Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

renting short term?

Options
  • 10-10-2020 10:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hello, we are looking to buy a home in Ireland once our sale is completed in the uk. We were going to move in with relatives and search from there, but it looks like this will not be possible due to covid. It seems pointless to rent in the uk and travel over to search, especially as there is a 14 day quarantine.
    We are thinking now of renting short term in ireland but we do have cats which we are bringing along (very clean housetrained ones!) We are not taking anything else with us, no furniture etc. So... can you rent with pets in Ireland? We won't part with them and are happy to pay a larger deposit in case they do damage the property. Where should we look and what should we expect? Thanks.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,316 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

www.daft.ie
    AirBnB

Short terms were generally unheard of but with COVID, a lot of the Airbnb can be got short term now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

What part of Ireland are you looking to move to ?? What sort of property do you need how many bedrooms ??

• Registered Users Posts: 12 spamchops

We are just two adults, me and my partner Miles. We have four cats. I'm not sure how long it will take to buy a house, but we are cash buyers. We are looking for a rural home pretty much anywhere south of Dublin. We have a smallholding in the uk, now sold, so want some land too. We don't want to be near anything really, we've had some really horrible neighbours and now want to be as far away from other people as possible. I think rental wise, two beds, any type of property, don't mind scruffy or very rural.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

Have you looked on myhome.ie to see if anything on that is of interest to you. I know you have said rural and south of Dublin but do you have a couple of counties in mind that you may have preference for? How are away from Dublin do you want to be?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Hoping you find a safe haven here. I have six cats so always good to hear from likeminded folk. But I am islanded in West Mayo and that is way out for you.

• Advertisement

We don't need to be anywhere near Dublin, we haven't come to work, at least not in Dublin. We actually have six cats but I'm not sure that you can bring that many over, although if we can, we will. We have seen homes we like in Tipperary, Roscommon, Cork and Kerry (the counties) but we want to avoid windy exposed areas, so west coast is out really.
    When I said south of Dublin, it was more draw a line from Dublin to Galway airport and anywhere below that, lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

I'd look at waterford and wexford best weather and still rural.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

spamchops wrote: »
    We don't need to be anywhere near Dublin, we haven't come to work, at least not in Dublin. We actually have six cats but I'm not sure that you can bring that many over, although if we can, we will. We have seen homes we like in Tipperary, Roscommon, Cork and Kerry (the counties) but we want to avoid windy exposed areas, so west coast is out really.
    When I said south of Dublin, it was more draw a line from Dublin to Galway airport and anywhere below that, lol.

If you looking at somewhere really rural and not exposed - Roscommon, Longford & Leitrim are all landlocked and all roughly 1.5 hours drive from Dublin

There are lots of really small rural villages in each of those counties where you could get a house quiet cheap. Are you looking for something ready to be moved into and livable or would you like a project where the house needs some work ( still livable) but would just need some work to do it up?>

We have seen a couple of places in Roscommon, it looks nice there and good value. We need to be able to live in it, but strangely almost everything we look at needs work, or is decorated in a peculiar (to us) fashion. The biggest issue is peace and quiet, we have a rural property here, with 3.5 acres, but the barking, screaming children and homicidal neighbour two doors down have put us right off homo sapiens for now.
    we like this one, it needs rewiring and replumbing and central heating, but no one nearby, and beautiful. Bit more work than just the three acres though... :-)

https://www.daft.ie/roscommon/houses-for-sale/ballaghaderreen/drumacoo-ballaghaderreen-roscommon-2680925/

We have seen a couple of places in Roscommon, it looks nice there and good value. We need to be able to live in it, but strangely almost everything we look at needs work, or is decorated in a peculiar (to us) fashion. The biggest issue is peace and quiet, we have a rural property here, with 3.5 acres, but the barking, screaming children and homicidal neighbour two doors down have put us right off homo sapiens for now.
    we like this one, it needs rewiring and replumbing and central heating, but no one nearby, and beautiful. Bit more work than just the three acres though... :-)

https://www.daft.ie/roscommon/houses-for-sale/ballaghaderreen/drumacoo-ballaghaderreen-roscommon-2680925/

That is lovely! You have viewed? Oh yes you know what work is needed. Yes re neighbours, Years ago I specified, " No neighbours" and now am in splendid isolation out here. Surrounded by the Atlantic and yes, windy. I lived near her when I came to Ireland nearly 20 years ago.

I had three cats then; one flew over with me and the other two came with the van. Yours will love it out there.

• Advertisement

We are just two adults, me and my partner Miles. We have four cats. I'm not sure how long it will take to buy a house, but we are cash buyers. We are looking for a rural home pretty much anywhere south of Dublin. We have a smallholding in the uk, now sold, so want some land too. We don't want to be near anything really, we've had some really horrible neighbours and now want to be as far away from other people as possible. I think rental wise, two beds, any type of property, don't mind scruffy or very rural.

For rentals, see daft.ie and rent.ie

Advertisement