me a city that doesn't have drug addicts. Sometimes, we always think the grass is always greener.

As I've said before, the people who seem scared of Dublin are those arriving in on a day trip from Kinnegad who aren't really used to city life or read DublinLive.com

Id agree with most of this, im not sure if id agree it was the best place in ireland to live but id say most people who hate it arse basing it on the walk up from connolly or heuston, which every country in europe theres junkies and homeless and sketchy types around train stations

Anyone coming into Connolly or Bus Aras gets a terrible first impression of the city, and lots of country people go straight from there to the airport or Croke Park. They only ever get to know a tiny slice of the city and unfortunately it’s one of the worst bits.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,307 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

However, the best parts of it triumph the best of Dublin. You don't have to go too far to end up in Beverly Hills.

Gaudy mansions, ridiculously big cars and fake tits and teeth all over the place. That isn't something we should aspire to. Anyway Dalkey and Killiney are nicer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,344 ✭✭✭mojesius

I grew up in Dublin and rented in city centre (D1) for 5 years. Dublin city is a weird one where (personally) it felt safer walking alone at night than during the day.

By safer, I found that beggars/junkies are much more prominent during the day, approaching you for money or randomly saying 'what are ya looking at?' when you're not looking at them. Also the gangs of biking teenagers can be a bit intimidating but just ignore them and they won't hassle you.

With that said, I never had any real hassle apart from a scumbag hitting me with a plastic bottle on the luas that he meant to throw at 'his moh' who he was arguing with. No apology or anything until my now husband insisted on it.

It was great being able to go out anywhere in the city at night and stroll home. Never had any hassle at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

Mr.S wrote: »
    What are the "bad" areas of Dublin though? In the core city that would be Talbot Street, Boardwalk, the lower end of O'Connel Street and...? Pretty easy to avoid imo.

There only alive around day time, most of the junkies head out of town when it starts to close down. Their are loads of council flats around the city and the majority of them are actually quite, but some are full of life. The problem with dublin is that their suburban areas are actually a lot livelier in the night time than the day time. This will also become more prevalent on Halloween night for instance. I'm a dub and I'm born and reared in the city centre, and I don't fear my city, I know there are parts of it that has been destroyed be criminality but there is more of it thats good. The city centre will only hold memories for most dublin people, the majority of people living in the city centre are foreigners,(which is a good thing, the smell of food in parnell st in the nightime is massive, its chinatown ). In regards to people whether your from dublin, cork, limerick etc, you'll find good and bad people.

• Advertisement

Comparing Dublin to cities like New York, LA, or even London is ridiculous. They have 10x the population.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 ThePerfectE

Anyone coming into Connolly or Bus Aras gets a terrible first impression of the city, and lots of country people go straight from there to the airport or Crome Park. They only ever get to know a tiny slice of the city and unfortunately it’s one of the worst bits.

Nail on the head

• Registered Users Posts: 3,197 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

Dublin is beautiful.

Dublin is a very pretty place for the most part. The scenery on the coast and in the hills is amazingly beautiful. I hadn't visited Ireland since 1988, and was not disappointed with the improvements, which were many. The city and suburbs have a lot going for them. But I also have to say that this free for all welfare bit is absurd. It reminds me of what Canada's bottle feeding of the Indian reservations.
    This taking away of the nomadic lifestyle.and providing materially for them without expecting higher educational attainment has been a disaster. They would take away kids from their parents for years withhout visitation, end up abused by clergy and staff in schools. Their ancestral skills in hunting, fishing and crafts were depleting and self destructive tendencies cranked up.

I saw a lot of that misery up close in Dublin. It is real, and inbred, and throwing money at it doesn't solve it. I can see how Dubliners are pissed at the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

not yet wrote: »
    Tell me how a young lad from the inner city is meant to get to Trinity.

Practice...oh no that’s Carnegie hall

• Registered Users Posts: 19,857 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

He could probably walk if he is from the inner city. Or go by bike - either his own, a dublin bikeshare or one he stole borrowed.

Alternatively, he could even go by bus or taxi. And if near a dart, he could get it to Pearse St. station which is just out the back of Trinity. And sure even the Luas goes around the front of it now.

So loads of options for him. Walking would probably be the most practical though. If he is from the inner city, he would likely also have the street smarts not to get stabbed along his journey.

He could even write a buke about his jaunt across the city - Ulysses II .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

He could probably walk if he is from the inner city. Or go by bike - either his own, a dublin bikeshare or one he stole borrowed.

