Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Failed SSD drive after interrupted high Sierra update.

Options
  • 10-10-2020 9:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭

Exactly this happened. Didn't update because there was no room on the hard drive.

macbook pro 2012.

Worked for a couple of days after attempted update and then was faced with grey question mark on boot up.

Tried the option r and then the alt strategy. Internet recovery never started, just showed a pic of the globe without a progress bar and then went back to log onto wifi screen. (which I already had done).

Tried disc utility function on another Mac using the external card reader option. Drive does not show up.

Is this Ssd fried?
    Can the data be recovered?

Thanks for attention.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

Are you sure it's an SSD?
    I have a 2013 MBP, and it came with a 2.5in HDD. I replaced it with a SATA SSD myself.

Also, what do you mean by "another Mac using the external card reader option"?

Can you post details about this SSD? Maybe a picture?

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭eddie73

It is a sandisk stat 6g/s sdssda 480G drive. I took it out of the MacBook and linked it via drive reader to another iMac to see under disc utility if it showed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

eddie73 wrote: »
    I took it out of the MacBook and linked it via drive reader to another iMac to see under disc utility if it showed up.

And nothing? If so doesn't look good!

eddie73 wrote: »
    [...] linked it via drive reader to another iMac to see under disc utility if it showed up.

Is this drive reader a SATA-to-USB cable, or an external enclosure?

The SATA SSD should appear in Disk Utility with either of those. If it doesn't, it might be cooked.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭eddie73

JoyPad wrote: »
    Is this drive reader a SATA-to-USB cable, or an external enclosure?

The SATA SSD should appear in Disk Utility with either of those. If it doesn't, it might be cooked.

Tried with the data to usb cable. Doesn't register on disc utility.
    Does "might be cooked" offer any hope?

• Advertisement

Sorry, but no.

If you do have access to another computer, you might try a firmware update, if such thing exists for your model. But I don't know if you can do that if the drive is not detected at all.

Advertisement