Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Filming Gardai

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I think anyone who shoves a smartphone in a Guards face and starts filming them is a c*nt.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

Covid19 wrote: »
    Pretty much every Job. You would know that if you were working. People don't like to be filmed without their consent. You've heard of GDPR. Walk onto any farm in Ireland, for example, wielding a camera and you'll learn a thing or two. Folks outside the M50 don't put up with the bull**** that goes on in Dublin.

A farm is private property a public street is not

Oranage2 wrote: »
    They're public servants working in public. People are allowed to record in public. It's like a footballer saying he doesn't want to be recorded when he's doing his job.

If the Garda doesn't like it then he should find another job.

What difference does bring a public servant make?

And yes, of course a footballer would complain if you were running down the wing with a camera in his face and shouting at him.

In pretty sure my barber would get peed off if someone stood there shoulder to shoulder with him, annoying him with a camera.

Stop pretending it's just Gardai, it's not. It's every single worker on the planet. No one would like it.

Record from 50 feet away until the cows come home. Nobody cares.

Don't be so stupid and compare apples to apples.

Funny how any criticism of our peace commissioners to be held account like any other citizen brings ye all out, defenders assemble, tango, oscar, aphla we have a critic, defend. :)

Of course a judge wouldn't, guards judges and solicitors are all the one.

When did we start on the peace commissioners?

Oh, to think that's the same thing as a Garda.

You are really bad at this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Im melting away

When did we start on the peace commissioners?

Oh, to think that's the same thing as a Garda.

You are really bad at this

Play obtuse all you like, you're playing a blinder, /s

I should have wrote guardians of the peace but sure look, we all make mistakes :) except gardai.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

blanch152 wrote: »
    Unfortunately you don’t have a clue.

By international standards we have one of the least corrupt police forces in the world.

I am not comparing the Gardaí to the world police forces.
    I am comparing them over the last 20 years to the previous 80 years.

I am talking about quashing penalty points. I am talking about falsifying 1,900,000 breath tests instead of doing their job. I am talking shocking leadership and trying to stitch up McCabe.
    Morris Tribunal 2008: The Tribunal has been staggered by the amount of indiscipline and insubordination it has found in the Garda force. There is a small but disproportionately influential core of mischief-making members who will not obey orders, who will not follow procedures, who will not tell the truth and who have no respect for their officers

This is why the public lost trust and confidence in them. They might never get the respect back that they had. Except Phil Hogan of course.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,640 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

GT89 wrote: »
    threathen to arrest members of the public for filming them during the course of their work.

When did that happen, before filming began? :rolleyes:
    If they are breaking the law the Gardai can arrest if not they really should descalate.
    In this instance they should either arrest the person filming for assaulting them if they are guilty of that or de escalate from the situation

What exactly needed de-escalating?
    Gardai should be able to keep their cool in these types of incidents

He did - he walked down the road, did not respond to provocation and stared blankly into the camera.
    He didn't put any camera in the Guards face

So what happened from 0.26 until the end of the video?

Play obtuse all you like, you're playing a blinder, /s

I should have wrote guardians of the peace but sure look, we all make mistakes :) except gardai.

Pretty glaring mistake. Nah, don't buy it.

When you get something right, I'll respond. So this will probable be my last comment to you

I am not comparing the Gardaí to the world police forces.
    I am comparing them over the last 20 years to the previous 80 years.

I am talking about quashing penalty points. I am talking about falsifying 1,900,000 breath tests instead of doing their job. I am talking shocking leadership and trying to stitch up McCabe.

This is why the public lost trust and confidence in them. They might never get the respect back that they had. Except Phil Hogan of course.

Did you read your own quote? It doesn't back your argument. It actually says that it's a small group

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

The fella recording was a dickhead, the guard was wrong to try and snatch the phone.

Not really a big deal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,330 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

A farm is private property a public street is not

If you stuck a camera in my face, I'd give you a colonoscopy with the same phone.

Birneybau wrote: »
    If you stuck a camera in my face, I'd give you a colonoscopy with the same phone.

And then you would prob be arrested and charged with assault

Most establishments you go into and outside too your on CCTV, do you want to hit them all, all Gardaí should have body cameras on at all times while working, would solve alot of nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

The gardai are public servants. As such their actions are accountable and open to public scrutiny.
    If they've nothing to hide in their actions then they have nothing to worry about if filmed.

The gardai are public servants. As such their actions are accountable and open to public scrutiny.
    If they've nothing to hide in their actions then they have nothing to worry about if filmed.

Fair enough, body cams are a good idea. But to have a camera aggressively put in your face...

I was in one of my regular pubs about 2 years ago and this guy came in, went around the bar asking if anyone wanted to buy steaks off him. Steaks it became obvious he lifted from M&S. The barman takes no sh!t and kicked yer man out. Yer man came back in filming my pal, the barman, talking about assault. Only cnuts do that.

And your man from the first post, Andy Heasman, is a loser Cnut.

Birneybau wrote: »
    Fair enough, body cams are a good idea. But to have a camera aggressively put in your face...