Alternatively, he could even go by bus or taxi. And if near a dart, he could get it to Pearse St. station which is just out the back of Trinity. And sure even the Luas goes around the front of it now.

So loads of options for him. Walking would probably be the most practical though. If he is from the inner city, he would likely also have the street smarts not to get stabbed along his journey.

He could even write a buke about his jaunt across the city - Ulysses II .

You're a clever, clever guy. I honestly never thought of those options..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,197 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

^^^^
    Whah? Wha's dat abou' bukes? I vuggin' 'ate bukes.

Surely a few inner city Dubs go to Trinity every year.... Points system etc ensures they can same as anyone else :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Valresnick wrote: »
    We need a decent mayor that can clean the place up...

But we already have Her Excellency Mayor Hazel Chu.

Her role is two fold;

1. To remind us how irredeemably racist/sexist/bigoted we are.

2. To promote cycling.

What more would a city need?

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Shakey_jake

I've been to a lot of cities pal,

And let me tell ya, never once did i experienced something like the luas red line

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

Dublin is beautiful.

If you can afford to live in Rathmines, or are lucky enough to find a place to live there, then yes, you are lucky and can take full advantage of Dublin City. A separate thread though...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

City centre Northside centred around OConnell street, Talbot St, Abby St, Connelly station etc is an absolute kip, there's no denying it. The rest is grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,857 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Augeo wrote: »
    Surely a few inner city Dubs go to Trinity every year.... Points system etc ensures they can same as anyone else :confused:

Trinity additionally has an Access Programme as an alternate route into college for students from designated schools who don't get the points that the "regular" students do.

They were actually one of the forerunners in that type of scheme and it ended up being used as a model for other universities worldwide.

Although the Irish State actually had a much longer running access programme to enable people of lesser academic ability to experience something of what it might be like to attend a university. I can't remember the exact name....actually I think it was called UCD

• Registered Users Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭maninasia

I can only imagine how different Dublin and Ireland in general would look had the famine not happened. We would have at least 10 million people on the island and maybe 5 million in Dublin.

Do you think it would be better or worse

More like 20 million, it would be a very different place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭StackSteevens

Walk?

More seriously, haven't you heard of the HEAR, DARE or TAP schemes? (One of my kids was a TAP tutor there for a number of years - it's an excellent route to the third level for people from disadvantaged backgrounds.)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,642 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Study hard and get a good night's sleep before exams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭StackSteevens

Although the Irish State actually had a much longer running access programme to enable people of lesser academic ability to experience something of what it might be like to attend a university. I can't remember the exact name....actually I think it was called UCD

I'm old enough to have sat both the Trinity and NUI Matriculation examinations and, for the record, the NUI one was much harder!

(Alternative interpretation: I did better in the Trinity one!)

Granadino wrote: »
    If you can afford to live in Rathmines, or are lucky enough to find a place to live there, then yes, you are lucky and can take full advantage of Dublin City. A separate thread though...

Almost all the things/ places I mentioned that I love in Dublin are free.

No charge for a walk around Trinity, a cycle to South Wall, seeing the deer in the Phoenix Park, feeding the ducks in Stephen’s Green, going to one of the National Museums.

Relatively low-cost (€5-20) for the other things I mentioned like cinema and the zoo, DART tickets to Howth, or a nice lunch/coffee.

Plenty to do in Dublin without breaking the bank, which can’t be said for most of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,761 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Dublin suffers from petty criminals and drug abuse but more importantly suffers from policy failures.

The biggest one I can think of is the drug clinics which are concentrated in the north city center in particular.

I could never understand that sort of self vandalising of the city center. It effectively surrenders a good portion of it to the addicts and like flies on sh!t the scummer elements follow. Whole place is dragged down.

It's sad really but that's the way it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

Just last night went for outdoor food and pints in city centre. Within literally 2 minutes, and i mean 2 minutes, we had two beggars approach us aggressively. We counted 7 in total during the hour we were seated. One of them, lovely chap really, took major offense at my friend assuming he was looking for money, when in fact he was "looking for directions". Told my friend to get up, when he didn't he said he'd return in a few minutes and slit his throat from behind. Ah, the joys of Dublin and its salt of the earth people.

Problem is as others have pointed out, the grey tracksuit brigade, a.k.a the welfare class, have in recent years got more brazen, more aggressive and more numerous. There is zero fear of any authority figures, they laugh in your face if you mention calling the guards. There's a serious problem where PC police and human rights lawyers have tilted the balance in favour of these pond life. And the left want us to build more free houses for these people in the city centre at enormous expense, it's beyond belief.

Advertisement