Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Filming Gardai

Options

Comments

buddabelly wrote: »
    Its apparent you are a cop
    Its apparent you dont like the law applied to cops
    Its apparent you dont like to be recorded
    Is it because you know there are many bad cops?

The Gardai have cameras to record every interaction with the public, that mysteriously go missing when a complaint is made against them, so it up to the public to record every interaction with the law, just to be safe, sure if the Garda are doing nothing wrong what have they to fear?

As I presumed, you won't answer a simple question but instead continue with your baseless allegations.

Bye bye.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Guards should be given more power to physically disable gobshytes.
    A swift belt of a baton to the arm would put a stop to their gobshytery.

Go do that to a police officer in Russia and see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 52,012 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I would clap if I saw a Garda battering a clown like that off the street.
    The only people who support lads like this imbecile are those that have records for being bad boys and prison fodder.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

I would clap if I saw a Garda battering a clown like that off the street.
    The only people who support lads like this imbecile are those that have records for being bad boys and prison fodder.

So you would clap a Gardaí assaulting someone, says alot about you

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Did you read your own quote? It doesn't back your argument. It actually says that it's a small group

I think you missed the point. My post gave examples on how corrupt the Gardaí have become over the last 20 years. You took one example (Morris Tribunal) and suggested it was a few bad eggs. People made the same excuses for the Roman catholic church. Remember Morris was talking about the Donegal Garda force when he said 'The Tribunal has been staggered by the amount of indiscipline and insubordination it has found in the Garda force. There is a small but disproportionately influential core of mischief-making members who will not obey orders, who will not follow procedures, who will not tell the truth and who have no respect for their officers'.

My post also referenced 1,900,000 faked breath tests. Do you think they were done by a few bad eggs too?

And the quashing of penalty point which was widespread in every county.
    At the end of repeated investigations and nine reports into the debacle, no gardaí will face discipline.
    Even that small number who were most prolific at cancelling points – in one case 700 times across 17 counties – will face no consequences. That is the conclusion arrived at by the Garda Síochána Ombudsman Commission (Gsoc).
    The reason? Disciplining so many Garda members would simply cost too much and take too long. And the records on which further investigations of individual gardaí would be based were poorly kept.

Then there were the dodgy senior Gardaí and Commissioners who were spreading vicious rumours about McCabe in order to discredit him.

The list is long.

Don't get me wrong. I had huge respect for the Gardaí growing up I the 70s and 80s but I will never hold them in the same regard again. McCabe changed all that. The man is lucky to be alive.

A few bad eggs....or a culture?

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

We all know there was corruption in the Gardai and there isn't one person in the thread or society in general who doesn't want that rooted out.

But the other side is they can't even do the most basic duties these days without some scobe getting out the phone and filming them but of course we will only get half the story because they don't want the reason they came to the attention of the guards in the first place to come out.

It's then uploaded to FB and Twitter so the other illiterate dole lifers can share it all around the place.

Scumbags need clattering.
    To defend them says a lot about you.

I think if the Gardai started knocking lumps out of the kinda person recording in the video, there'd be a nationwide round of applause.

arccosh wrote: »
    GDPR has only partial powers for being filmed in public (consent isn't needed, but the length of time someone is in the video could be grounds for a GDPR breach).

As far as I am aware, it doesn't matter how long someone appears in a video, the important part is whether or not they are the subject of the video. Also, you can record all day every day, GDPR only kicks in when it comes to the publishing of data, if i recall correctly.

Im a postman, does that give someone the right to film me?

Being a Postman doesn't, but being in public does.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,682 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

So if a guard decides you fit the scumbag category and gives you a good “clattering” that’s all ok with you yeah???

• Advertisement

So if a guard decides you fit the scumbag category and gives you a good “clattering” that’s all ok with you yeah???

No but if some scrote like the boy in the video sticks a camera into your face and starts giving you abuse while your working then he’s fair game. It’s not that hard to understand, it’s what the thread is about.

Absolutely.

Despite the Gardai being a generally useless service with a glowing attitude of indifference and apathy, I tend to find you don't get grief off them unless you go out of your way to annoy them. They're a generally friendly bunch.

You can safely assume that anyone getting a beating from a Garda is long overdue it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

The Internet has a lot to answer for OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

imme wrote: »
    The Internet has a lot to answer for OP.

Internet didn't make the OP act like a prick. He did that all by himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

Internet didn't make the OP act like a prick. He did that all by himself.

Very true.

It goes hand in hand with people filming Gardai doing their job,
    People filming accidents, fights etc.

It has given rise to people speaking sh1te, the type of sh1te that they find online, going outside their area of expertise, and leads on to people saying Oprah kidnapping kids and similar stuff.

imme wrote: »
    Very true.

It goes hand in hand with people filming Gardai doing their job,
    People filming accidents, fights etc.

It has given rise to people speaking sh1te, the type of sh1te that they find online, going outside their area of expertise, and leads on to people saying Oprah kidnapping kids and similar stuff.

