Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chain bash guard?

Options
  • 10-10-2020 12:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭

Would you bother? I scuffed mine on the new bike awhile back heading down 'boneshaker' at Ticknock, a very rocky, technical track for those unfamiliar with it. It got me thinking on the pros and cons of a bash guard (extra weight etc). Anyone think they're a good idea?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Tony04

Personally no. I think the main reason one would use it is to stop a chain drop, which makes sense if yiur racing enduro/downhill. Although a good narrow wide ring should prevent this, ive only dropped a chain once on a narrow wide rig
    If you find your chainring isnt clearing rocks etc, it might be worth getting one that guards the bottom, from damage. Side plates are heavier and probably protect the bike less.
    Only other disadvantage is it makes it a little more difficult to clean the chain.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Wailin

Cheers Tony. I'm only looking to protect the underneath as it would be an expensive repair if I damaged the crankset. Something like this i was thinking of:

http://absoluteblack.cc/oval-bashguide-iscg05/

Thats the design i was talking about, and that price is the reason i dont have one

cranks are rocksolid, in fact i would say they are the longest lasting part on a bike, i run 20 year old cranks on a cheap build i use regularly the only time ive seen them fail is manufacturing/installation error. Scratched up cranks are to be expected with mtb. If you want you can get rubber bungs to protect the bottom of them and heli tape for the rest

I mean for the cost of that you could afford to replace the chain ring twice, and a chain ring shouldnt snap because you failed to clear an obstacle theyre solid enough components aswell.

Only other advantage of what you were looking at is you have a chain drop protector, not needed with narrow wide ring and clutch derailleur although will protect frame from scratches and if you fail to clear an obstacle its better have something smooth grind along than chain and chainring snag.

Actually that seems to only protect from chain drop

• Registered Users Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Wailin

Spot on Tony, you've convinced me otherwise!

• Advertisement
Advertisement