Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Budget 2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Very few of these cars on those rates here anyway so it was only lip service or pandering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,863 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

top rate only gone up by 50 quid, I thought they'd be doubling it by the way they were talking about it

They couldnt do it, would annihilate values, imagine 2350 to 4700, not a chance, even in this bedgrudging kip !

So they thi k giving the most unsustainable form of transport, near free motor rax for a decade, was a better use of resources than giving dublin a proper transoort system, lol, just lol! Dart underground and dublin metro would be gake changers! The new bike lane in dundrum that nobody uses, looks like it cost a pretty penny!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,351 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Top rate of motor tax on emissions now e2400! Lol! Lol!
    Literally €200 per month just in motor tax!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

KCross wrote: »
    And another tough one here...
    The charging structure for the NOx surcharge is also adjusted so that 1-40 mg are charged at €5 per mg, and 41-80 mg are charged at €15 per mg

Thats an effective increase from last year, isnt it?

Having said that, might not make any difference with Brexit... importing from the UK might become just a memory.

It is €5 from 1-60mg and €15 from 60-80mg at the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Anyone with a car that is post September 2018 your CO2 figure is calulated using the WLTP standards. Any car pre this date used the NEDC C02 test so you'll have to recalculate you C02 to match the WLTP system.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Capra

Top rate of motor tax on emissions now e2400! Lol! Lol!

Relative to inflation that is a significant decrease on what they set it at back in 2008

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,902 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Hogzy wrote: »
    Anyone with a car that is post September 2018 your CO2 figure is calulated using the WLTP standards. Any car pre this date used the NEDC C02 test so you'll have to recalculate you C02 to match the WLTP system.

for imports after 1st jan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

ba_barabus wrote: »
    Does that mean they taxing them the same now as a regular petrol car?

So it's either some form of or BEV in the VRT bands?

I think it’s based purely on WLTP emissions and no rebates or subsidies

for imports after 1st jan

Sorry yeah, just for imports.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

€2400 for me so!
    Tesla S p100d or plaid here I come...!

If youre importing a 2019 are your emissions on your v5 automatically considered to be WLTP compliant?

€2400 for me so!
    Tesla S p100d or plaid here I come...!

50 quid just am irrelevance at that rate. It would hatdly push you to change depreciation is the real killer woth most cars...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭millington

The VRT is the biggest change by the looks of it. I'm in the process of looking for a 2013 X5 in the UK, waiting til the new VRT rules will cost roughly an extra €4000

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

50 quid just am irrelevance at that rate. It would hatdly push you to change depreciation is the real killer woth most cars...

In fairness, I was going to change anyway, €50 ain't a big deal...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,003 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Looks like my 3L A6 (171-190) is going from €750 to €790.

€40 isn't too bad. I'll live with that.

• Advertisement

millington wrote: »
    The VRT is the biggest change by the looks of it. I'm in the process of looking for a 2013 X5 in the UK, waiting til the new VRT rules will cost roughly an extra €4000

On the other hand if you were to import a 2019 BMW 5 Series which im looking at youd be better off waiting until the new year as the VRT will be much cheaper.

Currently a 2019 520d M Sport (119g/km) is €6,249 + €100 NOX charge. If the new VRT charges were to be implemented right now and the OMSP (€36,761) stayed the same then that figure would come down to €5,515 VRT + €100 NOX as the VRT Rate goes from 17% to 15% for a 119g/km CO2 rate.

At least thats the way I understand it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Theanswers

On the other hand if you were to import a 2019 BMW 5 Series which im looking at youd be better off waiting until the new year as the VRT will be much cheaper.

Currently a 2019 520d M Sport (119g/km) is €6,249 + €100 NOX charge. If the new VRT charges were to be implemented right now and the OMSP (€36,761) stayed the same then that figure would come down to €5,515 VRT + €100 NOX as the VRT Rate goes from 17% to 15% for a 119g/km CO2 rate.

At least thats the way I understand it

Not really. In January you will have EU customs duties & VAT.

Ireland never really fairs well on the motoring front.

Theanswers wrote: »
    Not really. In January you will have EU customs duties & VAT.

Ireland never really fairs well on the motoring front.

Not from the North though. if you were to bring import it in late December 2020 and book your VRT for early January I wonder would that be ok?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,452 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I have a '91 535i stored in the UK for registration here next March. Going to buy a nice light road bike to go with it and thats me set till 2030.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

My motor tax staying at 280 so I'm happy with that. Diesel is paid for by work so no problem there either but even if it wasn't the increases will be minimal. Overall, pretty OK for me but I've yet to look at the effect on prices of new cars. I read that many suvs will see big increases but I'll have to read up a bit more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Eireann81

Larbre34 wrote: »
    I have a '91 535i stored in the UK for registration here next March. Going to buy a nice light road bike to go with it and thats me set till 2030.

