Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some questions

Options
  • 10-10-2020 9:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭

Hi all. Wondering if I could pick your brains.

I'm getting a garden room installed which I would like to hook up to my existing HKC 1070 panel in the house and have some questions around that if anybody can answer would be great.

How long can zone wiring be? Panel would be about 40m from the room alarm.

Can cable be run though ducting in the ground outdoors or could that cause issues?

Would be running 4 of them out or perhaps using a couple of mutlicore shielded belden or Cat 5e cables from panel to the room and then split the cores up in the room and use alarm cable from there to each zone.

Appreciate any help.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

.G. wrote: »
    Hi all. Wondering if I could pick your brains.

I'm getting a garden room installed which I would like to hook up to my existing HKC 1070 panel in the house and have some questions around that if anybody can answer would be great.

How long can zone wiring be? Panel would be about 40m from the room alarm.

Can cable be run though ducting in the ground outdoors or could that cause issues?

Would be running 4 of them out or perhaps using a couple of mutlicore shielded belden or Cat 5e cables from panel to the room and then split the cores up in the room and use alarm cable from there to each zone.

Appreciate any help.

Thanks.

There are no issues with a cable distance of 40 meters, also no issues with running cables through ducts, just ensure that the cables are duct grade.

I am wondering about a wireless alternative, the operating range of HKC wireless equipment is very good but that would need to be confirmed on your own site.

Are you getting a professional company to fit the actual equipment ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

I'm an electrician so planning on doing it myself. I worked for an alarm company a long time ago so have some experience at doing it but its been a while hence the questions! Would rather go wired than the RF sensors but its an option I can check out if needs be.

Thanks.

I'm an electrician so planning on doing it myself. I worked for an alarm company a long time ago so have some experience at doing it but its been a while hence the questions! Would rather go wired than the RF sensors but its an option I can check out if needs be.

Thanks.

Ah well you don't need me to tell you about duct rate cable so ;)

I was just throwing out the wireless option if it made life easier for you.
    The great thing about the panel you have is it ticks all boxes allowing you to do literally anything with your new build.
    External Cat 5 for signals and i would recommend fitting a PSU with battery back up out in the shed, the option is always there to split the system and have the alarm in the house and shed operating independently to one another.
    As in you could have the alarm in the house disarmed but the shed on etc.

kub wrote: »
    Ah well you don't need me to tell you about duct rate cable so ;)

I was just throwing out the wireless option if it made life easier for you.
    The great thing about the panel you have is it ticks all boxes allowing you to do literally anything with your new build.
    External Cat 5 for signals and i would recommend fitting a PSU with battery back up out in the shed, the option is always there to split the system and have the alarm in the house and shed operating independently to one another.
    As in you could have the alarm in the house disarmed but the shed on etc.

An excellent suggestion and one I didn't consider really, would be sensible to be able to have each of them independent for arming purposes.

I'm planning on using the Konnected kits to get my current system online for remote arming and monitoring purposes without using Hkc securewatch service so it'd seem like a waste of money if I bought a separate panel for the shed which I'd then have to do the same with but I hadn't considered keeping them independent could be wise in certain circumstances.

I vaguely remember from my days walking around business premises testing alarm systems that it was possible to have some parts of a building armed while others weren't but can't remember the equipment required to achieve this. Is it possible to do on a normal domestic alarm like the 1070?

An excellent suggestion and one I didn't consider really, would be sensible to be able to have each of them independent for arming purposes.

I'm planning on using the Konnected kits to get my current system online for remote arming and monitoring purposes without using Hkc securewatch service so it'd seem like a waste of money if I bought a separate panel for the shed which I'd then have to do the same with but I hadn't considered keeping them independent could be wise in certain circumstances.

I vaguely remember from my days walking around business premises testing alarm systems that it was possible to have some parts of a building armed while others weren't but can't remember the equipment required to achieve this. Is it possible to do on a normal domestic alarm like the 1070?

Tell me more about these Konnected kits please, I have never come across them.

Yes your HKC will indeed split, 8 ways if you ever need that many ;)

https://www.hkcsecurity.com/en-IE/products/control-panels--packs/sw-10270---securewave-10270/

• Advertisement

Thank you.

I know why I have not come across it now, 2 issues are jumping out at me, firstly it cannot be capable of being compatible with Inertia shock sensors and secondly a system with that on it cannot comply with EN50131.

kub wrote: »
    Thank you.

I know why I have not come across it now, 2 issues are jumping out at me, firstly it cannot be capable of being compatible with Inertia shock sensors and secondly a system with that on it cannot comply with EN50131.

I'll bow to your knowledge on that one! I have quite a few inertia sensors here so that would be disappointing. I'll have to dig a little deeper for info.

I want to get my system online abut HKCs options seem poor and a bit of a rip off for what they do.

I'll bow to your knowledge on that one! I have quite a few inertia sensors here so that would be disappointing. I'll have to dig a little deeper for info.

I want to get my system online abut HKCs options seem poor and a bit of a rip off for what they do.

I have actually put queries up on that thread, but as i feel that the lads there are DIY folk, i doubt they will know what i mean.
    Just to expand on inertia shock sensors, we are one of the very few countries that still use them, they are not used in the states or in the UK any longer.

I have the HKC system here myself and it ticks all the boxes especially in the domestic sphere for my own domestic customers, i have a few hundred customers on the securecomm system and i have yet to find one cancelled.

I'm sure its fine but in this day an age with everything from fridges and light switches able to connect to the home wifi and be switched from afar it seems needlessly restrictive, not mention them charging for what seems a very old app and system attached to it.

I suppose we also have to balance that with the fact its a security system so it needs, by its very essence to be secure, which isn't always the way with Internet of Things!

I just want a hassle free way of knowing if my alarm is on or not and more importantly if its been triggered so that I can switch to my cctv system and see whats up, which itself was easily put online for free. When I started looking into getting the HKC online I thought they're be a box I could buy to attach to it, connect it to my home wifi or ethernet like I did with my cctv and be done

• Advertisement

There are two systems for Konnected. One replaces your alarm system and the other interfaces with it so your alarm stays the same but the Konnected unit can see what's going on with it and relay that to you via the internet. Thats all I'm looking to do. And yes, without power it has no way of doing so, the unit will be run by the battery back up in the alarm but without the internet it can't communicate.

Why have other markets moved away from inertia?

Advertisement