Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland's growing drug problem

Options
  • 10-10-2020 1:02pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

cocaine use in the last decade has increased significantly among Irish people, in particularly the middle class. It's become so common that it's found in pubs. Prescription drug deaths (benzos) have also become a problem as well.

Anecdotally, I don't know of any one in my social circle who doesn't regularly take drugs besides alcohol once/twice a week.

Do you think this should be the new normal or is it problematic? Is it time we went down the route of decriminalisation like Switzerland, the Netherlands, Portugal?

If so, we should start with weed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Cocaine use is a byproduct of the economy doing well, same as 2005-8 , compounded with the corona virus popularising house parties again , itll go away again when we hit recession.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭corminators

I'd imagine since EnchroChat was compromised a lot of the traffickers are getting shut down and it may take years for import levels to recover.

Some serious arrests lately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭AlphaDelta1

The people who take coke are as bad as the dealers imo. In other worlds utter scum.

I always find it hilarious they think they are cool and funny when in fact they've just shoved something up their nose that could have spent a day up some poor drug mauls anal passage.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

I'd imagine since EnchroChat was compromised a lot of the traffickers are getting shut down and it may take years for import levels to recover.

Some serious arrests lately.

I thought criminals communicated using TOR? I know it was said to be compromised by the NSA in 2014 but a lot of drug users/dealers still make transactions on the Deep Web using TOR.

And to be honest, I think that customs officers are powerless to stop drug imports. How many agents are there at airports, seaports, mail centres vs the amount of shipments coming into Ireland from all over the world every day. I'd say they only catch 10% of drug shipments.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Funny how the woke left love to use the drugs that cause so much misery to poor people in developing countries.

Look at any documentaries on how the poorest people on the planet are sentenced to 20 years in Peruvian jails to satisfy the degenerate drug users in enlightened Europe .

• Advertisement

Pkiernan wrote: »
    Funny how the woke left love to use the drugs that cause so much misery to poor people in developing countries.

Look at any documentaries on how the poorest people on the planet are sentenced to 20 years in Peruvian jails to satisfy the degenerate drug users in enlightened Europe .

If it weren't drugs, it would be something else. Drugs aren't the issue, it's people unfortunate enough to be born into crappy countries were corporations exploit them for their labor in return for resources.

Have you ever heard of what King Leopold did to Africans who didn't collect rubber fast enough? Does that mean people who use rubber products are responsible for misery?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭lucalux

Cocaine is a 'woke-left' problem? Since when?

If it weren't drugs, it would be something else. Drugs aren't the issue, it's people unfortunate enough to be born into crappy countries were corporations exploit them for their labor in return for resources.

Have you ever heard of what King Leopold did to Africans who didn't collect rubber fast enough? Does that mean people who use rubber products are responsible for misery?

Those who create the demand are responsible for the misery.

lucalux wrote: »
    Cocaine is a 'woke-left' problem? Since when?

Wow...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Drugs, alcohol, anti depressants, organised religion - all the same really - a way to cope with the utter futility of life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,222 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Cocaine is the least fun of all the common recreational drugs and also the most expensive. Never understood the attraction.

You'll do well to find a lefty using cocaine.

Ketamine far more popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭lucalux

Wow...

'Wow' you don't have any evidence to back up what you are saying?

I echo the sentiment.

https://twitter.com/dijoni/status/1312886930527330306

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Never used it and never will. I don’t know anyone who openly admits to using it and wouldn’t be friends with someone who was a habitual user.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

You may be without knowing it

You may be without knowing it

Exactly, the stigma prevents people from revealing.

It's like people who think there's a certain look of a pedophile and they're sure anyone in their social circle isn't one.

They probably do but the social unacceptability of it means the person would never share it.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,600 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

eviltwin wrote: »
    Never used it and never will. I don’t know anyone who openly admits to using it and wouldn’t be friends with someone who was a habitual user.

It all depends on the social circle you mix in my experience.

It all depends on the social circle you mix in my experience.

Maybe it's just me but I'm an immigrant and it seems very rare for Africans and Muslim immigrants to use drugs. It seems that Europeans/North Americans and South Americans would be the most likely to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,156 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Does Ireland have a problem growing drugs. Is it the weather

• Advertisement

Does Ireland have a problem growing drugs. Is it the weather

Yes. Well when it comes to thinks like cannabis, we either don't have the heat or enough UV light. Many drug precursors like saffrole (used to make ecstasy), coca plant (used to make cocaine), opium poppy (used to make heroin), and ephedra (used to make methaphetamine) can't grow in these latitudes.

But at least we were lucky to be born/live in a developed country where we even the most crappy minimum wage job can earn you enough to buy a large quantity of drugs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

If the population was happy they wouldnt need drugs but the way this this **** storm of a society has manifested people need that release to keep going.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

Ah cocaine, the drug of choice for people with lots of self obsession but zero self esteem since, well cocaine was discovered.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭coolbeans

Funny how the woke left love to use the drugs...

Any evidence for this? The only fella who did coke in my presence was a Sun reading builder who was far from woke but loved his coke. Family man too. Your binary thinking is flawed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

I know lads destroyed by coke, partying from when they finish work on a Friday non stop till Sun evening and repeat every weekend

I also know more lads than above who on "special occasions" stags etc.. Would take cocaine

I know others who would take it occasionally from Gardaí, civil servants, teachers

You can get a bag of coke in Dundalk to your door quicker than a taxi

It's like any stimulant, some people can handle it others can't

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

long term ecstasy users develop this horribly gaunt insect like appearance

LoL

Advertisement