I know the VRT will drop to €200 once the car turns 30, but will VAT plus customs duties be due next year? Might be cheaper to import it now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

Eireann81 wrote: »
    I know the VRT will drop to €200 once the car turns 30, but will VAT plus customs duties be due next year? Might be cheaper to import it now.

And I am guessing that it can’t be driven back either on a ferry as it will have to go straight to customs. And you will need to pay an agent to access the car when all duties paid.

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

_Kaiser_ wrote: »

I am assuming this will be the start of several years rises on emissions based. Touching CC would have been laughable, I didnt expect them to touch them. As everything is about "de vulneable" in this country, I assume I am lumped into that category with my 2006 car, LOL! but on the plus side, thats why they wouldnt touch those rates! Allowing a huge amount of emissions cars, virtually free motor tax or over a decade, in a country that doesnt manufacture cars, the most unsustainable mode of transport and give them near free tax, its epic in its hilarity!

Spent a fortune in dundrum just completing a small bit of bike lane, that is deserted! I really wonder why other cities on the continent, developed proper metros etc, must be total idiots...

They wont touch water charges again, there is effectively no LPT. The PAYE worker and motorists are the money tree, with this whole "green wave" and the virus situation, they need so much money, that they only low hanging fruit left, that politically they can touch, is the motorist at this point...

I pay E1809 a year, but I realise this **** show for what it is. Extremes of rates, either way to high or low for the most part!

I have a few mates looking to change, from big ish engine cc to emissions, they understand though, that the depreciation is still significant enough to justify waiting for the likes of 2012/2013 a 7 to drop and pay a relative drop in the ocean in cc tax, versus the cost to change now. They will never be done handing over E1500 etc a year to those wasters again...

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,602 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I agree that they should work out the average that car tax is per car (ie; the average tax paid might be, i dunno, €382.51, for example). Round it off (upwards, obviously) and just charge every car €400. Doesn't matter when it was made, what kind of engine, and get rid of the whole complicated system that comes with it. If you drive a 7ltr american import, then you'll pay more at the pump anyway, than Mary in her .9ltr micra. All evens out.

I'd like this, as I am paying €1600 a year tax for a car that does less then 2000kms

But they also have to leave vintage tax alone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

antodeco wrote: »
    I'd like this, as I am paying €1600 a year tax for a car that does less then 2000kms

But they also have to leave vintage tax alone!

I like the idea too. I pay 280 a year tax, no idea if that's average or below but I'd happily pay the average tax if it meant everyone paid the same and then put the increases on fuel. The more you use the more you pay. I really can't see a better way. Its not the owning of the car it's the usage, pollution, congestion that deems taxation.
    I used to have a 1293 euro tax car, 3.0 litre on cc rates and I had 2 x 1080 cars which were 2.5
    I thought this was fair when paying well above average on those cars and I think it's fair now when I'm driving what I suspect is below average tax (although I'm in band 6 of 11 so maybe not below average after all). But close enough to it and certainly closer to 0 than it is to 2400😉

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arleitiss

Is it safe to assume that if I want to import BMW 430i ~2015/16 from UK, it's better I do it right now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,526 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Anyone any idea what a pre 08’ 3 litre tax will cost? I can’t seem to find an answer beyond “it’s going up”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

Anyone any idea what a pre 08’ 3 litre tax will cost? I can’t seem to find an answer beyond “it’s going up”.

no change to pre 08 rates

Cheensbo wrote: »
    no change to pre 08 rates

Nice one. It’s enough as is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Theanswers

Not from the North though. if you were to bring import it in late December 2020 and book your VRT for early January I wonder would that be ok?

I wouldn't think so, at that rate i could move a car to ni and then into the south with a simple change ok v5. It'll hardly work, all though would be great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,858 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Kasey_Don wrote: »
    Petrol: y = x(0.9227)+34.554
    Diesel: y = x(1.1405)+12.858

A NEDC tested petrol car has a CO2 value of 110 g/km on the vehicle registration
    documentation which would attract a rate of 16%. Revenue uplifts this CO2 value to a
    WLTP equivalent value as follows: y = 110(0.9227) + 34.554 y = 136

This car is then subject to an 18% VRT rate.

Are hybrids exempt from the uplift?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,407 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Can someone do the math on a v90 for me.

Co2 is 146 g/km and thats band 16 apparently, and im adding 12.858 which brings it up to 159, which is band 18.

Did i do that right?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

RGARDINR wrote: »
    So I have a 192 seat arona automatic petrol. Pay 225 tax a year what way would it be now?

