Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playing Chicken on Clontarf Cycle Path

Options
  • 10-10-2020 6:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭

I was cycling out towards Howth today chatting to my mate who was on my left. A guy on a road bike was coming towards us. There were no pedestrians around and there was at least 3m on my right to pass. However he cycled straight at me staring me in the eye and at the very last second swerved left. I still don't know how he missed me. Our combined speed must have been 50km/h.

Has anyone come across this type of gombeenery before?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

It's very selfish to cycle two abreast on a cycle track designed for single file in each direction. Why do you think other cyclists should have to compromise to suit you? Why not use the road if you wish to go two abreast?

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭mrm

I was cycling out towards Howth today chatting to my mate who was on my left. A guy on a road bike was coming towards us. There were no pedestrians around and there was at least 3m on my right to pass. However he cycled straight at me staring me in the eye and at the very last second swerved left. I still don't know how he missed me. Our combined speed must have been 50km/h.

Has anyone come across this type of gombeenery before?

It was because he had the courtesy to move aside....unlike you!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

That cycle lane isn't meant for 2 abreast on a lot of it. When I'm heading out that way with friends I single out when someone's coming the opposite way matter how much room there is on the walkway if we can't fit between the lines.
    You also don't know who cold have popped out onto the walkway behind you as the other rider approached.
    If you can't fit 2 abreast within the lines of your 'lane', single out when another rider is coming the other way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭r439z5ifwt8soq

Depends on the situation, half of that path is marked for pedestrians, so riding two abreast you'd be asking him to move into the pedestrian bit

I ride that path a fair bit out to Howth, and it is pretty annoying when people riding two abreast don't give way at all, especially when its busy with pedestrians

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

As a regular pedestrian this type of behaviour is beyond annoying.

Your cycle track is wide enough without going into the pedestrian side.

I've had way too many close calls from cyclists thinking they are lance Armstrong weaving in and out on this stretch.

Stay in your own lane, the amenity is there for everyone's enjoyment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

Well some of the responders are jumping to ridiculous conclusions here. The cycle path was very busy today and there were many times we had to single out. At no time did we inconvenience anyone, pedestrian or cyclists. On this one occasion, at a wide point in the path and with no pedestrians around there was no need to!

A number of people are condoning dangerous, irresponsible, frankly utterly stupid behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭dublin49

bottom line he was in the right place and you were in the wrong place and you are questioning his behaviour ,maybe reflect on it that

As a regular pedestrian this type of behaviour is beyond annoying.

Your cycle track is wide enough without going into the pedestrian side....
    In fairness though, that works both ways. All of us who cycle on it regularly will have encountered walkers and runners in the cycle track as well as dogs on long leads and children wandering along the cycle track with their guardians on the pedestrian section.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Yeah, you shouldn't assume that they're going to move because the pedestrian oath is clear though. If you're 2 abreast on the cycle path, you should always be going single file when someone's coming in the other direction imo.

If it's a case of they're 2 abreast coming against you, and in the pedestrian path, then they can f*ck right off, as it's give and take.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

However he cycled straight at me staring me in the eye and at the very last second swerved left. I still don't know how he missed me.
    To be fair I'd have probably done the same thing as your man except I'd have shouted something at you as we passed each other.

• Advertisement

To be fair I'd have probably done the same thing as your man except I'd have shouted something at you as we passed each other.

Seems rather stupid to admit that you'd deliberately do something that could result in a serious accident. What if I'd panicked and swerved right? Why not just shout something while safely passing?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

In fairness though, that works both ways. All of us who cycle on it regularly will have encountered walkers and runners in the cycle track as well as dogs on long leads and children wandering along the cycle track with their guardians on the pedestrian section.

Yes it does work both ways.

The op has admitted that because he was cycling in the wrong lane he caused another cyclist to veer into the pedestrian lane. He was in the wrong.

Seems rather stupid to admit that you'd deliberately do something that could result in a serious accident...
    :confused: You were the first to admit that you did something stupid that could have resulted in an accident.

Stop digging!

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Derrydingle

Paul bottom line is you were in the wrong all you can do is learn from it and do the right thing next time

The bottom line is that regardless of whether we should have singled out for a lone cyclist approaching on a 15 foot wide strip of tarmac, any individual who then deliberately chooses to unnecessarily turn this into a dangerous situation is a moron and anyone who condones their action is also a moron.

A final reflection, try and imagine the consequences of a head on collision at about 50km/h.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Seems rather stupid to admit that you'd deliberately do something that could result in a serious accident. What if I'd panicked and swerved right? Why not just shout something while safely passing?

Which is exactly what you did. There are lines on the road delineating the cycle path. You took over both sides of a double sided lane. You don't know what or who could have popped in the pedestrian lane behind you that meant the other rider couldn't move into it.

You were in the wrong here plain and simple.
    The bottom line is that regardless of whether we should have singled out for a lone cyclist approaching on a 15 foot wide strip of tarmac, any individual who then deliberately chooses to unnecessarily turn this into a dangerous situation is a moron and anyone who condones their action is also a moron.

A final reflection, try and imagine the consequences of a head on collision at about 50km/h.

You decided to turn it into an unnecessarily dangerous situation by riding on both sides of the path onto oncoming traffic, forcing them off the path.

As has been pointed out by every other single poster on this thread, you were in the wrong and your own behaviour created the dangerous situation.
    If you cannot fit within your own lane two abreast you single out in the face of oncoming traffic. There's no other defensible position.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭mrm

Your posts exhibit the Dunning–Kruger effect at max level!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,577 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

just because the other cyclist was in the wrong, it doesn't mean you were in the right. it is annoying to be cycling along the path with cyclists two abreast coming towards you and forcing you out of your lane because they don't make allowance for your presence.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

25km/h+ tail wind heading towards Howth today too :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

OP surely on a wind up. Nobody can be that blind to their own stupid actions.

The poor cyclist coming the other way nearly had a crash at 50kph due to an idiot cycling two abreast with his pal. Lucky escape for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Oberkon

That path is too narrow for two for a lot of it.
    It’s up there with the couple of Oulwans I encounter walking side by side on the path while I come running on my own in opposite direction and have to veer into road because they can’t go single file through lack of awareness or ignorance . Basic manners

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭dublin49

its the equivalent of being furious with on coming car because you misjudged overtaking manoeuvre

mrm wrote: »
    Your posts exhibit the Dunning–Kruger effect at max level!
    I have a Dunning Kruger poster above my desk at work. First time I've heard it mentioned here. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭The Oort Cloud

I see you deleted my post.

My question forwarded to this thread was the truth of which I personally experience on a day to day level and you are telling me that my post was needlessly aggressive?, ok fair enough.

Individual people have different thoughts and understanding in regard to others opinions, but the problem is this... there are some people out there that will do everything in their power to cut you off when they do not like your opinion even when it is truth.

https://youtu.be/v8EseBe4eIU

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,577 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

thread closed. more heat than light being generated

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement