Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

West-East-West record attempt

Options
  • 10-10-2020 6:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭

Can't find anything already posted about this.

The legendary Joe Barr is undertaking another record attempt. He left Slea Head on the Dingle Peninsula at midday and is making his way to Wicklow Lighthouse (Ireland's most westerly and easterly points) before turning around and heading back again!!!

Already through Cahir in South Tipp.

You can follow his journey here

http://live.primaltracking.com/tjbwew2020/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Great info in the video there when they did the bike change in relation to gearing etc.

I always thought Burr Point the most easterly point in Ireland, not Wicklow lighthouse :confused:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Can't see this as anything other than wildly irresponsible. Joe not showing much solidarity with the rest of the country, seems he'd rather make a bit for sponsors and his own personal glory instead.
    He could have waited until restrictions allowed people to travel between counties at least!

Actually how are they getting around the restrictions to even do this? It's not an elite event?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,577 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

depends on whether you talk about the island of ireland or the nation of ireland obviously.

does he have some sort of dispensation for this?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,577 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

eeeee got there before me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

depends on whether you talk about the island of ireland or the nation of ireland obviously.

does he have some sort of dispensation for this?

Is he from the North? Our rules can't be enforced upon them. Remember the craic with all the holiday makers crossing over to Donegal earlier in the year

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Daroxtar wrote: »
    Is he from the North? Our rules can't be enforced upon them. Remember the craic with all the holiday makers crossing over to Donegal earlier in the year

Look at their covid 19 infection figures now - letterkenny, donegal, buncranna. Go
    figure!

I applaud the effort but not the timing - hard when you’ve been training all year. Dors gr have Team around him - are they travelling in camper cans? Might be OK ish!! Big dream regardless!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

6 of them standing around (2 cars) about a foot apart from each other, maskless for what is nothing more than an attempt at vainglory to be honest.

Also on that, bleating on about how sustainable they're being, while following in 2 cars.

Not for me, couldn't care less how fast he does it.

That there are gardai stopping peoe going to work monday-friday to check on them, I wouldn't be disappointed to for them to stop these
    I'll take namelessphils proper solo heroics over this nonsense.

In normal times, I'd wish him well, but we're well beyond that

Daroxtar wrote: »
    Is he from the North? ..
    He's from Co Donegal but lives in Derry.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Surprised his sponsors didn't try and get him to leave it for a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭EAFC_rdfl

He's from Co Donegal but lives in Derry.
    The driver of his following car is from donegal, plenty clips showing no mask in use. How does he have the right to be out of the county

eeeee wrote: »
    .... It's not an elite event?
    I'd class him as an elite athlete if I were making the rules. It seems strange that the fat lads who like the egg game are allowed to maul each other yet non-contact sports aren't permitted.

Joe west of Carrick on Suir on the return leg now.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,494 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Jesus, this is astonishing, best of luck to him

I'd class him as an elite athlete if I were making the rules. It seems strange that the fat lads who like the egg game are allowed to maul each other yet non-contact sports aren't permitted.

Joe west of Carrick on Suir on the return leg now.

He's not an elite athlete by any metric available now though. A great athlete? Certainly.

I can't respect him in any way, shape or form for doing this now for all the reasons i previously stated. Doing this now is pure selfish vainglory.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,535 ✭✭✭✭ted1

PatM65 wrote: »
    Can't find anything already posted about this.

The legendary Joe Barr is undertaking another record attempt. He left Slea Head on the Dingle Peninsula at midday and is making his way to Wicklow Lighthouse (Ireland's most westerly and easterly points) before turning around and heading back again!!!

Already through Cahir in South Tipp.

You can follow his journey here

http://live.primaltracking.com/tjbwew2020/

During a national lockdown?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭sweet_trip

Looks like he was stopped at one of the covid checkpoints in clonmel this morning for a bit. Wonder how that went.

Just after going through Dingle - he's nearly there.

Home and hosed - 770kms in 28 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭TGD

eeeee wrote: »
    Can't see this as anything other than wildly irresponsible. Joe not showing much solidarity with the rest of the country, seems he'd rather make a bit for sponsors and his own personal glory instead.
    He could have waited until restrictions allowed people to travel between counties at least!