I have similar model to you, think its in 270 bracket now

I thought the motor tax rates were staying the same and only cars registered after 1st Jan 2021 would be on new rates.

(except for the max rate being changed for the high bracket as it is, to 2400?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭duskyjoe

_Kaiser_ wrote: »

I’ve a 435i , same gig, I’ll live with that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,254 ✭✭✭saabsaab

I agree that they should work out the average that car tax is per car (ie; the average tax paid might be, i dunno, €382.51, for example). Round it off (upwards, obviously) and just charge every car €400. Doesn't matter when it was made, what kind of engine, and get rid of the whole complicated system that comes with it. If you drive a 7ltr american import, then you'll pay more at the pump anyway, than Mary in her .9ltr micra. All evens out.

I agree. More you burn the more you pay simple.

Motor tax on existing cars stays the same.

From ‘21 all new cars and imported cars fall under the new tax regime.

Thus we have 3 tax regimes.

Pre 2008

Post 2008 up to pre ‘21 already registered in Ireland prior to ‘21.

01/21 and cars imported after that date.

That’s how I read it.

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,634 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Is it possible that some cars are going to be cheaper to import in January than they are in December?

I was looking at changing to a mondeo TDci 2.0 eco 150bhp with Nox .046 and co2 109

Anyone know should I wait until January? Or do it now?

I know the possible brexit VAT comes into it...

80sDiesel wrote: »

Pre 2008

That’s how I read it.

What an absolute mess. The same size engine could have wildly differing tax.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,254 ✭✭✭saabsaab

What an absolute mess. The same size engine could have wildly differing tax.

True. Four if you include classic car tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Why are things so feckin overly complicated in this country....

I agree a flat tax rate per car would mean less administration costs and everyone would understand.....oh you want to tax a car it costs X amount. But sure that's far too simple and would put a load of people out of a job.

Instead we have....ah that's a post 08 model that was facelifted so is wltp exempt so you need to apply an equation to the co2 rate to figure out the tax band just to hope you know how much it is. But you'll get a grant that'll offset the cost, if you put a plug in your shed. Oh you want to just pay for 3months, no no that's not going to be a quarter of the annual bill, because thst makes too much sense, just bend over will ye and stop asking logical questions.

How much money do we need in motor tax? How many cars are there out there? Maybe divide one by the other ffs....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,858 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Pre 2008

That’s how I read it.

No, post 2008 rates will change on existing and newly imported cars with emissions higher than 141 g/km of CO2, those below this are untouched.

No, post 2008 rates will change on existing and newly imported cars with emissions higher than 141 g/km of CO2, those below this are untouched.
    Yes that one exception but I kept it simple. ( same with classic tax)

Is it possible that some cars are going to be cheaper to import in January than they are in December?

I was looking at changing to a mondeo TDci 2.0 eco 150bhp with Nox .046 and co2 109

Anyone know should I wait until January? Or do it now?

I know the possible brexit VAT comes into it...

You will have customs duty and VAT. And VRT. But the car will need to be inspected at the dock by a custom official. You are not allowed to enter that area so you will need to hire an agent to gain access to your car. Look up importing a car from Japan and it’s a cumbersome process.
    ( I imported cars from nz and Australia )

So Brexit has a bigger cost than any budget change.

I'm still not clear if we have to multiply current post 08 pre 2018 cars with NON-WLTP emissions numbers by 1.14etc

or is that just for NEDC cars being registered after Jan 1st 2021 will get multiplied, and currently registered co2 measurements are kept?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Brianmwalker

Anyone if there's a site with all the Wltp results?

Anyone if there's a site with all the Wltp results?

http://budget.gov.ie/Budgets/2021/Documents/Budget/BUDGET%2021_Tax%20Policy%20Changes.pdf

page 14,15,16 control+F for "Changes to Vehicle Registration" to get there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Brianmwalker

http://budget.gov.ie/Budgets/2021/Documents/Budget/BUDGET%2021_Tax%20Policy%20Changes.pdf

page 14,15,16 control+F for "Changes to Vehicle Registration" to get there

Sorry I wasn't very clear. I mean a list of cars and their emission results. From my search of Google I can't tell if it's wltp or the old results that they are showing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

You will have customs duty and VAT. And VRT. But the car will need to be inspected at the dock by a custom official. You are not allowed to enter that area so you will need to hire an agent to gain access to your car. Look up importing a car from Japan and it’s a cumbersome process.
    ( I imported cars from nz and Australia )

So Brexit has a bigger cost than any budget change.

Lets hope it doesn't come to that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,687 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

There's no way SIMI will be in favour of this?

• Advertisement
Advertisement