Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A couple of questions on 3440x1440 requirements

Options
  • 11-10-2020 9:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭

Hey folks

Have a couple of questions I was hoping people here could point me in the right direction on. My current PC is coming up on 7 years old. I've upgraded it twice in that time (from a GTX 760 to a GTX 1060 6GB and from a regular HDD to an SSD) The PC has never let me down, but it's definitely showing it's age now.

I'm currently planning a build and I want to know if there's a consensus on what would be required to drive a 3440x1440 monitor, ideally pushing towards the 144hz range, but since I'm coming from a 2560x1080 at 60hz, I'd probably be blown away by anything over 100hz.

I ask this, because I was eyeing up a 3070, but am worried that it might not be enough to futureproof this purchase for a while. I'm also curious as to what cpu will be needed to facilitate this.

Second question... Back in the day, PSUs had a switch on them for voltage - is that still a thing? There's a strong chance that I'm moving to Canada next summer - is there anything I need to watch out for in terms of buying a PSU/Monitor or will changing the kettle lead sort me out?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

A 3070 would be fine for ultrawide 1440p

I would personally wait for the 6000 Big navi series to be released end of october as they are rumoured to be the sweet spot for 1440p gaming

CPU wise its up to you.I would probably go with the new amd 8 core 16 thread ryzen 7 5800x at 428 sterling or for even more power the 5900x which is 12 cores and 24 threads for 529 sterling

the majority of modern power supplies are "universal input" and will work with any input voltage from 100-240V. Canada uses 120V

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Homelander

3440x1440 60hz would be very good with a 3070 but 144hz at that resolution is extremely demanding. You also need a very good CPU.

I have a 2070 Super and found it was completely useless for 3440x1440 120hz on the latest demanding games, ended up running a lot of things at medium settings to even get 80-90fps.

Obviously the 3070 is a good bit faster, but the point being how incredibly demanding that res/refresh rate is and even more so with upcoming games. It's impossible to talk about 3440x1440, 144hz, and "future proofing" really unless you are building a ridiculous monster PC.

Personally with an RTX3070 and talk of "future proofing" I would probably advise either:

3440x1440 60hz - allows you to save on CPU as well as a cheaper one will do like Ryzen 3600 or 3700X.

1440P 144hz - will require a good CPU, like Ryzen 5800X ideally.

In either scenario there is a fair degree of future proofing as you can expect consistently good results for a few years without having to think about upgrades.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Thanks for the replies folks.

So, 3440x1440 is pretty much the only thing I really want - all other decisions will be driven by that. 21:9 is one of my favourite things about PC gaming tbh. I've never seen a refresh rate higher than 60hz in my life, so I don't know what I'm missing out on there. Seems like 3070 might just be great for the resolution I want at normal frame rates.

Homelander, if you don't mind me asking, do you have a curved monitor? I gather a lot of people find the 34" ultrawide a bit much unless it's curved - again, this is something I've no experience with.

GHOST MGG - thanks for the info in the power supply, I'll make sure I'm shopping for a universal one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,844 ✭✭✭Julez

Thanks for the replies folks.

So, 3440x1440 is pretty much the only thing I really want - all other decisions will be driven by that. 21:9 is one of my favourite things about PC gaming tbh. I've never seen a refresh rate higher than 60hz in my life, so I don't know what I'm missing out on there. Seems like 3070 might just be great for the resolution I want at normal frame rates.

Homelander, if you don't mind me asking, do you have a curved monitor? I gather a lot of people find the 34" ultrawide a bit much unless it's curved - again, this is something I've no experience with.

GHOST MGG - thanks for the info in the power supply, I'll make sure I'm shopping for a universal one.

I have 34" 3440x1440 120hz, I was using it with a gtx 1080 for a long time, and it was fine, but definitely had to dial down the settings a little. Now have a rtx 2080ti (probably in and around 3070 performance) and its great. So long as you use g-sync and keep your frames over 60 you'll notice a big difference, you will be able to run most games at max too, bar the most demanding.

Advertisement