Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

City Centre through the night

Options
  • 11-10-2020 10:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭

Hi folks - a friend of mine is expecting a baby and is attending Holles Street - they will be coming up from Wicklow.

Under the current restrictions the father will have to wait outside until the mother is brought to the delivery suite which may be some time.
    In the current environment is there anywhere open to grab something to eat after midnight or is the city a ghost town?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Ghost town, might get a petrol station which is open late but that would be the extent of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭tropple

The Spar on Bath Avenue (about 5 mins drive from Holles St) is open 24 hour, has a coffee shop too

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

McDonald's in Santry is 24hours.
    At that time of night it be only about 15 minutes away using the Port tunnel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

Mr.S wrote: »

Starbucks on Stephens Green (the side near Grafton Street) is usually 24 hours, but maybe not during COVID.

This closes at 10pm now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭cannotlogin

He would be best to try find a cheap air b&b or room in a townhouse within walking distance. There's no way of guessing the timing so it's the best option. Should be cheap & easy to find at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭luketitz

McDonalds on Grafton St was 24 hrs, 10 min stroll from Holles St, no idea if that's still the case at the moment though

• Registered Users Posts: 29,348 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

He would be best to try find a cheap air b&b or room in a townhouse within walking distance. There's no way of guessing the timing so it's the best option. Should be cheap & easy to find at the moment.
    This all day (night) long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭cannotlogin

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    This all day (night) long.

I understand that but it beats sitting in a car. Book into accommodation, sleep, read or watch tv etc. It's only a suggestion but is 100% what I would do if it were me. Won't be for everyone.

He can get food delivered etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,627 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

luketitz wrote: »
    McDonalds on Grafton St was 24 hrs, 10 min stroll from Holles St, no idea if that's still the case at the moment though

Closed at 11 over the summer not sure if open later now?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,348 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I understand that but it beats sitting in a car. Book into accommodation, sleep, read or watch tv etc. It's only a suggestion but is 100% what I would do if it were me. Won't be for everyone.

He can get food delivered etc.
    I was agreeing with you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Hotels will take the hand off you to take a room for the night

• Registered Users Posts: 15,627 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Ok so there’s a spar on mount st near to the hospital but I think it closes around 10

There’s the punnet too - healthy cafe type place - doubt it opens after 6

The salad place staple foods shuts around 3 -4 pm

Fudi opposite Holles st closes around 8

Spar on grand canal st closes around 10

• Registered Users Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭cgcsb

McDonald's on Grafton st is still open all the time I think, but maybe ring them and check. There's no indoor seating anywhere though, take away only.

Spar and Centra at Dame/George street are still open all night but I think they've stopped serving from their delis late at night.

Yeah it's pretty crap in fairness.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

I'm in a similar position only it's a planned induction in the Rotunda so at least I know the day we're going in. A room in a hotel (Jury's) literally across the road from the hospital was €50 for the night. I'd definitely recommend getting a hotel or B&B as you never know how long you'll be waiting, especially if it's their first.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Sofa King Great

Thanks everyone for the tips - it seems like an age since I've been in the city centre, let alone after 10pm!

Advertisement