Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who were the left wing fascists attacking peaceful protestors yesterday?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Maybe you should do some research before you leap in to defend racists like Hermann?

i referred to his EU exit appearances , what did he say along with those others ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,330 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    being opposed to divorce hardly makes someone " far right " ?

But makes a mockery of his support for an extreme form of Catholicism, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

i referred to his EU exit appearances , what did he say along with those others ?

Here's what you said ; "i even saw Ciara Kelly from newstalk labelled far right recently for questioning the NPHET narrative"

And please go do your own research if you're not aware of the background. I'm not here to enlighten you.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Game Face MCGee

Why don't you invite him and his BNP buddies around for dinner?

https://twitter.com/JudgeDyl/status/1305103856838340608?s=19

having no issue with someone speaking on the radio does not equate to supporting them and their views, its a radio show looking for ratings. do you get?
    the all in or all out attitude of the left baffles me at times. if you don't advocate 100% of their 100 view points then you are a right wing fascist and need to be canceled

Here's what you said ; "i even saw Ciara Kelly from newstalk labelled far right recently for questioning the NPHET narrative"

And please go do your own research if you're not aware of the background. I'm not here to enlighten you.

irrespective of his other political view points (i dont know them tbh) he's on ciara kelly to talk brexit and offer a different view to the situation. whats the issue with that? he certainly doesn't spout fascist dogma when on the show?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

WrenBoy wrote: »
    What violent crimes did he do ? Can we get links ?
    Im not saying I don't believe you, I don't really know the fellow, just haven't time to be searching google at the minute I'm in work and you seem to know .
    :rolleyes:

Sure this was in 1998 https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/youth-defence-unrepentant-as-eight-convicted-26153253.html

He appealed it but lost. The conviction stood.

He was arrested once before this in 1994. But it was more minor.
    Barrett also admitted attending rallies held by Nazi-sympathiser group the NDP and Italian fascist organisation Forza Nuova.

Everyone knows the NP is a fascist party.

He also keeps with ex IRA members once SF members.

A lot of them. Youth defense also used to know a lot of IRA members.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/ira-man-defects-from-sf-to-euro-hopeful-barrett-26220993.html

This is kind of the surface but you get the jist.

People are forever giving out about SF having links to paramilitaries ..fair enough but those links are not why people VOTE for SF ..but The NP has lots of members and people who endorse them who were ex IRA too..and i have a feeling for some that is part of their appeal ...the hardman nationalist image.

I mean i don't see leo and co stirring up **** about the far right having IRA links.

Sure this was in 1998 https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/youth-defence-unrepentant-as-eight-convicted-26153253.html

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/ira-man-defects-from-sf-to-euro-hopeful-barrett-26220993.html

People are forever giving out about SF having links to paramilitaries ..fair enough but those links are not why people VOTE for SF ..but The NP has lots of members and people who endorse them who were ex IRA too..and i have a feeling for some that is part of their appeal ...the hardman nationalist image.

I mean i don't see leo and co stirring up **** about the far right having IRA links.

Oh by the way did i forget to say he used to be a member of FINN GAEL. :)

Yes he did...he left because they were too cynical.
    In 1991, he was involved in Young Fine Gael but left because of what he called the cynicism of the party.

Other than this one presumes they were a perfect fit. But that 'cynicism' was the pea under the mattress for young Justin.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Bambi wrote: »
    Elderly? Are you on about yer wan the "activist" in the leather trench coat who went steaming into the loons with her pal as a counter protest? Not exactly someones granny out doing the Sunday shop is it?

Mentallers fighting with mentallers and LARPers trying to convice normal people that one side isn't mental. Mad stuff.

I do remember some Irish lads went off to join the Kurds and fight the fascism of ISIS, ex defence forces I believe, would any of these antifacists at the weekend be a part of that august band? Would they f**k :D

A few did, the majority of them had nothing to do with the military and they do support that action actually.

People like Gerry McGeough are former members of the Republican Movement who strongly criticised the IRA and Sinn Féin.

