Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dry lining a new build costs

Options
  • 10-10-2020 8:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi all,

Myself and my husband are doing a self build. We have gone the direct to labour route, however we have done alot of the build ourselves so far. It was a subdivision of an existing property and we added a side extension on to the existing part of the original house. We completely gutted it and so far, the groundwork right up to the roof is now done, most recently the windows went in and the guttering went on as well.

Because we had our hands tied with council stipulations and possibly some poor advice too, we are now ready to dry line the house. Would have preferred to externally insulate of course but here we are.

We only have to meet 2011 Part L regs because of when we received planning and started the build (very slow when you do it yourself!)

I'm here to ask for advice on dry lining. What's the best insulation to go with? How thick to meet regs? Thinking of installing ourselves, advisable or not?? Rough idea of costs involved? Whats the story with battoning, cross battoning, timber, steel frame?

The house is built with cavity blocks. We have wet mixed the walls of the entire inside of the house for airtightness and we will get an airtightness professional in before insulating.

Thanks for reading. Total newbie to this so please go easy on me! I do have an idea of all of the above but would love extra input!

We couldn't afford to go at the build with a contractor but to be honest it has been quite satisfying so far!

Edited to add that the house is 95 sqm,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Biker1

The assessor that done the provisional BER will be able to let you know the type and depth of insulation required to meet the reg's.
    If you have not engaged a BER assessor up to this point then you should do so immediately as the house may fail compliance when finished.
    Where are you located?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 FA101

Biker1 wrote: »
    The assessor that done the provisional BER will be able to let you know the type and depth of insulation required to meet the reg's.
    If you have not engaged a BER assessor up to this point then you should do so immediately as the house may fail compliance when finished.
    Where are you located?

Thanks for the tip. My husband was given the number of an assessor last week, so we will make sure to get him in before going further!

Advertisement