It falls under the 'elite' category from my understanding. No different to all the other eilte teams which travel with much larger numbers and support staff, and are in physical contact with each other during competition. So, if it's wrong, it should be wrong for all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Home and hosed - 770kms in 28 hours.

27.5kph average which obviously does not consider any time off the bike, you'd assume he had to take at least a few breaks, and maybe a short kip.

TGD wrote: »
    It falls under the 'elite' category from my understanding.
    who is deciding that?
    it's not a sport he's partaking in - he wasn't competing in a race.
    also, can you name another sport/activity which explicitly involves crossing even one county boundary, let alone probably crossing country boundaries probably at least a dozen times?

who is deciding that?
    it's not a sport he's partaking in - he wasn't competing in a race.
    also, can you name another sport/activity which explicitly involves crossing even one county boundary, let alone probably crossing country boundaries probably at least a dozen times?

The team posted this on Facebook in response to a query on this: "as a world record attempt under the World Ultra cycling association it fits within elite/professional sport exemption under Level 3 restriction."
    I'm not 'defending' - those are just the facts.

.. can you name another sport/activity which explicitly involves crossing even one county boundary, let alone probably crossing country boundaries probably at least a dozen times?
    Didn't Wales and Slovakia travel here in the football? Connaught to Cardiff for the rugby, Irish rowers abroad for the European championships....etc.

Didn't Wales and Slovakia travel here in the football? Connaught to Cardiff for the rugby, Irish rowers abroad for the European championships....etc.

Horse racing .... Irish cyclist at World Downhill Champs in Austria ... I'm sure there are many more ....

true, but i meant the actual sporting event itself crosses county boundaries, rather than the getting to it does.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

It falls under the 'elite' category from my understanding. No different to all the other eilte teams which travel with much larger numbers and support staff, and are in physical contact with each other during competition. So, if it's wrong, it should be wrong for all.

They're being tested something like every 2-3 days because elite teams and professional staff have to go to that expense.

They also have some fairly strict protocols to follow.

Just look at the fai **** . Protocols not followed, and it's resulted in several elite athletes being withdrawn.

Even the folks in the professional races are wearing some sort of ppe whereas that doesn't seem to be the case here. eH has 6 people cooped up in 2 support vehicles. 2 mechanics, a photographer/social media person, someone doing video and another 2 for whatever support.

I'd hope himself and his crew were tested before and after because it's fairly crass imo

CramCycle wrote: »
    Surprised his sponsors didn't try and get him to leave it for a bit.
    Yesterday was 'World Porridge Day' - he's sponsored by a porridge manufacturer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Porridge_Day

Except it's not - there is no National Championships for it, no European, World or Olympic champs for it. No Ultra Endurance cyclist gets carded by Sport Ireland, or runner either I don't think. That's not to say they shouldn't be, but they are not elite athletes at the moment, with all of the attendant qualifications, testing, dope testing, rules etc. There's a world of differences between what he does and elite sport. Again, not to disparage the effort, but what he's doing is not an elite sport.

He just wanted to make a bit for a sponsor crossing the country at a time when the entire country bar elite athletes have to stay within their own counties. That's unjustifiable IMO 
    Horse racing .... Irish cyclist at World Downhill Champs in Austria ... I'm sure there are many more ....

The DH champs riders are on HP pathways, tested repeatedly before, during and after competition.

A good example of an elite athlete competing abroad at the moment is Mia Griffin won bronze at the European U23 Champs in the Individual Pursuit last weekend. She is a carded athlete, who competes at the highest level internationally. She was tested before she travelled, during, after and will have to isolate upon her return.

Nico Roche and Ryan Mullen other good examples, and tested before, during and after their time competing at the National Road Champs the other weekend.

These are a world away from one person deciding to bring themselves and a support crew, maskless (from what I saw online), from one end of the country to the other for personal glory and sponsor money when people are not allowed to leave their counties. That's inexcusable IMO.

• Advertisement
Advertisement