I was in one of my regular pubs about 2 years ago and this guy came in, went around the bar asking if anyone wanted to buy steaks off him. Steaks it became obvious he lifted from M&S. The barman takes no sh!t and kicked yer man out. Yer man came back in filming my pal, the barman, talking about assault. Only cnuts do that.

And your man from the first post, Andy Heasman, is a loser Cnut.

So because it happened in a pub, there all scumbags now

The fella was a prick, but I've no problem with him recording the Gardaí, they are there to protect the peace so why would they care if its filmed

The fella was a prick, but I've no problem with him recording the Gardaí, they are there to protect the peace so why would they care if its filmed

It's the mindset. There (sic) all scumbags filming people from a position of deflection, I gave one example.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,906 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

They're just doing their job ffs, if they start acting the prick then fair enough but ffs

So can I follow the staff in Tesco around recording them and shoving a camera in their face? Then upload it to YouTube?

What about my mechanic? Doctor?

I pay their wages afterall!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,906 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Oranage2 wrote: »
    They're public servants working in public. People are allowed to record in public. It's like a footballer saying he doesn't want to be recorded when he's doing his job.

If the Garda doesn't like it then he should find another job.

Im a postman, does that give someone the right to film me?

buddabelly wrote: »
    Difference is Gardai can screw you big time with a few lies, get any interaction with them on video.
    Why would anyone object if the Gardai are all above board?

No whataboutery here and none of your bull****. Gardai produce evidence to a court. Nothing more.

Is it ok for someone to follow you in work all day with a camera one foot from your face? Would you not find that annoying?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

You can record the gardai so long as you don't interfere and inhibit their work, usually that means a safe distance of a few metres away.

Shoving a phone in a garda's face is a different matter.

The gardai should just seize the phones of these idiots as documentary evidence. Which they would be quite within their rights to do! Might put an end to fellas feigning assault and generally being toerags. Either that or start arresting these numbskulls for obstruction. Or both!

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    You can record the gardai so long as you don't interfere and inhibit their work, usually that means a safe distance of a few metres away.

Shoving a phone in a garda's face is a different matter.

The gardai should just seize the phones of these idiots as documentary evidence. Which they would be quite within their rights to do! Might put an end to fellas feining assault and generally being toerags. Either that or start arresting these numbskulls for obstrution. Or both!

Gardai don't have an automatic right to seize evidence. There's limits like the type of crime being investigated. Would be simpler if they could but alas, life's never simple.

No whataboutery here and none of your bull****. Gardai produce evidence to a court. Nothing more.

Is it ok for someone to follow you in work all day with a camera one foot from your face? Would you not find that annoying?

Do yourself a favor and check before arguing, it's amazing the coverage bridges have nowadays

DubInMeath wrote: »
    Do yourself a favor and check before arguing, it's amazing the coverage bridges have nowadays

Yeah I see that now

Yeah I see that now

Either that or care in the community isn't working out for some.

Gardai don't have an automatic right to seize evidence. There's limits like the type of crime being investigated. Would be simpler if they could but alas, life's never simple.

Seize them when they are within their rights to do so then.
    "You may have evidence on your phone that will help us with our inquiries. We're seizing your phone. You'll get it back at the end of the investigation...about 6-12 months or so."

They wouldnt be long turning the phone off and sticking it back in the pocket.

I know for a fact a Gardai lied and caused a fine, so if you can film all interaction with them do it, sure if they are only upholding the law what have they to fear?

I know for a fact that they don't.

I don't engage with people that just run theit mouths and won't engage in actual discussion and as you have ignored my question twice now, good day to you sir.

Just make sure you are streaming to the cloud, do you really think irish law enforcement are the paragones of virtue who have never lied?

And Joe bloggs standing behind the lens with his edited video and superfluous claims of assault is pure as the driven snow is he?
    Good one.

We can safely discard your opinion on the actions of Gardai as they are not based on reality, a reality that can be backed up with the testimony off numerous boards posters who have been on the receiving end of "justice" after Gardai testimony/s.

They are liars just as you are. I know that for a fact because Gardai told me.

Some tips for the future. Their and there are not the same. Garda is singular, Gardai plural, of and off are not the same. Forest only has one R

They're over there with their friends.

The Garda stood alone away from the other Gardai.

He fell off the chair after drinking too much cans of beer.

Mr Forrester went into the forest.

Oh and random people making claims online? They aren't facts.

So can I follow the staff in Tesco around recording them and shoving a camera in their face? Then upload it to YouTube?

What about my mechanic? Doctor?

I pay their wages afterall!

• Advertisement

The fact is , you did not ask me twice!

You made a claim and it is clearly false, so all subsequence posts from you are dubious at best..

Fact remains Gardai are capable of lies and have been proven to have lied, so best practice is to film all interaction with them, as they are doing the same.
    Sure if you are doing nothing wrong why fear being recorded?
    That goes for the Gardai and the public.

PS you are clearly clueless of grammar, probably a cop!

It's a fact that you ignore the question.

It's a fact that you lie.

It's a fact that anonymous internet posts aren't facts.

It's a fact that you correctly used 'of' at the end. Well done you.

It's a fact that"Clueless of grammar" is in fact, bad grammar.

Advertisement