There’s a difference between former disaffected members getting involved in something and the NP “IRA links” as if the two organisations had anything in common politically.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 85 ✭✭macpaccrack

Bambi wrote: »
    Elderly? Are you on about yer wan the "activist" in the leather trench coat who went steaming into the loons with her pal as a counter protest? Not exactly someones granny out doing the Sunday shop is it?

Mentallers fighting with mentallers and LARPers trying to convice normal people that one side isn't mental. Mad stuff.

I do remember some Irish lads went off to join the Kurds and fight the fascism of ISIS, ex defence forces I believe, would any of these antifacists at the weekend be a part of that august band? Would they f**k :D

You are downplaying a woman in her 50s being hospitalised by a group of male thugs.

What a scummy thing to do.

But that's the far right. Justifying the beating of women, hanging with UVF death squad members and attacking minorities for just being different. Bitter people who want to take their own failures in life out on others.

• Advertisement

FTA69 wrote: »
    People like Gerry McGeough are former members of the Republican Movement who strongly criticised the IRA and Sinn Féin.

There’s a difference between former disaffected members getting involved in something and the NP “IRA links” as if the two organisations had anything in common politically.
    Úna Bean Mhic Mhathúna's brother was very much involved in all of that he was in ...oh something called saoire eire ..can't remember. ALthough he did end up being shot by the IRA. His name was Larry he was killed in a feud with the official IRA.

Mhathuna started up youth defense ...and Barrett joined.

Where there is facism ...there is trauma.

So much pain.

They probably think they are clever.

Mc Geough criticised liberalism. Not the IRA.

He was done for attempted murder and served only 2 yrs ..funnily enough that is pretty liberal.

We were discussing Hermann kelly and his EU exit position, you then brought up two guy's I've never heard of

Why bring them up if you're going to get ratty at those who aren't familiar?

Hermann kelly may be a tax evader for all I know, I only know him from his calls for an EU withdrawal, I've no issue with such a view receiving a hearing

I only know him from his calls for an EU withdrawal,
    That is enough to dismiss him.

That is enough to dismiss him.

But is it enough to non platform him ?

Úna Bean Mhic Mhathúna's brother was very much involved in all of that he was in ...oh something called saoire eire ..can't remember. ALthough he did end up being shot by the IRA. His name was Larry he was killed in a feud with the official IRA.

Mhathuna started up youth defense ...and Barrett joined.

Where there is facism ...there is trauma.

So much pain.

They probably think they are clever.

Mc Geough criticised liberalism. Not the IRA.

He was done for attempted murder and served only 2 yrs ..funnily enough that is pretty liberal.

Larry White was from nearby where I grew up. He was a member of a group called Saor Éire and was shot by the Official IRA, some of whom who later became prominent in the Labour Party in Cork.

McGeough would defend the armed struggle but would categorise the Republican movement as having been hijacked etc and would also favour a very religious outlook that would run contrary to the general secularism the Provisionals adopted from relatively early on.

As I said, you’re not wrong in what you say but your post would infer the National Party has organisational links with groups as opposed to a few individuals who would have been former members.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

yoke wrote: »
    Better solution is to get rid of the bullies, rather than penalising the kids who are fighting back because you can't protect them.

Better yet is to ignore the bullies, apart from to ridicule and laugh at them behind their backs.
    Then, they are powerless and not worth paying attention to.
    They are not the beginnings of fascist dictatorship.
    We do not fear drowning because of light drizzle, and we should not be hysterical about a small number of people with nasty ideas. Freaking out about a tiny far right fringe is paranoid, or even motivated by pure hatred.

Declaring war on everyone accused of being a possible fascist is oppressive authoritian behaviour. Hatred is an unhealthy emotion, even if its directed at scum.

We were discussing Hermann kelly and his EU exit position, you then brought up two guy's I've never heard of

Why bring them up if you're going to get ratty at those who aren't familiar?

Hermann kelly may be a tax evader for all I know, I only know him from his calls for an EU withdrawal, I've no issue with such a view receiving a hearing

We were actually discussing Ciara Kelly being labelled as far right, which you suggested was related to her view on NPHET. I pointed out that she's been platforming inviting on her show far right activities fairly regularly now.

