Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it possible to factory reset / wipe a laptop but keep the programs installed ?

Options
  • 10-10-2020 8:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭

Sorry if a stupid question,

Is it possible to factory reset a laptop (windows 8.1) but keep the programs I've installed

I don't mind about losing all files etc downloaded music, images etc

All I want is a fresh restart but keep the programs installed

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

You could just create a new profile on the pc and use that one?
    You could access all the old images on the old profile too, I'd do that first (easiest) and see whether that cures your woes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭wally1990

You could just create a new profile on the pc and use that one?
    You could access all the old images on the old profile too, I'd do that first (easiest) and see whether that cures your woes

Would that speed up in the laptop in general by just having a new profile ?

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

wally1990 wrote: »
    Would that speed up in the laptop in general by just having a new profile ?

Its a 30 sec job with no loss of the old profile, and how much it speeds it up would depend on what crap the original profile had running in the background.

Its easy, do it and see, you'll lose nothing

https://www.webucator.com/how-to/how-create-second-user-account-windows-10.cfm

Right-click the Windows Start menu button.
    Select Control Panel .
    Select User Accounts .
    Select Manage another account .
    Select Add a new user in PC settings .
    Use the Accounts dialog box to configure a new account.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,797 ✭✭✭DopeTech

You could start by just going to control panel->Programs and features and uninstalling all the apps you don't want/need, then run ccleaner or Malwarebytes to do a little more clean. Turn on Storage sense also to keep things from building up.

Ideally though a fresh install and reinstall of only the apps you want/need would be best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

There is no storage sense on win 8

What is slow?
    What is computer make/model, specs?
    Is it running on HDD or SSD?
    Was it ever cleaned - could be "cotton" buildup over years not allow proper cooling and CPU is throttled.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,797 ✭✭✭DopeTech

wally1990 wrote: »
    Sorry if a stupid question,

Is it possible to factory reset a laptop (windows 8.1) but keep the programs I've installed

I don't mind about losing all files etc downloaded music, images etc

All I want is a fresh restart but keep the programs installed
    What apps do you want to keep? Have you got the original install media/keys etc to reinstall them?

Advertisement