Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent up 62% since 2010

Options
  • 10-10-2020 1:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭

Minding her everyone’s cup of tea but David McWilliams article in today’s IT lays out the facts .

Irish rents have gone up 62.4% since since 2010 whilst wages have gone up 20%. So as each year goes by people have less and less money left after paying their rent . How can wage increases or inflation not include such a big a factor as the percentage increases in rent when awarding wage increases or annual inflation figures .Many people with less disposable income leads to other business having less customers and closing down like many pubs etc ..... the only ones winning are landlords??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭AlanG

In many and possibly the majority of places rents have gone down in real terms since 2007. Very selective starting date. Lots of landlords still in negative equity since 2005-2008.
    Also average asking rents are not average rents, the majority of people are renting far below those rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭ErnestBorgnine

AlanG wrote: »
    In many and possibly the majority of places rents have gone down in real terms since 2007. Very selective starting date. Lots of landlords still in negative equity since 2005-2008.
    Also average asking rents are not average rents, the majority of people are renting far below those rates.

Bollocks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Do you think people renting are haggling for cheaper rates?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,222 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

The housing and accommodation market in this country is totally dysfunctional.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Supply and Demand. A serious undersupply and high demand.

Anyway, good riddance to some of the greed filled landlords out there. The pendulum has swung sharply since March. Give it time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

LuasSimon wrote: »
    Minding her everyone’s cup of tea but David McWilliams article in today’s IT lays out the facts .

Irish rents have gone up 62.4% since since 2010 whilst wages have gone up 20%. So as each year goes by people have less and less money left after paying their rent . How can wage increases or inflation not include such a big a factor as the percentage increases in rent when awarding wage increases or annual inflation figures .Many people with less disposable income leads to other business having less customers and closing down like many pubs etc ..... the only ones winning are landlords??

The glib answer to that is become LL if you think it's a road paved with gold.

Another approach is to move to where the ratio of living costs to wages is better. Because that's really the issue.

It's the same with jobs. If a job doesn't pay enough you should go do something else.

I know none of the simple or often possible. But that's the basics of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Even if we ignore the impact on quality of life, the ability to save for old age etc, the knock on effects of such obscene rental rates are huge. Why do we have so many people buying cars on pcp - something that should be a last resort akin to loan sharks.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40061690.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

20% growth in wages over past 10 years is only 2% a year wage growth v 6 % average growth in rent .
    Unless you’ve a good job you’d be as well off on the dole and let the council pay the rent !
    The amount of jobs that have become minimum wage or close to it has helped the race to the bottom .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,222 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

beauf wrote: »
    The glib answer to that is become LL if you think it's a road paved with gold.

Another approach is to move to where the ratio of living costs to wages is better. Because that's really the issue.

It's the same with jobs. If a job doesn't pay enough you should go do something else.

I know none of the simple or often possible. But that's the basics of it.

Its as much of a nightmare being a landlord as it is a tenant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

could be one of those reviews for a decade type of thing, that's all.
    would be interested what are the views on employee productivity on this decade instead, would that explain why only the 20% increase overall - and how would the 20% compare with other markets.
    regards the housing setup - agree with beauf's post.

• Advertisement

Even if we ignore the impact on quality of life, the ability to save for old age etc, the knock on effects of such obscene rental rates are huge. Why do we have so many people buying cars on pcp - something that should be a last resort akin to loan sharks.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40061690.html

Other countries have decided to do thinks to improve quality of life. I was interested to see the focus Japan has on getting kids to travel to school on their own from an earlier age as it allows society to be more efficient. It's a holistic approach to society. Not that it's perfect there or anything.

If you remove the necessity of people to work in Dublin, or the other cities you solve a lot of problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

MadYaker wrote: »
    The housing and accommodation market in this country is totally dysfunctional.

What do you expect when a good chunk of the property are in the Dail [or other parts of irish Govt] or connected to someone in Govt.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭P2C

I was getting €750 for a 3 bed in Sligo in 2007. Today I am getting €700. Mind you I have had the same tennant for ten years had 2 rents review in that time. The last rent review fell in the pandemic and I had to put the breaks. That review still doesn’t go over €750. So I can assure you the rents have not gone up as much as David is stating

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

Hopefully the aftershock of the pandemic will be a real hard lesson for Ireland's greedy landlord class. I've no time for anyone's hard luck "accidental" landlord or "negative equity" stories either. That lot are the greediest baxtards of all, expecting some poor shmuck to cover the mortgage on their ****ty investment and a little top up to boot all the while moaning about paying taxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

LuasSimon wrote: »

Imagine how much rents would be if we had less landlords.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Gervais08

P2C wrote: »
    I was getting €750 for a 3 bed in Sligo in 2007. Today I am getting €700. Mind you I have had the same tennant for ten years had 2 rents review in that time. The last rent review fell in the pandemic and I had to put the breaks. That review still doesn’t go over €750. So I can assure you the rents have not gone up as much as David is stating

I’m in the Midlands and mine was 750 for a decade and now 780.