If you want to know more about Hermann's track record, google it.

We were actually discussing Ciara Kelly being labelled as far right, which you suggested was related to her view on NPHET. I pointed out that she's been platforming inviting on her show far right activities fairly regularly now.

If you want to know more about Hermann's track record, google it.

So is Ciara Kelly far right?

But is it enough to non platform him ?
    oh i think so

FTA69 wrote: »
    Larry White was from nearby where I grew up. He was a member of a group called Saor Éire and was shot by the Official IRA, some of whom who later became prominent in the Labour Party in Cork.

McGeough would defend the armed struggle but would categorise the Republican movement as having been hijacked etc and would also favour a very religious outlook that would run contrary to the general secularism the Provisionals adopted from relatively early on.

what web eh
    As I said, you’re not wrong in what you say but your post would infer the National Party has organisational links with groups as opposed to a few individuals who would have been former members.
    i have always suspected .....they do or well many more individuals in those groups then they let on

but its like they could be swallowed by it

they always have a posse of 'hard men' or seem too it was rumored gemma hung with same

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,080 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

WrenBoy wrote: »
    What violent crimes did he do ? Can we get links ?
    Im not saying I don't believe you, I don't really know the fellow, just haven't time to be searching google at the minute I'm in work and you seem to know .

I know some of the people beaten up with snooker cues and hurleys by his associates in the 1990s

http://struggle.ws/darg/appendix_18sept_yd.html

Justin himself was convicted of rioting at Adelaide hospital

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/youth-defence-unrepentant-as-eight-convicted-26153253.html

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭excludedbin

Better yet is to ignore the bullies
    I'm getting more suspicious, these days, about people saying "ignore them". Because ignoring them is what's allowed them to grow to this point. It's awfully convenient, now that people are starting to notice the violent scumbags that make up the far right, that we're seeing more and more calls to just "ignore them".
    apart from to ridicule and laugh at them behind their backs.
    Then, they are powerless and not worth paying attention to.
    They are not the beginnings of fascist dictatorship.
    We do not fear drowning because of light drizzle, and we should not be hysterical about a small number of people with nasty ideas. Freaking out about a tiny far right fringe is paranoid, or even motivated by pure hatred.
    This is partly why; "nasty ideas" doing its best to euphemise that they're homophobic, racist, sexist scumbags that see certain groups as subhuman. And that anyone with any concerns about them is "paranoid" or, right on cue, are the real ones exhibiting "pure hatred". The classic "fighting fascists makes you the real fascist" crap.

Notice how those who oppose fascists aren't afforded those kinds of euphemisms. Again, it's trying to diminish the very real danger these people present while demonising anyone that opposes them.
    Declaring war on everyone accused of being a possible fascist is oppressive authoritian behaviour. Hatred is an unhealthy emotion, even if its directed at scum.
    And another old chestnut, the well-trod "the left calls everyone a fascist these days" line. Also reinforcing the idea that it's only those who oppose fascists hold "hatred". And that hating fascists is somehow unhealthy... You'd think they'd be among the few groups all decent people would hate.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,080 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

being opposed to divorce hardly makes someone " far right " ?

We know Justin is far right. Wishing and pretending it away wont work.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

I'm getting more suspicious, these days, about people saying "ignore them". Because ignoring them is what's allowed them to grow to this point. It's awfully convenient, now that people are starting to notice the violent scumbags that make up the far right, that we're seeing more and more calls to just "ignore them".

This is partly why; "nasty ideas" doing its best to euphemise that they're homophobic, racist, sexist scumbags that see certain groups as subhuman. And that anyone with any concerns about them is "paranoid" or, right on cue, are the real ones exhibiting "pure hatred". The classic "fighting fascists makes you the real fascist" crap.

Notice how those who oppose fascists aren't afforded those kinds of euphemisms. Again, it's trying to diminish the very real danger these people present while demonising anyone that opposes them.