And wondering why the Garda doesn't like it. Said by a previous poster but if somebody filmed me at work he would find me a lot more aggressive than that first Garda.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,493 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

If a person by their actions is hampering a Garda to do their job in the manner or similar to what we’ve seen then I’d have no issue with the law enabling the Gardai with the ability to arrest them. I’ve no clue if they have this power but in the execution of their duties if somebody is behaving like we’ve seen I think in the interest of the safety of the Garda and the public it should be an arrest-able offense.

Imagine a robbery, a lone Garda arrived, shop or bank, who happened to be nearby, they have enough to be worrying about, the safety of the public, themselves, then this happy clapper arrives, camera in their face. They have a want and duty to protect the public, themselves but the distraction is such that they can’t really do either. The consequences could be serious.

That’s unacceptable. You’d be happy enough with that craic, would you be happy enough to have this individual in the cockpit of an aer lingus aircraft at the same craic with the pilots trying to land a plane ? Unlikely... so film away, out of his face, let him do his job, capture your film without harassing anybody... let him and his colleagues be of the ability to do their work without harassment.

Filming them, documenting their work in a situation ok, no issues. But behavior that is preventing them or distracting them from their work is pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Smegging hell

GT89 wrote: »
    It seems like members of AGS do not like being filmed. Why do they not like being filmed if they have nothing to hide it looks very bad on them that they make it visible that they hate it and assault and threathen to arrest members of the public for filming them during the course of their work.

Now I understand why they might not want to be filmed but they have absolutely no right to stop people filming in a public place and yet they continue to it. Do at least value their jobs or can they do what they like and not face represcussions. In almost every job if you tried to grab the phone off a member of the public you'd be instantly dismissed and rightly so but does this not apply to Gardai?
    https://twitter.com/AndyHeasman2/status/1314681821813186563?s=19

Heasman was at an anti-mask rally in Galway where members of the public were abused and coughed on by his fellow anti-mask protestors from Dublin, just so people know the full context of this video. https://www.galwaydaily.com/news/woman-coughs-at-teenagers-at-disgusting-anti-mask-protest-at-eyre-square/

Heasman was at an anti-mask rally in Galway where members of the public were abused and coughed on by his fellow anti-mask protestors from Dublin, just so people know the full context of this video. https://www.galwaydaily.com/news/woman-coughs-at-teenagers-at-disgusting-anti-mask-protest-at-eyre-square/

That woman is scum.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

The Gardai would be a scumbag if he done what your suggesting

He broke no laws the Gardaí can't just attack him

I'm not saying he wasn't a wanker but come on ffs

• Advertisement

Gardai can’t attack him, but...

“Any person who resists or wilfully obstructs a peace officer acting in the execution of his duty or a person assisting a peace officer in the execution of his duty, knowing that he is or being reckless as to whether he is, a peace officer acting in the execution of his duty, shall be guilty of an offence.”

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1994/act/2/section/19/enacted/en/html

He is willfully obstructing him. There can be little doubt of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭arccosh

the public order laws have enough ambiguity to shoehorn a charge sheet against what was shown in the original video.

They should have arrested him for obstruction.
    They let him away too lightly.
    I’d have clocked him.

I believe he was obstructing a Garda in the execution of his duty, at minimum.

He could have been arrested under the Criminal Justice (Public Order) Act, 1994.

I’ve linked to the statute book above.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

GT89 wrote: »
    A farm is private property a public street is not
    Actually, while a farm is private property, you cannot be considered to be trespassing unless it can be proven that you are committing a crime, or about to.
    The farmhouse, outbuildings, and the "curtilage" thereof are treated differently to the actual fields.

Strumms wrote: »
    I believe he was obstructing a Garda in the execution of his duty, at minimum.

He could have been arrested under the Criminal Justice (Public Order) Act, 1994.

I’ve linked to the statute book above.

There's argument for sections 8, 5 and 6 also from what is shown in the video

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Actually, while a farm is private property, you cannot be considered to be trespassing unless it can be proven that you are committing a crime, or about to.
    The farmhouse, outbuildings, and the "curtilage" thereof are treated differently to the actual fields.

**criminal trespass..... trespass is still a thing though

being there without permission without a legitimate reason is usually grounds enough for criminal tresspass

that's how people get charged for walking along train tracks etc... they might not be doing anything wrong, but being there, with no legitimate reason leaves it open to suspicion that your are there up to no good.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

The average person might have up to 3 official interactions with a Garda over a year. This guy actively seeks confrontation with them to forward his own agenda. An able bodied man who appears to be relying on disability benefit and is travelling across the country wasting Garda resources & engaging in petty protests. He’s a disgrace to the nation!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

ted1 wrote: »
    Because snippets don’t tell a full story.
    Generally people who film are gob****es.

Would you like if someone walked behind you filming you at work ?do you even work ?

100%, the recorder of that video is an idiot and a moron who needs to get a job.

I hate this modern fascination with filming people and then cutting it to show them in the worst light. Filming someone who does not want to be filmed is harassment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭rn

Regarding filming, gardai are private citizens. Video and photography in public domain should have permission of person being filmed. Social media is the public domain.

The other thing we have to remember is to fact check any video "evidence". We normally can't take the event at face value. It's worth peeling the onion and getting the background leading up to events videoed and what happens subsequently.

Is anyone a perfect role model of how public order can be maintained in all situations... Probably no. Are the guards largely on the side of good. Absolutely.

Advertisement