Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for guidance

Options
  • 10-10-2020 4:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭

Hi All.

I've had 2 Nespresso machines, original and vertuo and I'm looking to move to a better machine, either bean to cup or a separate grinder and coffee machine to improve my coffee. I am totally new to this and really have no idea of where to start. Whatever I go for will be used 7 days a week and will be for a mixture of coffee types, espresso / americano / latte etc. I'm not looking at spending a huge amount, probably €500 max so would welcome suggestions as to how / where I can best spend this to ensure maximum value. Many thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

You really need to make a decision between bean to cup and separate setup.

How much learning to want to do or do you just want the press of a button and everything just to work?

Bean to cup, try https://www.did.ie/sage-the-barista-express-been-to-cup-coffee-machine-black-sesame-ses875bks2guk-ses875bks2guk-prd

Separate, probably Gaggia classic plus something like a rancilio rocky but hard enough to source for under €500.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭mossie

adrian522 wrote: »
    You really need to make a decision between bean to cup and separate setup.

How much learning to want to do or do you just want the press of a button and everything just to work?

Bean to cup, try https://www.did.ie/sage-the-barista-express-been-to-cup-coffee-machine-black-sesame-ses875bks2guk-ses875bks2guk-prd

Separate, probably Gaggia classic plus something like a rancilio rocky but hard enough to source for under €500.

I'm not sure I'd want to spend €500+ but I don't mind a bit of a learning curve so I'm open to both types. I have been looking at the Sage Barista Express but someone elsewhere suggested a Sage Bambino with a grinder would do a better job. Like I said I'm a newbie so I'm open to all suggestions / opinions and I'm happy to learn for a good coffee.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

You could look at getting a grinder initially and use it with a V60 or aeropress or french press for a while and look at an espresso machine in a year or so if you don't want to invest too much initially.

You could also keep an eye on adverts, good grinders and machines pop up there occasionally.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

mossie wrote: »
    I'm not sure I'd want to spend €500+ but I don't mind a bit of a learning curve so I'm open to both types. I have been looking at the Sage Barista Express but someone elsewhere suggested a Sage Bambino with a grinder would do a better job. Like I said I'm a newbie so I'm open to all suggestions / opinions and I'm happy to learn for a good coffee.

I'd agree with the idea of a Bambino with grinder, however, that setup is likely to set you back at least €500 at current prices.

I'd suggest buying the Bambino, get your local coffee shop to grind the beans for you for a couple of months until you have the funds to add the grinder....

I'm using Sage Bambino & Smart Grinder Pro and love it. Getting great results and prefer the coffee I produce to what I get in most coffee shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

I have the Sage barista touch. Also coming from Nespresso. It's a really great machine (the express is basically the same with a few minor differences). It is a different ball game to Nespresso though. Takes considerable tinkering with the coffee beans, the grind etc. Sometimes I still find myself going to the Nespresso quickie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,967 ✭✭✭circadian

Moved from pods to the Sage Bambino Plus a while back. Big difference in quality. My kitchen isn't the biggest so it's perfect and I picked up a grinder that can easily be stored away.

https://www.harveynorman.ie/small-appliances/coffee-machines/espresso/sage-the-bambino-plus-espresso-coffee-machine-brushed-stainless-steel.html

€300 for the Bambino Plus is a great price considering I've seen it elsewhere for closer to €500.

Thanks guys. Yeah, having done a lot of research I think the Bambino Plus is the likely route I'll take with a separate grinder but I might get beans pre ground for now. Cloud Picker have it for €299 also with 250g free coffee so might go that route and add a grinder later.

I'm going with the Bambino and Sage Grinder. Velo Coffee have the Bambino for €289 and grinder for €242, with 5% discount code it comes to €502 and they will send "a few free bags" to get me started. Thanks for the helpful advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,967 ✭✭✭circadian

Great to hear you got sorted. Watch a few tutorial videos on the Bambino to get used to it, I generally froth the milk manually but the machine does a surprisingly good job of it. The blade is handy wee device too.

When we got it the other half reckons the coffee was nicer than pretty much most coffee shops.

circadian wrote: »
    Great to hear you got sorted. Watch a few tutorial videos on the Bambino to get used to it, I generally froth the milk manually but the machine does a surprisingly good job of it. The blade is handy wee device too.

When we got it the other half reckons the coffee was nicer than pretty much most coffee shops.

Thanks. I'm sure I'll get there in the end by trial and error😀

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

mossie wrote: »
    I'm going with the Bambino and Sage Grinder. Velo Coffee have the Bambino for €289 and grinder for €242, with 5% discount code it comes to €502 and they will send "a few free bags" to get me started. Thanks for the helpful advice.

Well ware!

My machines arrived today but unfortunately the Bambino only has dual wall baskets in spite of being assured otherwise by the supplier. My first attempts at making espresso have been pretty much a disaster as a result. I've emailed them to point this out. In the meantime is there anything I can do to improve the espresso. I've tried making a coarser grind but not sure how coarse I should go. Sage Grinder Pro.

Advertisement