And another old chestnut, the well-trod "the left calls everyone a fascist these days" line. Also reinforcing the idea that it's only those who oppose fascists hold "hatred". And that hating fascists is somehow unhealthy... You'd think they'd be among the few groups all decent people would hate.

The definition of fascist is ever expanding, it's now a term used to slime someone if they say something the PC left don't like

Beit people who oppose DP centres in particular areas or those who are sceptical about travellers endless claims of discrimination

The far left have taken it upon themselves to define what's an acceptable- correct view

The arrogance is staggering

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Biker79

It was Lenin who started the practice of redefining words until they fitted with his agenda.

Leftiists do it now without batting an eyelid.

' fascist ' and ' racist ' have lost all meaning.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Amazing to me that Litler is in anyway well known. A 50 year old man who was humiliated in the only election he ever ran in and hes a man who has never held office anywhere. And never will.

The weekend was one of the most pathetic things Ive ever seen. 200 people from a population base of 5 million. A thankfully tiny amount of losers with nothing better to do. Spending your weekend doing that. Thats just sad. Morto for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭excludedbin

The definition of fascist is ever expanding
    No it's not.
    it's now a term used to slime someone if they say something the PC left don't like
    No it's not. See? I can just as easily dismiss your baseless claims.

How about this: the far right and their apologists have a very keen desire to seed the idea that the term 'fascist' has lost all meaning. Because once they do that, they can't be correctly identified any more.
    Beit people who oppose DP centres in particular areas or those who are sceptical about travellers endless claims of discrimination
    You mean people who set fire to prospective DP centres and the cars of TDs who commit the unforgivable sin of criticising the far right.

Should I even bother asking for evidence of "people who oppose DP centres in particular areas" being called fascists? Keep in mind I'm not interested in hearing excuses about a load of far right tools literally being bussed into an area they don't live in to stir up hatred.
    The far left have taken it upon themselves to define what's an acceptable- correct view
    Everything I don't like is far left. Truly the term has lost all meaning. :)

I'm getting more suspicious, these days, about people saying "ignore them". Because ignoring them is what's allowed them to grow to this point. It's awfully convenient, now that people are starting to notice the violent scumbags that make up the far right, that we're seeing more and more calls to just "ignore them"..

haven't grown any bigger than they were 40, 30, 20 years ago. still a few hundred idiots at its core. they get a few hundred votes in any local election.
    actually the rapid fall of the Catholic church in Ireland has a direct correlation with a massive reduction intolerance in ireland. nothing really to do with virtuous people making a stand on twitter no matter how good it makes them feel about themselves.

Notice how those who oppose fascists aren't afforded those kinds of euphemisms. Again, it's trying to diminish the very real danger these people present while demonising anyone that opposes them..

they pose no real danger in ireland. no evidence suggests these group have any influence on the population. The only evidence I can see is irish socialist adoption of ideology from America where groups like these have influence (the southern states). we have never had that deep seeded facist/racist culture and by nature are socially conscious, prob a direct result of being an oppressed country for so long

the left are not fascist is the pure sense of the word but the are very authoritarian, which we all know doesn't end well for anyone, Stalin, Mao, take your pick.

No it's not.

No it's not. See? I can just as easily dismiss your baseless claims.

How about this: the far right and their apologists have a very keen desire to seed the idea that the term 'fascist' has lost all meaning. Because once they do that, they can't be correctly identified any more.

You mean people who set fire to prospective DP centres and the cars of TDs who commit the unforgivable sin of criticising the far right.

Should I even bother asking for evidence of "people who oppose DP centres in particular areas" being called fascists? Keep in mind I'm not interested in hearing excuses about a load of far right tools literally being bussed into an area they don't live in to stir up hatred.

Everything I don't like is far left. Truly the term has lost all meaning. :)

no one should support arson attacks on property , the far left also bussed in agitators where those DP centre opposition protests were taking place

facts are important

• Advertisement

no one should support arson attacks on property , the far left also bussed in agitators where those DP centre opposition protests were taking place

facts are important

Where do you think the protesters in those DP centre protests came from?

Advertisement