I don’t believe that figure for a second, it’s not nationwide - it’s a chunk of Dublin at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,642 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I'd say those stats really mean that Dublin rents have risen by more than 62%, often significantly more, while it is less, often significantly less, in most other parts of the country.

Among other factors, Dublin rents are an inevitable outcome of failing to come up with any coherent strategy for developing other potential locations for large companies elsewhere in the country.

Mr. Karate wrote: »
    What do you expect when a good chunk of the property are in the Dail [or other parts of irish Govt] or connected to someone in Govt.

How landlords are there in Ireland. How many are in the govt?

Why are the rules and laws so anti landlord and pro tenant, if they are manipulating it to suit themselves.

I'm just curious have you ever looked up the numbers?

Gervais08 wrote: »
    I’m in the Midlands and mine was 750 for a decade and now 780.

I don’t believe that figure for a second, it’s not nationwide - it’s a chunk of Dublin at best.

It's probably distorted. It would be more useful to see a breakdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,090 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

LuasSimon wrote:

What he fails to explain is that rent between 2007 & 2010 had fallen far more than wages in the same period.

He deliberately picked dates to try prove his opinion is correct. Had he picked 2007 or 2008 his whole idea falls flat on its face.

Statics are a wonderful thing when used correctly but they can be dangerous when you are selective on what statics you use.

He can be a right idiot at times

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭coolbeans

Hopefully the aftershock of the pandemic will be a real hard lesson for Ireland's greedy landlord class. I've no time for anyone's hard luck "accidental" landlord or "negative equity" stories either. That lot are the greediest baxtards of all, expecting some poor shmuck to cover the mortgage on their ****ty investment and a little top up to boot all the while moaning about paying taxes.

So do you hâte all landlords or just the accidental types described above?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

beauf wrote: »
    How landlords are there in Ireland. How many are in the govt?

Why are the rules and laws so anti landlord and pro tenant, if they are manipulating it to suit themselves.

I'm just curious have you ever looked up the numbers?

I've always wondered how many properties are owned by TDs, in total and as an average. I suspect it's not more than two each at most, probably more like one. After tax I exepct the average TD is making next to fúck all in comparison to the massive salary and benefits. I'd expect they'd make more, in cash flow terms, by fidling mileage.

Some of the % increase will likely be down to this optimistic rental in Hacketstown, Carlow.

https://www.daft.ie/carlow/apartments-for-rent/hacketstown/main-street-hacketstown-carlow-2083526/

I've always wondered how many properties are owned by TDs, in total and as an average. I suspect it's not more than two each at most, probably more like one. After tax I exepct the average TD is making next to fúck all in comparison to the massive salary and benefits. I'd expect they'd make more, in cash flow terms, by fidling mileage.

I've no idea and it's hard to find exact stats on any of that. Which is curious in itself. SF owns a lot of properties apparently.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/sinn-f%C3%A9in-is-the-richest-political-party-in-ireland-1.4193124

I've always thought the 'politicians letting rents go up as they own loads of properties' argument is hugely exaggerated. I mean, the 2016 Census reported 497,000 households renting.

Do we really think that politicians own any more than a tiny tiny percentage of that.

Maybe it's attractive to paint them as conniving operators with skin in the game, but really they are just useless at combating rising rents.

osarusan wrote: »
    Some of the % increase will likely be down to this optimistic rental in Hacketstown, Carlow.

https://www.daft.ie/carlow/apartments-for-rent/hacketstown/main-street-hacketstown-carlow-2083526/

6 bed in fairness

I've always thought the 'politicians letting rents go up as they own loads of properties' argument is hugely exaggerated. I mean, the 2016 Census reported 497,000 households renting.

Do we really think that politicians own any more than a tiny tiny percentage of that.

Maybe it's attractive to paint them as conniving operators with skin in the game, but really they are just useless at combating rising rents.

Considering the constant (deserved) flak they take for the dysfunctional rental market, it would be a false economy for the sake of a few shekels

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭KaneToad

I don't think TDs have massive salaries. I think the salary should be higher. It might attract a better quality of public representative.

Some of our best TDs are the ones who could earn more if they went into the private sector - not the lobbying sector. Paschal Donohoe, Varadkar (not a likely personality but a good TD), Michael Mc Grath...

Some of the worst TDs are those that use the job to supplement the family business...Healy Rae, Cowan, Lowry

• Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

+1 it's hugely exaggerated.

The pols follow the voters and there's a very large chunk of the voting public own their own houses and don't give two damns about rental costs.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

coolbeans wrote: »
    So do you hâte all landlords or just the accidental types described above?

Just the amateur greedy Irish ones tbh. There's plenty (albeit very few on this soggy dump) that see it for what is: a long term investment in a large asset that can be cost offset by renting it out, rather than a quick buck or something that somebody else must cover all the cost for in entirety.

Advertisement