Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Midway Tron

• 10-10-2020 1:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 902 ✭✭✭

ITEM: Midway Tron Arcade Machine Project
    POST\COLLECTION: [Collection Only\Delivery\Meetup]
    PRICE: [Trade]
    PAYMENT METHODS: [N/A]

119701974-2765706047083006-6474637447520258127-n.jpg

I bought a Midway Tron a while back and have been pondering over what to do with it. It was bought as a project and cost quite a bit getting it and shipping it from the US. I'm currently in the middle of fully repairing the base, and that should be done shortly (it involved remaking a base for it).

I guess the reason I've listed this is I'm not actually a huge fan of the game itself, I more so like it for the look of it and I know it's a grail cab for a lot of people. It's also going to need a lot of work and will cost somewhere between 400-1k to restore depending on how far you want to go with it, along with time that I don't really have much of lately.

It's almost fully complete, just missing it's 19" CRT (if anyone has a few for sale let me know) along with back doors (which are on the way, will be traded with it). It has it's original PCB (looks in good shape but genuinely untested), power supply, wiring hardness, shroud and other bits and pieces that are needed.

I'm not looking for money really, more so looking for a trade for 80's or 90's arcade machines (buy may be open to other games more recent and pins). Value wise I know the mad money Tron's go for these days, but I won't be looking for something anywhere near full value as I know this is worth much less in it's current state.

It's not something that comes up too much so if there's no interest, I'll just restore it myself gradually in my spare time over the next few months. My DM's are open for a chat (and if/when you want to make an official offer for it just make sure to follow the rules and do so below the post).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭BGOllie

oh that would be a nice project but I mostly have bits on my side. let me see.

I've my converted 1942 cab I was thinking of shifting at some point . All working. Original board
    I've another spare 1942 board for it and a spare 14inch crt for it too if that's any good .
    It's not original. 1942 was a conversion kit so it's converted from one of those poker cabs.

https://scontent.fdub4-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/56462436_10157177513553276_7238665806832205824_o.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_sid=84a396&_nc_ohc=PnIbteWYrE8AX-V_fAF&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub4-1.fna&oh=30122e107684666b3af6dba7499b9040&oe=5FA5497A

I also have one of those 29inch monitor that I prob won't use and I should have another spare chassis for it too.
    Should have some pcb for trade too but I'd have to look at what's in the box now ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 902 ✭✭✭dav09

BGOllie wrote: »
    oh that would be a nice project but I mostly have bits on my side. let me see.

I've my converted 1942 cab I was thinking of shifting at some point . All working. Original board
    I've another spare 1942 board for it and a spare 14inch crt for it too if that's any good .
    It's not original. 1942 was a conversion kit so it's converted from one of those poker cabs.

https://scontent.fdub4-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/56462436_10157177513553276_7238665806832205824_o.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_sid=84a396&_nc_ohc=PnIbteWYrE8AX-V_fAF&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub4-1.fna&oh=30122e107684666b3af6dba7499b9040&oe=5FA5497A

I also have one of those 29inch monitor that I prob won't use and I should have another spare chassis for it too.
    Should have some pcb for trade too but I'd have to look at what's in the box now ...

Cheers Ollie, it's a nice cab and a good job done on it but I suppose I'd be swapping a non working game I'm not a fan of for a working game I'm not a fan of haha. In all honesty, Shmups and figthing games (besides maybe Virtua Fighter 5 or MKII) aren't really my thing, mostly a fan of Atari, Sega, Nintendo, Namco stuff from the 80s.

I might consdier something similar though with a few PCBs or something, in all honestly though I've probably over-paid for it so maybe it's best for me to just restore it as it's probably the only way I'll get that money/value back unless I was offered something else I really liked, I'm just seeing what's out there and I know some people really like Trons.

That’s a great project for someone right there, Dream cab for me but not in a position at the moment to offer anything for it, whoever does get it please post a full resto log

That’s a great project for someone right there, Dream cab for me but not in a position at the moment to offer anything for it, whoever does get it please post a full resto log

From a few conversations it looks like I'll probably just hang onto it as nothing really of interest to me has come up. It was sold to me without knowing a lot of the issues with it so I've probably overpaid for it to be honest. I've already done part resotration of it on it's base and have photo documented it, it looks like I might have a bit more time now with a level 5 lockdown probably coming so I'll fully video document it unless something comes up and I trade it in the meantime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭geotrig

dav09 wrote: »

in all honestly though I've probably over-paid for it so maybe it's best for me to just restore it as it's probably the only way I'll get that money/value back .
    Pity :( i'd like to play a tron again but like you said above owning one isnt for me ! not in my grail list ,although a cool as **** looking cab !
    We've all being there unfortunately and sometimes a project just seem like a pain (my last ones taking me way too long to complete 1) ,if you do keep it do a restore thread of some sort ,the same goes to anyone that takes it.

• Advertisement

geotrig wrote: »
    Pity :( i'd like to play a tron again but like you said above owning one isnt for me ! not in my grail list ,although a cool as **** looking cab !
    We've all being there unfortunately and sometimes a project just seem like a pain (my last ones taking me way too long to complete 1) ,if you do keep it do a restore thread of some sort ,the same goes to anyone that takes it.

Yeah they're a beautiful cab (which is the reason I bought it), I just said I'd see if anyone else wanted it as I know it's a grail cab to many and it's more work than what I was really prepared to do if someone else wanted it.

I will definitly do a seperate restore thread or make some videos for it anyway as it'll be quite a big job.

Mods feel free to close this thread, going to hang onto it and restore it myself thanks. I will do a full restoration log with it in a seperate thread as there seems to be a lot of interest around that, thanks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement